Energy Bills

Genie

40 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm edging closer and closer to filling our roof with solar, adding a used electrical car battery to our shed and disconnecting from the grid all together. The return on investment time is getting smaller and smaller with these insane prices and to be honest I'm tired of propping up a failing energy system with taxes and hard earned money.

Not sure what the waiting time is, it might be it’s so long that by the time it’s in the eventual reduction in costs will be arriving.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Those oil companies must be really struggling to make ends meet. 

They "claim" they were struggling during COVID when oil was <$50 a barrel.

Heart breaking stuff.

I dread to think about the mortality rates over this winter. Energy is going to have more than doubled in a year, while the cost of living is going up in all respects. I can cut back on a few luxuries, save a bit less, I'll be fine, but people have already been cutting back. What do you do when there's no more to cut. A lot of people are going to be starving and freezing, and the government is putting profits first.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61562657

The boss of the UK's energy regulator has warned that the energy price cap is expected to rise to around £2,800 in October.

Jonathan Brearley told MPs that the price cap, which is currently at £1,971, will increase due to continued volatility in the gas market.

He said the price rises were a "once in a generation event not seen since the oil crisis in the 1970s".

The Ofgem chief executive apologised and pledged to "fix" the energy market.

The energy price cap is the maximum price per unit that suppliers can charge customers.

It has already risen sharply in April, meaning that homes using a typical amount of gas and electricity are now paying an extra £700 per year on average.

While Mr Brearley said that Ofgem was only part way through reviewing prices ahead of the change in autumn, he said:"We are expecting a price cap in October in the region of £2,800."

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

At what point do people revolt against this?

There must be a societal wide breaking point.

Do Brits even riot about worthy things anymore? It's usually something trivial that gets us fuming. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

At what point do people revolt against this?

There must be a societal wide breaking point.

Has this not yet been made illegal by the government?

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 16:31, foreveryoung said:

I know generally motorway services fuel is more expensive, cause they like to take the piss out of us drivers when we stop for a snack. Generally I pay £1.74 a litre at Tesco, £1.84 Esso, but at Knutsford services yesterday and a few others I've seen it was £199.9 a Litre for diesel, that's not far off £10 a gallon. 🙄

It's not far off £1000 a gallon actually. :P

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Has this not yet been made illegal by the government?

I've no idea what lengths one needs to go to in order to achieve a peaceful protest these days, but a long hot, dry and expensive summer, and it'll just take a spark, people are angry.

Prices for raw materials are already going back down. The big wig companies realised the prices could keep going up and people will accept it and pay it anyway.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Prices for raw materials are already going back down. The big wig companies realised the prices could keep going up and people will accept it and pay it anyway.

It’s alright we’ll just buy our stuff from Europe instead… ah, bugger.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This needs rapid action.

I propose a paper on the feasibility of looking in to the inventing a new sort of nuclear reactor.

Surely that's something we can outsource to China, because being reliant on a foreign nation with whom we have an uneasy relationship couldn't introduce any foreseeable problems to our energy supply.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Surely that's something we can outsource to China, because being reliant on a foreign nation with whom we have an uneasy relationship couldn't introduce any foreseeable problems to our energy supply.

i hear Russia has some cheap gas they'd like to flog.

People who can't afford the bills, won't pay them, simples. They can't cut you off anymore like they did in the 80's so who cares. You try and get the money out of them, even if it goes to court, there will be a good case to argue.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People who can't afford the bills, won't pay them, simples. They can't cut you off anymore like they did in the 80's so who cares. You try and get the money out of them, even if it goes to court, there will be a good case to argue.

I can't see the courts siding with people over businesses

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They can't cut you off anymore like they did in the 80's so who cares

They can disconnect people, but it's an absolute last resort (and vulnerable people can't be disconnected over winter). What they can do, which has no such restriction, is get a court order to enter the premises and install a prepayment meter. This isn't a rare event, it happens to tens of thousands oh households per year, the courts will rubber stamp these if people aren't paying and making an honest attempt to come to repayment terms.

Of course, the people who have such poor finances that they need to have these installed then have to pay higher unit rates than other customers, just to really kick people while they're down.

Just think about all of the innovation they can do now. Makes me proud to be paying my share :) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-61578102

Energy company SSE has announced an operating profit of £1.5bn, a 15% year-on-year increase.

The Perth-based firm plans to invest more than £15bn in Scotland's energy infrastructure this decade to help boost provision of clean energy.

The investment includes new offshore wind, carbon capture and storage, and hydroelectric power.

SSE chief executive Alistair Phillips-Davies said the company was "only just getting started."

The firm said that assuming a "continued supportive policy environment", it would invest significantly more than it makes in profits over the next few years.

Edited by Davkaus

Reports tonight that government is to scrap the £200 energy bill loan in October and replace it with a grants plan of up to £400 per household that won't have to be paid back.Could also be help for worst off with council tax reductions and benefit increases. Partly paid for via a windfall tax on oil and gas companies something they could have done weeks ago but I guess the bastards waited until it could be used as a distraction.

Â