Energy Bills

Genie

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Sorry to be a maths pedant, but that's not how percentages work.

If gas used to cost 1 pound, an increase of 200% means it goes to £3. Then a fall of 63% means it falls by £1.89 meaning it now costs £1.11 - an increase of 11% from the starting price.

[end pedantry]

But your overall point, or that in the tweet has a bit of merit, though suppliers buy at a price point for the next (say) 6 months, so it takes time for falls or increases to filter through.

This is kinda what I said above, so prices will fall. But bills apparently are going up again in October, so go figure???

From what I can gather the UK wholesale price has dropped because a load of liquified gas has arrived in the UK at the same time as Spring hit and demand dropped off a cliff. 

UK has little gas storage facilities so they can't hold it back and need to get rid at a time nobody wants it. 

I suspect this will be irrelevant when demand ramps back up in Autumn and we're back competing on the World Market. This is just my uneducated guess work. 

On 21/05/2022 at 09:30, Xela said:

183.9 on Thursday. 

Highest i've ever paid at that station. 

Now 189.9

Horrendous. 

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Now 189.9

Horrendous. 

Yep that’s the diesel price here, shot up in the last few days. Tesco still 179.9I know where I’m feeling up for tonight’s shift

£75.00 now gets me 365 miles in my car, used to be around 530 miles, it's really is extortionate if you do alot of driving now.

These self serve places I've found are the cheapest for fuel, where you pay on card only and they is no shop or cashier. Or if you have a Costco card and there is one local, it's £1.70 litre.

I don't quite understand how the haulage industry aren't complaining more like they did last time. There fuel bills must be horrendous now!

Edited by foreveryoung

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't quite understand how the haulage industry aren't complaining more like they did last time. There fuel bills must be horrendous now!

The bigger ones will bulk buy and bunker it on site to hedge the cost a little bit. Plus i'd wager most hauliers will have fuel escalators built into their contracts, which protect them. Ultimately its me and you that pay for it as the cost of the goods that are being hauled end up going up in price to cover it. 

There's a station near me that is so erratic with its prices. Currently it's unleaded is 191.9 and Diesel 189.9

The other 2 on the same road are 173.9 and think diesel is about 187.9.

There has been times where its been cheaper than the other 2. There can't be many places where it is more expensive for unleaded than diesel.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In 4 weeks ut will be £2 a litre.

Its **** ridiculous 

199.9 at the services today. I didn't need any fuel, but noticed it. 

Don' think I've ever seen it over £2

So much talk and upset about energy prices. 

Do we just cease supporting Ukraine and go all in to buy Russian Gas and Oil?  Would sort out a lot of the issues and bring down prices alot. 

I'm not saying we should do but this is the inevitable argument that's going take place as people get more and more angry. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So much talk and upset about energy prices. 

Do we just cease supporting Ukraine and go all in to buy Russian Gas and Oil?  Would sort out a lot of the issues and bring down prices alot. 

I'm not saying we should do but this is the inevitable argument that's going take place as people get more and more angry. 

No, the government should stop taking enormous amounts of tax and vat on the price fuel is now at. Their making more in tax than the fuel companies out of these price rises , far more as they have no increased costs to cover. They should also make sure wholesale prices are reflected in pump prices. But they won't because it benefits them with huge tax revenues that covers their incompetence in dishing out Billions in handouts to failed IT projects and their mates PPE companies. 

£2.00+ a litre in some garages already and predicted to become common place over next few weeks. Can't go on like this for much longer before the government have to stop sitting on their hands and do something. The 5p cut in fuel duty was swallowed up weeks ago.

Fuel duty is still 53p on top of the 20% VAT so they have actually clawed that 5p back in VAT as prices have risen by about 25p a litre over the last couple of months.

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Got an email today saying my gas/electric is going up to £415. I was paying about £180 a year ago.  

I can manage (just) but **** me. 

Holy shit!  I assume they’re already building in some of the winter increase in the price cap.

Just now, ender4 said:

Holy shit!  I assume they’re already building in some of the winter increase in the price cap.

Yeh they are recommend that monthly's payment to cover winter based on usual usage. I guess I should have fixed it when we had all the warnings last year but I foolishly thought it was an over reaction about how high it would go. . Will shop around tomorrow and see if can get it down.  

Â