Match Thread: Villa v Wolves

limpid

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Dean Smith can win us this game if he can make the right tweaks.  Big 15 minutes ahead.

I predict we will come out and do exactly the same things for another 20-25 minutes.

• Like 2

McGinn Luiz and Buendia have been very good the problem is with Tuanzebe all 3 are demanding the bastard ball but it's taking him until they're marked to make the decision. Then he either shifts the pressure to Mings or Konsa.

Contrast with Konsa who gets ball and gives ball straight away to nearest Midfielder. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Ings and Watkins really ain't clicking together 

I'd go 4-3-3

Who do you take off though. For me Watkins isn't at the same level as last season. Even his work rate seems a bit laboured.

• Like 1

I thought that was really poor. We are playing very slow and tentative and making far too many unforced errors.

I don't think any player can come out of that half happy, apart from maybe Dougie. The rest, some have had bright moments but have also made mistakes.

I do not like this formation, it has its uses but every game just doesn't work. Ings and Watkins cannot get into the game and we are very one dimensional. Too often Tuanzebe has the freedom to run with the ball (Wolves are allowing to on purpose) as he can't pass and has nearly cost us several times. We need to take him off and change the shape immediatley.

Buendia has looked much better but at times still looks too lightweight. He at least has tried to drive us up the pitch though and his pass to Ings was sublime. 

We are so much better than this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Buendia was good. Ings and Watkins still not clicking.  Might be worth throwing Archer on in the second half if we dont score. 

We need to give up on the Ings Watkins experiment after Arsenal. We need to be going 4 3 3 at home and need Bailey, Buendia and Traore in playing behind Watkins or Ings

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

McGinn Luiz and Buendia have been very good the problem is with Tuanzebe all 3 are demanding the bastard ball but it's taking him until they're marked to make the decision. Then he either shifts the pressure to Mings or Konsa.

Contrast with Konsa who gets ball and gives ball straight away to nearest Midfielder. 

100% I'd add Emi2 can go up another couple of notches, if he does, it's in the bag 

• Like 2

Seem a bit disjointed, hate the international breaks, especially now we have quite a few players away each time. 

Adama looked dangerous for some of that half then disappeared, then came back. Him disappearing coincided with our best spell of play. 

Buendia not settling yet and no idea what's happened to Watkins. Totally different player to last season

Cash,Luiz and Konsa good so far, McGinn hit and miss, either good or giving the ball away.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Who do you take off though. For me Watkins isn't at the same level as last season. Even his work rate seems a bit laboured.

It's because he's gone from the main guy to something less, which was the risk they took by signing Ings.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I become more and more baffled by the transfer as the weeks go by, tbh. Feels like the bought him and then tried to figure out how to use him rather than signing him to solve a problem. It's not the way I expected us to be doing business these days.

The flaw with the "let's replace Grealish with 3 different players" idea is that the PL insist we only field 11 at a time.

To be fair, we haven't had a fully fit squad once this season...  Having Bailey and Traore available gives us the option to go 433 or 4231 without having to drop Ings or Watkins for El Ghazi.

• Like 1