Match Thread: Man United v Villa

limpid

Been a good half.  We look a bit suspect against their free kicks, but our defending overall has been brilliant.

Mings has been superb, but Cash probably player of the half.  He had Shaw on so much toast he had to get booked AND go off injured.

• Like 1

how are we not winning this?! I’ve not seen all of it, but I’ve watched at least 35 mins on my phone. We’ve had two glorious chances, and Konsa’s header as a third. We can absolutely do these but we need to take these chances. United restricted to pot shots. Come on Villa! 

Good half of football. Enjoying watching it because I don't seriously expect us to win but we're playing well and have been on top for long periods.

Even if we do lose it just reinforces my view that this is the strongest team we have in ages, and even with key players out we can give the "big" teams a real match.

We have clearly exceeded expectations in the first half. I'm sure we would all be happy with a draw, but we really can win this if we play the same way as the first half but have a bit more composure in front of the goal. This could be a great game to throw young cameron archer into....i'd back him to be on the end of one of those chances

Just now, KMitch said:

Great first half.  Once again, Smith gets it spot on tactically.  If Targett or Watkins had put one of their brilliant chances away, we'd be ahead.

We've frustrated ManUre and they're starting to resort to diving.  Expect to see it increase as the game goes on.  Mike Dean has been quiet so far...  but this is what scares me the most.

It has been a great half but equally if Maguire or Pogba had put one of their chance away we would be behind

The aggressive press is working well.

I think we’re going to tire in the second half, so we really need to score early in second half.

I’d like to see Buendia on for Ramsey at some point, but pretty happy with the starting 11. Luiz, McGinn and Cash are playing really well.

Playing really well this season, despite not having had our first choice team available yet. Still need to find our rythmn and that instinctive pattern of play but we are a very competitive unit. Bodes well for the second half of the season.

Apart from Watford first 60 minutes we have been pretty good in every game, haven’t looked like losing once.

• Like 1

My dad always said, the best way to play these lot is to attack them. But you MUST take your chances.

Doing OK so far, no silly mistakes and we've created two excellent chances. Does Ronaldo just walk about now, he doesn't seem as dynamic as he used to be. 

As long as Mike Dean stays out of it we have a chance to get a positive result here

Even half I suppose but we need to be more clinical/ruthless.

It’s gonna be who makes the right subs wins the game I reckon.  Buendia, Traore, Archer to come on second half perhaps?  They could use Sancho, Lingard, Cavani?

It’s great that we’ve got real options now from the bench.