Energy Bills

Genie

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, it’s for that reason I’m pleased there is something for all in this announcement.

A father of 3 or 4 kids might earn £50k and still be absolutely crippled by the cost of living increases. £400 will at least cover a couple of months of energy during the winter.

I'm sure you could make a few cuts with 3 or 4 kids and 50k a year to survive.

Although I'm still trying to understand how the energy companies need an average of £1200 a year extra off nearly every family, plus the obscene amount of profit from fuel, just to keep there heads above water???

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Although I'm still trying to understand how the energy companies need an average of £1200 a year extra off nearly every family, plus the obscene amount of profit from fuel, just to keep there heads above water???

They're not saying they do.   The price of gas and oil fluctuates on the global market due to supply and demand.  The price is just high at the moment due to various reasons and so the gas sells at the higher market rate.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

l also wish they wouldn't give money to everyone, as not all of us need it, and give more to those most in need but I understand sometimes it is easier to do it universally rather than means test it. 

I'm incredibly fortunate in that my wife and I both have fairly well paid jobs. Not that this isn't / won't hurt but ultimately we can afford the upcoming rises. 

The £400 is of course most welcome but in honesty I do think it would be better giving an extra £200 each to 2 poorer households. 

Then of course there are many for whom £400 won't even register, just a bit of loose change. That doesn't seem right at all. But at least something is being done to help those poor sods that this is going to hit like a ton of bricks. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So a windfall tax on energy companies.

£400 to every household.

£350 extra to pensioners.

£650 extra (or instead of £400?) to low income households.

£150 extra to disabled people.

That's a bit better!

It's almost made me forget about partygate.:D

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm incredibly fortunate in that my wife and I both have fairly well paid jobs. Not that this isn't / won't hurt but ultimately we can afford the upcoming rises. 

The £400 is of course most welcome but in honesty I do think it would be better giving an extra £200 each to 2 poorer households. 

Then of course there are many for whom £400 won't even register, just a bit of loose change. That doesn't seem right at all. But at least something is being done to help those poor sods that this is going to hit like a ton of bricks. 

Yep, i'd agree.  I don't need the £400 so would be fine with it being distributed amongst poorer households. 

But i think someone pointed out above/in another thread that means testing can become complicated and expensive, so sometimes its just better to give it to everyone.

Have they revealed how these payments will be deployed? Is it £400 credit on the Gas/Electric account?

Edit: it looks like it’s paid to the energy companies who apply the credit to the household account.

Edited by Genie

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have they revealed how these payments will be deployed? Is it £400 credit on the Gas/Electric account?

Edit: it looks like it’s paid to the energy companies who apply the credit to the household account.

I'd imagine direct debits (assuming pay by DD) will be adjusted once it has been credited in October so based on average usage of £2800 a year instead of direct debits of £233 a month takes it down to £200 a month.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd imagine direct debits (assuming pay by DD) will be adjusted once it has been credited in October so based on average usage of £2800 a year instead of direct debits of £233 a month takes it down to £200 a month.

Yeah, British Gas is pretty good for stating if payments need to go up or down. Once the £400 lands I expect it’ll alert me to adjust my DD.

I wonder if there’s anything to stop the inevitable, some people will say they want to keep the DD the same and withdraw it as a lump sum.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If your that well off and don't need it, maybe you know someone who does?

Just now, foreveryoung said:

If your that well off and don't need it, maybe you know someone who does?

Yeah, I don't feel strongly enough to give it away once it's been given, but if it had just gone elsewhere in the first instance I wouldn't have thought hard done by.

• Like 1

Maybe there ought to be some kind of national fund set up to help people contribute.  Is there an official charity with a specific drive on this?

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

You can always donate your £400 to a foodbank if you so wish

• Like 2

On 26/05/2022 at 13:06, markavfc40 said:

I agree totally. Be under no illusions though to many of us these rising costs might mean saving a couple of hundred pounds a month less, going on holiday twice a year instead of three times, buying a slightly lower spec new car..... 

I don't think many of us go on holiday 3 times a year and drive around in new cars. Not really a cost of living crisis for those fortunate folk.

Edited by stuart_75
  • Confused 1

On 26/05/2022 at 13:59, sidcow said:

Think of how many double bacon cheeseburgers you can order off Uber Eats with £400. 

Â