Pre-match Thread

Herman22

23 hours ago, rjenkins said:

It's a good thing I'm not a football manager, because I would be so tempted to try and stink out this game and keep it close for as long as possible.

Martinez

Tuanzebe Hause Mings Targett

Cash Luiz Nakamba McGinn

Watkins Davis

Get the ball up to Davis to hold up and go from there. Make MacPhee earn his money from set pieces. Make Sean Dyche open a bottle of wine for the game.

Villa win 1-0

Christ

that lineup is absolutely dreadful

• Like 1

If we have no Luiz and no Sanson and no Ramsey - we're buggered.

-----------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash---------Tuanzebe--------Mings------Targett

------------Young---McGinn--Nakamba-------------

Buendia----------------------------------------------Bailey

-----------------------------Watkins---------------------------

subs; Steer, Hause, Bogarde, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, A Ramsey, El Ghazi, Davis, Archer.

It's a horror show. That midfield will get run over.

We're potentially missing - Konsa, Luiz, Sanson, J Ramsey, Traore, Trezeguet, Ings and Philogene-Bidace in a game where the manager is fighting for his future.

Anyone know when the pre-match press conference is?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

subs; Steer, Hause, Bogarde, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, A Ramsey, El Ghazi, Davis, Archer.

We're potentially missing - Konsa, Luiz, Sanson, J Ramsey, Traore, Trezeguet, Ings and Philogene-Bidace in a game where the manager is fighting for his future.

I think if all of those players are out we have to look to give Chuk a start. I agree with the rest of your team but I'd start Chuk instead of Young. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think if all of those players are out we have to look to give Chuk a start. I agree with the rest of your team but I'd start Chuk instead of Young. 

I get that, but I really think that this:

---------------------------Nakamba---------------------------

Buendia----Chukwuemeka---McGinn-----Bailey

Gets run over. I think possibly we could cover for the shortfall with:

-----------------------------Martinez----------------------------

-------------Tuanzebe--Hause----Mings-----------------

Cash--------Nakamba----------McGinn-------Targett

-----------------------Chukwuemeka-------------------------

-----------------Watkins----------------Davis-----------------

But the pressure on Chukwuemeka to create just about everything as the fulcrum of the side would be enormous and I'm still not sure that works in the middle.

Maybe:

-------------Chukwuemeka------Buendia----------------

------------------------------Watkins----------------------------

Which is a bit more like the system Chelsea play.

Heck, our midfield is so weak, I'd consider the old 3-7-0!  :)

--------Buendia---Chukwuemeka---Bailey------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

-------------Chukwuemeka------Buendia----------------

------------------------------Watkins----------------------------

That's not bad actually under the circumstances, I really don't think we'll see a 3 at the back though. Might have been an opportunity for Arjan Raikhy.

What about:

-----------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Cash------------Hause----------Mings--------Targett

-----------------Tuanzebe---------McGinn----------------

Buendia----------Chukwuemeka--------------Bailey

Konsa probs more suited to DM but no choice there either. Tuanzebe is tidy enough with the ball at his feet.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, romavillan said:

What about:

I think for me its a no because of players out of position - with Tuanzebe in midfield there's a player out of position, but it's only one, it could work I suppose - however, with Konsa out, we're also asking one of our left sided centre halves to play on the right hand side of the defence and that's two players out of position in a defence that's already shakier than an old mans handshake.

I'm increasingly convinced that there isn't a good solution to this one.

I'm coming around to either play Iroegbanum next to Nakamba with McGinn in front or pray that Luiz or Sanson are available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think for me its a no because of players out of position - with Tuanzebe in midfield there's a player out of position, but it's only one, it could work I suppose - however, with Konsa out, we're also asking one of our left sided centre halves to play on the right hand side of the defence and that's two players out of position in a defence that's already shakier than an old mans handshake.

I'm increasingly convinced that there isn't a good solution to this one.

I'm coming around to either play Iroegbanum next to Nakamba with McGinn in front or pray that Luiz or Sanson are available

Yeah it's a shit situation to be in considering how much is on the line if all the noise about Smith is to be believed. I'm not sure NSWE are that short sighted though, maybe they're already planning signing our version of Anguissa in Jan to sort things out in midfield....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

That's not bad actually under the circumstances, I really don't think we'll see a 3 at the back though. Might have been an opportunity for Arjan Raikhy.

What about:

Konsa probs more suited to DM but no choice there either. Tuanzebe is tidy enough with the ball at his feet.

Thats not a bad shout, under the circumstances.

8 hours ago, romavillan said:

What about:

Been thinking the same myself about one of the CB's stepping up into DM. Out of the three Hause, Zebe and Mings would Mings be better in the DM spot? Keeps right and left footed CB's in the middle at the back then?

4 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Been thinking the same myself about one of the CB's stepping up into DM. Out of the three Hause, Zebe and Mings would Mings be better in the DM spot? Keeps right and left footed CB's in the middle at the back then?

Tuanzebe is the technically better footballer for me seeing as we can't use Konsa because of the awesome standard of refereeing in the PL. Left foot / right foot at CBs helps loads though and defensively we need all the help we can get at the moment...

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agree if we've lost Ramsey, Luiz and Sanson we're buggered. I'd start McGinn and Nakamba with Buendia ahead of them in 10. With El Ghazi and Bailey and Watkins up top. 

On 02/11/2021 at 23:21, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm sure the players will be aware of the rumours floating around smith. If they are truly behind him, they will literally throw everything at it to win that game. We live in hope.

I think this will be the response - they've clearly needed a kick up the arse and I think the penny has dropped.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Agree if we've lost Ramsey, Luiz and Sanson we're buggered. I'd start McGinn and Nakamba with Buendia ahead of them in 10. With El Ghazi and Bailey and Watkins up top. 

We're obviously between a rock and hard place here but if I had to choose a player to battle for every morsal in a match to save my job not sure I'd choose El Ghazi. 

I feel like Targett is in absolutly honking form and deserves dropping a lot more than Mings did last week. I'd be tempted to stick Young in at left back and give Carney a go. Huge pressure for him and a massive role of the dice but its do or die time in lots of ways right now. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Martinez

Cash-Tuanzebe-Mings-Targett

McGinn-Nakamba

Bailey-Buendia-El Ghazi

Watkins

For me, but christ every variation looks a bit weak with the squad we have available. If nothing else the above gets players into positions they've at least played in with some regularity (even though it's still not ideal in the cases of Buendia and McGinn) rather than completely shoe-horning players in or giving some youngsters a go which I think Smith will be averse to doing given the circumstances. If not for that I'd have wondered again if it'd be worth the risk giving Iroegbunam a go to be honest.

Luiz is a particularly big loss given how much better we've looked with him this season, but there's still enough there to hurt an underwhelming - albeit evidently difficult to beat - Southampton side this season.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

A win. That is based on blind faith rather than anything else. Our midfield looks weak no matter which way you slice it at the moment, that is the big problem. We have got goals in us which is frustrating.  Archer to come off the bench and get the winner. 3-2 to Villa.

Saints is a high pressing team. 

Have my concerns how we will cope with it.

I have them as favorites. The home advantage is huge with crowds back.