Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

51 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Smith is still the right manager for this club.

But he is naive as all hell sometimes and needs to mature quickly as a manager or this will keep happening.

It's not enough to identify poor game management as the main factor precipitating today's loss. You have to learn from it and evolve as a result. Sometimes I get the feeling that he doesn't / we don't.

Have to improve and keep improving or else we go backwards. No room for naivety in this league.

Smith is deffo the right man for the job, don't think he was naive today he was let down by Nakamba, Young and Ramsey. We'd been playing well were 2-0 up, he made like for like changes to keep the shape and then because those three didn't play to the levels of who they replaced we let Wolves back in the game. Defensive mistakes and a huge deflection but the defence wasn't under so much pressure before because we were bossing the ball and carrying a threat before our subs. Not sure what else he coudl be doing with the bench we had if Buendia and Luiz had run out of puff and Cash had a knock?

• Like 1

This result was poor, but it’s stunningly knee jerk to call for Smith’s head! A lot going right at the club, but today the players needed to step up, they didn’t. 

Buendia showed up today, thought he showed glimpses of who we bought, this will come with time. Bailey is going to be dynamite. It’s just a shame we’ve dropped about 8 needless points already this season, this habit has to stop.

• Like 1

We lose to a last minute deflected goal.

Sack the manager,all the players are shit ......

If last few minutes don’t happen ..we are brilliant,we are going to finish top 6 ....

There are random events in any game,we have beaten Wolves last year and year before  with last minute goal mostly undeserved ,this year it’s their turn.

We weren’t brilliant but international breaks with players from Argentina and Brazil doesn’t do us any favours.

We lose 3-0 with minimal attacking threat is time to worry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Hear what you are saying but I thought Targett was actually OK, made some decent tackles I thought

He's not suddenly become a bad player. It's the concentration lapses that worry me. More than half of defending is mental.

Two players who were excellent last year have head problems right now, and they're opposite problems: Watkins is overthinking and Targett is losing concentration.

Well couldn't watch it live so had to watch the replay and just finished it.

What a big **** let down. We will never make Europe if can't stick it out and finish games. I don't care how Wolves scored the goals, still scored the damn things. We have got to be more ruthless. Just a big disappointment and a horseshit way to ruin a weekend.

Edited by Big Salad

36 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

If last few minutes don’t happen ..we are brilliant,we are going to finish top 6 ....

There are random events in any game,we have beaten Wolves last year and year before  with last minute goal mostly undeserved ,this year it’s their turn.

We weren’t brilliant but international breaks with players from Argentina and Brazil doesn’t do us any favours.

The problem was today bar a 10 minute spell, we were terrible, and in the end we got what we deserved, nothing. The time to worry is when you are 2-0 up after 80 mins and still manage to lose, that time is now. 

34 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

The problem was today bar a 10 minute spell, we were terrible, and in the end we got what we deserved, nothing. The time to worry is when you are 2-0 up after 80 mins and still manage to lose, that time is now. 

So we were terrible and Wolves had loads of chances in that 80 minutes that we were terrible in .

They dominated possession Martinez made numerous saves to keep us in the game ? No.

Did we play great ?No

We can be terrible and we have been terrible but today we were not terrible for 80 mins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Smith is deffo the right man for the job, don't think he was naive today he was let down by Nakamba, Young and Ramsey. We'd been playing well were 2-0 up, he made like for like changes to keep the shape and then because those three didn't play to the levels of who they replaced we let Wolves back in the game. Defensive mistakes and a huge deflection but the defence wasn't under so much pressure before because we were bossing the ball and carrying a threat before our subs. Not sure what else he coudl be doing with the bench we had if Buendia and Luiz had run out of puff and Cash had a knock?

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

The players coming off the bench couldn't keep the levels we were playing at before they came on unfortunately. When Buendia came off we carried almost zero threat and with no Luiz Nakamba didn't manage to break up play or keep the ball much for us either. They just grew into the game in the holes they left. Still massive deflection cost us the consolation point. On 70 minutes we deserved the win. By the end a draw was probably fair. 

The other week we had an incredibly strong bench, not true this game. Can't be too hard on Ramsey as he's still young so won't be great every time he plays but we looked really out of sorts once Buendia and Luiz came off. Had Bailey and Troare been fit we might have been able to change shape instead of going like for like and been better placed to keep the ball. 

Disappointing result but at times we did play some very good football until the last 15 minutes of the game. Not easy to be objective but there you are. McGinn had a great game and the team as a whole looked great going forward till Cash, Buendia and Luiz went off. I imagine they will be getting a bollocking after Smith has gone over the way they fell apart. 

It'll be ups and downs this season, this was a bad down after having 3 points in the bag. I'd back us to play better when we've got everyone available and we have trained together without international break disruption. 

Bar for a huge save from Emi M on traore, we could have been a goal down.....so they did have moments when they breached us throught the middle......the last 10-15 minutes they adopted a siege mentality, had nothing to lose and threw everything at it, we lost composure and control....the fact that 2 defenders scored their goals showed the magnitude of our collapse.

There were players of ours simply not prepared to fight for the ball.....and their sheer numbers created the chaos to cause confusion and bungle the ball over the line.....it was shoddy play from some of our players.

We have an innate issue of being able to play some good football....but at  the same time, we allow opposing teams to get at us too easily.

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

We win that game 2-0.....and any discerning fans, will know we have issues, by watching the play.

you don't have to lose a games like that, to know what the issues are......results like that just it make more acceptable to discuss.

even at 2-0 up on 80 minutes, trouble was brewing....and as we know it came.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Well couldn't watch it live so had to watch the replay and just finished it.

What a big **** let down. We will never make Europe if can't stick it out and finish games. I don't care how Wolves scored the goals, still scored the damn things. We have got to be more ruthless. Just a big disappointment and a horseshit way to ruin a weekend.

Europe is a pipedream playing like that.....we have periods in a game, when we are too easy to play against, that has to stop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I have a real issue with this formation. It puts too much emphasis on the 3 at the back and the full backs. They get too much time on the ball, these are not the players you want on the ball. 

You're also shoehorning Ings and Watkins into the team, neither knows where they are supposed to be.

Watkins is not a player to beat 3 men and score. He would do better wide of a front three, if Ings and him are both playing.

This is it…

We need to do away with 5 at the back and forget playing with 2 CFs. It’s an experiment or change that is not working and playing 5 defenders should only ever be an option against the strongest teams, games in which we’re likely to be dominated. I’d rather we hadn’t tried this and continued with the formation(s) of last season.

Shoehorning is just it, it’s holding us back…

I absolutely hate relying on Cash and Targett (never a WB) to create for us, Ings and Watkins does not work and is majorly hindering and hurting us.

Ramsey is over hyped or over rated and his place is on the bench, glad to see Buendia start and he will only improve with regular game time. Output is what we need and Emi gives us that. Ings should have buried that chance, Buendia will always create chances…

JJ can cover for McGinn when required. He will come good but he’s nowhere near ready yet. I hope Sanson can show he’s worthy of competing or playing alongside McGinn. MF is still an issue…

Nakamba is a shit option.

We’ve had injuries and disruptions but we must play with Bailey and Buendia as mainstays of the team and with one CF. I’d rather play with Traore than Ings & Watkins together too.

Sickened after today and pissed off, I hate 5 at the back. Get rid.

And F off with an over reliance on shitty long throws (a la vs Spurs). Now and again, ok, but not at the cost of playing with some degree of creativity and incisive passing. Which is what playing our better players and removing a defender from the side will allow.

We lost due to complacency and feeling that the game was wrapped up more than anything. Atrociously took a relaxed attitude and fell apart defensively. We had this in the bag and threw it away to a mediocre side. Tuanzebe was shit. Concentration levels went to shit.

Still seething… what a terrible end to the game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I honestly think Ings was bought to appease the fans when they realized Jack was leaving. It doesn’t work and Ollies game has gone to shit.

Back 4 and use Ings from the bench

Nothing against Ings, I like him and he’s an asset. But it’s a signing that hasn’t worked or has caused us issues… trying to fit both Watkins and Ings into the side has damaged and restricted us so far… they limit one another… 

Sod off with 5 at the back and forcing in two CFs.

• Like 1

The most sensible substitution would’ve been to remove a CF and solidify the midfield… and allow or retain some form of creativity and ability to control possession (why are we still so shit at that?!!’).

Again, Ings and Watkins is hurting us.

Defence was a shambles though… sickening joke. 

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The most sensible substitution would’ve been to remove a CF and solidify the midfield… and allow or retain some form of creativity and ability to control possession (why are we still so shit at that?!!’).

Again, Ings and Watkins is hurting us.

Defence was a shambles though… sickening joke. 

It took a long time for Smith to finally bench Barkley. 

He usually is pretty stubborn with these things. Could take a big while persisting with this formation still. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ramsey is over hyped or over rated and his place is on the bench

I don't think he's been hyped at all. To the contrary, his first few matches this year took most people by surprise and nobody was talking about him last year the way people talk about Chuk now. He proved the first few games this year that he's ready to start...but like most young players, not every game.

Edited by TomC

That's about 3 games i've watched now where nearly all of the best opportunities to shoot or cross the ball have fallen to Targett & Cash both of whom & Targett in particular are completely woefull with their shooting or final ball. If this new system is relying on those two to create for us we may as well pack up & go home.

As has been said that was on Smiths substitutions for me today. Threw it away. For me he tinkered too much as though it was 4-0 with 10 mins left rather than the very dangerous 2-0 situation which it was.  

Edited by danceoftheshamen

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Ramsey for Buendia isn't anything close to a like-for-like change. Apart from the fact that both are footballers; that's about the end of the comparison.

Edited by est1874

9 hours ago, Villastine said:

Watched the game on TV so probably a different perspective. I didn't think we were ever cruising. We were under the cosh before our second which was against the run of play. 

I'd have changed the formation at 2 up. 

To be 2-0 at home, we should 100% be closing that game out, absolutely no excuses

• Like 3

I still can't get over this defeat. 

The manner of it is what makes it unforgivable for me. 

The owners and CEO should have a meeting with Smith and ask him how on earth this could happen. 

Edited by villalad21

Gutted absolutely gutted, Dean said he didn't see that coming well I did and every one else in the ground could see it coming

IMO Ings and Ollie are not fitting together, wingers for Ings or through the midfield for Ollie.

Dropping Hause didn't make sense to me.  Tuanzebe was sadly lacking in all aspects and should have been subbed before end of first half

Talking subs I felt  they made no difference as were swapped for like for like and not to change the game apart from Ramsay

Ming's WTF, he couldn't decide if was going to be a CB, a winger or a midfielder, he was in a bloody dream world. How can he lead the team when he is out of position so often. When was the last time we had a real captain who can read the game ?

We just totally switched off 

We sang 2:0 on your big day out and they laughed at us, fair play to their supporters they sang throughout and were often the loudest. They were laughing at us and god that hurts. They will be laughing at us when we go to work Monday and the rest of the week and I don't blame them what a bunch of clowns we were.

Big apologies are due to us. I haven't felt this hurt since walking away from Wembley following the Fulham defeat. 

Â