Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Deano:

"They've had three set-pieces, two of them from corners and they've put them into the box and we've won the first contact. It was just the second phase where we went to sleep a little bit. Whether that's a lack of concentration I don't know. It certainly didn't feel like there wasn't a momentum shift, there wasn't a tactical change in the game. It was just the fact they were brighter from the second phase at set-pieces and they scored goals from that."

"Douglas was tiring and the move was always the like-for-like with Nakamba because we wanted to control it. Buendia also ran himself into the ground and asked to come off as well. He had nothing left in him. (Ramsey) was the natural one to come on. Matty Cash got a dead leg and the natural replacement was Ashley Young so they were all like-for-like replacements, and I didn't have much else to do in terms of changes in the game. There was nothing tactical involved, they just scored from the second phase of set-pieces."

I'll let those who saw the whole match decide whether that's fair or not. The criticism about going to sleep on the second phase from set pieces sound accurate. The question that goes unanswered is, why did they get two corners and a free kick near the goal when we should have been in control?

haha.....these are the questions we should be asking.

Very disappointing result. No side should lose a game being 2 up with 10 to go. Wolves made a few attacking changes but still no excuses for us to panic like that. I had no problems with the first 2 subs but not sure taking Cash off for Young before a corner was a great idea unless he really could not continue.  Ramsey made a big mistake with the foul which he will have to learn from. It was a nothing game really in which we were the better side but ended up getting 0 points from. Wolves are a bang average side so it is disappointing not to get anything from this. I am not sure on the 5-3-2 long term  as Targett is not a wing back and  we lacked width today. I cannot wait until we  can start playing Bailey or Traore. 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Just got back.

For me, its nothing to do with smith, tactucs or subs.

3 pathetic goals to concede within a total collapse - all in 10 mins.

Players should hang their heads. 

but a manager has to be responsible for his players....whether we like it or not, the hierarchy will see it that way, too.

Dean buys the players ( or says what types he needs) Dean trains the players and Dean sets the team up....they are his players.

He is not directly responsible no.....but in his own words his team mirror him.

If you went to the game or watched it.....you would know prior to the collapse, something like it, was coming.

The things that lead to a collapse in a football team, were in evidence.....The result was a surprise sure, the trouble we found ourselves in was not.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

today wasn't a good day for saying that....done far more than Luiz.

the comment wasnt with regard to today, just more of a point that like Watkins, they both seem to be picked regardless of form, obviously i didnt mean only today as McGinn did great, just that there are some players who seem untouchable regardless of form at a given time.

it would would appear that there is a growing feeling that our manager is not up to the job and plenty are willing to explain in detail why this is the case.. Would anyone like to suggest who is available to take over and move us towards the top 6. 

1 minute ago, smg said:

it would would appear that there is a growing feeling that our manager is not up to the job and plenty are willing to explain in detail why this is the case.. Would anyone like to suggest who is available to take over and move us towards the top 6. 

Not the right thread to be discussing this  but I do think Potter has a higher ceiling than Smith. 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the comment wasnt with regard to today, just more of a point that like Watkins, they both seem to be picked regardless of form, obviously i didnt mean only today as McGinn did great, just that there are some players who seem untouchable regardless of form at a given time.

oh, ok.

I feel, he still doesn't have enough contrast in the playing staff, to make seismic changes to a game.....its all like for like slight adjustments.

I still don't think the squad has enough diversity of playing style.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not the right thread to be discussing this  but I do think Potter has a higher ceiling than Smith. 

Questionable and not high enough profile for Villa fans

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Three set pieces goals conceded is simply not good enough. Too many mistakes, failure to pay attention, and silly fouls.

We were cruising. The stats don't do Wolves justice - an average, thuggish team who benefited from a poor ref.

The subs though forced didn't work. I don't see the value in defending so deep when 2-0.

Hope Smith tears them a new one.

how often have we succumbed to that.

We need players in the squad, who can resist it.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, KillieVillain said:

Had numerous drinks of alcohol and still raging about that result today !

Its a gut punch, no doubt. 10 minutes away from a clean sheet derby result, and would've gone 7th. I haven't looked at the table yet and don't intend to until I have to next week. 

4 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Shocking. The defence is piss poor at times, Mings’ head seemed gone. Deano needs to decide if it’s Ollie or Ings up front because the two together is just not bloody working.

what is working?

do you see some kind of magic turnaround should this happen?

They ain't the problem..... 2 was enough to win that game.

We can't stop opposing teams coming at us....thats the problem.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The team is a mess this season! I mean what even is the system we are supposed to be playing with this, 2 up top?

To dependent on Grealish, it's coming true, not happy with Smith today! Target on the left, Cash on the right, I mean where is the creativity coming from???

I would hazard a guess, that no system would have halted that result.....Thats simply put, players not playing well enough at stopping the opposition.

They simply took control from us and we allowed it.

40 minutes ago, smg said:

Antonio Conte

43 minutes ago, smg said:

well, its a forum....let them explain why.

it should be a good debate.

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm sorry but we're a horribly coached team. 

wow....can you explain why you have come to that conclusion?....( not a loaded question)

Â