Energy Bills

Genie

2 minutes ago, og1874 said:

How much is a litre of unleaded in the uk these days?

Roughly £1.65, with premium (99 RON) at about £1.78

4 minutes ago, og1874 said:

How much is a litre of unleaded in the uk these days?

There is quite a disparity across towns let alone the UK. In Stafford, northern part of the west midlands 166.9 per litre of unleaded, 178.9 for diesel. 

Edited by Seat68

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Roughly £1.65, with premium (99 RON) at about £1.78

Ouch. I thought it'd be close enough to here. That said, we have a max octane of 91 which is about $2/l (~£1.22). Regular, 87 octane, is $1.65/l right now (~£1) - this time 2 years ago it was 72c/l (~44p)

On 05/04/2022 at 23:03, sidcow said:

Don't understand all this use of tumble dryers. We've 2 kids that overload the washing machine but in the summer everything dries on the line and in winter everything dries in front of the radiators. What the **** does anyone need a tumble dryer for? 

I don't have radiators

OK Lesson number 1 on plug in electricity meters.   This is important.

If your cost per kilowatt hour is 27.86 pence do not load it into the meter as £27.86!

Was about to scrap my beer fridge before I realised my error.

• Haha 2

Deisel price weirdness!

As I've been saying, the prices by mine recently have been consistenly higher than the local average and they always were a couple of pence a litre more than garages in and around Liverpool itself

This weekend, all three chain garages, the two EG ones and the BP are £1:70.9, the Tesco which doesn't appear to be capable of changing it's prices over the weekend has been caught out because on Thursday they put their prices up by 1p to £1:71.9 so we have the really strange situation of the supermarket being the most expensive.

Not only that but I've been out and about today and our prices seem to be the cheapest on Merseyside (this side of the river at least), I didn't see one garage that was less than £1:75.9 and I have been into the city centre and  even touched on St Helens and South Liverpool

Even the other garage a bit further away which always has stupidly high prices has come down to £1:75.9 (it was £1:85.9 earlier in the week) so is still as cheap as the rest of the Merseyside region

Bloody strange times

image.png.825da9fab50e4592b13cf88a5c792112.png

Some may remember in 2008 when the price of oil spiked due to the actions of OPEC.. Well it appears that, although the cost of petrol/diesel is very heavily impacted by the price of a barrel of oil, even in 2008, when the price of a barrel was $140, that the petrol/diesel prices didn't "catch up" to that.  I can't help but think this is all blatant profiteering by the oil companies, who despite announcing record profits last year, even through covid, want to "catch up" with a lack of sales.

image.png.74ece43ad3f88359bda74c842147a2eb.png

With the price of a barrel of oil dropping to $20 last year (remember America having to PAY TO GIVE OIL AWAY because they had no storage?), it just seems like too much of a coincidence.. I don't even think the Ukraine/Russian war has had such a big affect as some may imagine.. 

It's weird.

• Like 3

A petrol station near me has notices on some of the pumps that they are 'pay first pumps'. I assume this is because these pumps aren't visible on CCTV or something and the price rise has seen the chances of people doing runners going up. 

There's a problem with this, though. You can go pay at the desk first, but there's no way of them monitoring how much you've actually put in. There's nothing to stop you saying you want to put in £50 of unleaded and then filling up to whatever amount you want. So it's effectively an honesty system. It's completely stupid.

Edited by Chindie

I actually don't fill up much these days as I barely go anywhere, so it's actually been so long since I filled the car that I had no idea what the cost of filling up was now. Until the other day when the tank was basically empty and I had to bite the bullet.

I drive a 1l, 20 year old car. When I bought it it cost £28 to fill up. This time? Over £40. I've never seen the number go up so quick when filling up. Thank **** I don't have a bigger car.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A petrol station near me has notices on some of the pumps that they are 'pay first pumps'. I assume this is because these pumps aren't visible on CCTV or something and the price rise has seen the chances of people doing runners going up. 

There's a problem with this, though. You can go pay at the desk first, but there's no way of them monitoring how much you've actually put in. There's nothing to stop you saying you want to put in £50 of unleaded and then filling up to whatever amount you want. So it's effectively an honesty system. It's completely stupid.

This reminds me when being on holiday in Florida with a hire car. You'd always have to pay cash or card first at the till and say $30 on pump 2. Then proceed to fill and the pump would cut out on $30.

Complete nightmare for trying to return the hire car with a full tank and you'd never know how much it was to brim it.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe they effectively block £100 from your account until the actual amount clears. 

It's profiteering I've no doubt. Shockingly went up after the panic buying and has ever since. The prices have never been so wide apart either. Around £1.70 for deisel up to around £1.85 , even over £1.90 at some services. I have a fuel card, but still refuse to pay top prices.

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

OPEC = Oil Mafia.

Well yes but that isn't what is happening here. OPEC control the price of crude oil but the price of crude compared to the price at the pump seem to have got rather out of sync. The fuel processors (Shell, BP etc) are probably making a much bigger cut themselves now than they used to. Then add into that the inflationary tactics of the independent retaillers (Forget the branding, this is people like EG who own ASDA etc) and the prices of fuel are not reflecting the OPEC prices like they used to. The processors and the forecourts are making much higher percentages

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I believe they effectively block £100 from your account until the actual amount clears. 

Nah, you are talking about different things. You are talking about pay at the pump like a lot of Supermarkets let you do (or force you to in the case of ASDA), what Chindie is talking about are normal garages that won't let you put fuel in, until you walk in and pay for the fuel before they turn the pump on.

You are right though about the pay at pump one, Tesco reserves about £100 from your account and it can take hours for the balance to be returned, so I always just walk in and pay at the supermarkets (and hence why I don't use ASDA)

• Thanks 1

Â