Energy Bills

Genie

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Reports tonight that government is to scrap the £200 energy bill loan in October and replace it with a grants plan of up to £400 per household that won't have to be paid back.Could also be help for worst off with council tax reductions and benefit increases. Partly paid for via a windfall tax on oil and gas companies something they could have done weeks ago but I guess the bastards waited until it could be used as a distraction.

It’ll be good if it’s every home. Just because some people are not earning minimum wage doesn’t mean they also don’t need help.

• Like 1

UK households are set to have hundreds of pounds knocked off energy bills this winter as part of a £10bn package to help people cope with soaring prices.

The government is to scrap a plan to give people £200 off bills from October which would be repaid over five years.

Instead, the BBC understands that sum will be increased and possibly doubled, and will not need to be paid back.

Additional help for those on the lowest incomes is also expected.

The support, to be announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak later, is expected to be largely funded by a windfall tax on oil and gas firms that could raise £7bn.

Seems like a thing then. link

On 24/05/2022 at 13:45, TreeVillan said:

Do Brits even riot about worthy things anymore? It's usually something trivial that gets us fuming. 

Migrants crossing the Chanel gets a few people going.

It was kind of inevitable given the circumstances, and I think it makes sense. It's not something that should be done lightly but prices have gone up so much the normal rules shouldn't apply at this point.

Also the good news is that apparently the price of gas has collapsed in the UK because so much LNG has reached our shores recently. It'll take some time for this reduction in prices to work through the system because energy companies hedge their prices X months in advance, but it does mean that the upward trend reversing is locked in at this point.

I suppose the one good thing that might have come about as a result of partygate is that it's encouraged the government to do a bit more to help out their voters. I don't believe the timing is coincidental personally.

12 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It was kind of inevitable given the circumstances, and I think it makes sense. It's not something that should be done lightly but prices have gone up so much the normal rules shouldn't apply at this point.

Also the good news is that apparently the price of gas has collapsed in the UK because so much LNG has reached our shores recently. It'll take some time for this reduction in prices to work through the system because energy companies hedge their prices X months in advance, but it does mean that the upward trend reversing is locked in at this point.

Won't most of the LNG in the UK go on to Europe?  And as Europe (except Germany) are trying to reduce their dependence on Russian gas, they are going to need a lot more LNG before prices start heading back down?

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

but Boris said they don’t do tax increases :lol: 

What was that, about 4 weeks after their NI hike came into force?

The man has never deliberately told the truth.

• Like 1

Good to see the Government have targeted those worse off with the support for the poorest amounting to £1100 over the year. Pensioners will get £850 and for the rest of us it totals £550 (inc the £150 c/tax rebate).

With the average gas/electric costs up from £1200 a year in March to £2800 come October, huge increases in food and fuel costs then I can't help but think this isn't enough help for the worse off but it is a start and better than continuing to do f all. I also wish they wouldn't give money to everyone, as not all of us need it, and give more to those most in need but I understand sometimes it is easier to do it universally rather than means test it. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I also wish they wouldn't give money to everyone, as not all of us need it, and give more to those most in need but I understand sometimes it is easier to do it universally rather than means test it. 

I know what you mean by this but there will be plenty of people on middle and higher income who desperately need too. It would take too much time and money for targeted relief than to apply to all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know what you mean by this but there will be plenty of people on middle and higher income who desperately need too. It would take too much time and money for targeted relief than to apply to all.

That's why I said it is easier to do it universally than means test it. Obviously those of us who don't need it, or don't need it anywhere near as much as others much worse off, have the option to give it to those who do need it way more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That's why I said it is easier to do it universally than means test it. Obviously those of us who don't need it, or don't need it anywhere near as much as others much worse off, have the option to give it to those who do need it way more. 

Yes, it’s for that reason I’m pleased there is something for all in this announcement.

A father of 3 or 4 kids might earn £50k and still be absolutely crippled by the cost of living increases. £400 will at least cover a couple of months of energy during the winter.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, it’s for that reason I’m pleased there is something for all in this announcement.

A father of 3 or 4 kids might earn £50k and still be absolutely crippled by the cost of living increases. £400 will at least cover a couple of months of energy during the winter.

I agree totally. Be under no illusions though to many of us these rising costs might mean saving a couple of hundred pounds a month less, going on holiday twice a year instead of three times, buying a slightly lower spec new car..... where as for those worst off even with this help they are still going to have to skip a meal/meals every day and sit in a coat in a freezing house etc.

As I say I get why they have had to do it the way they have and it would have been the same regardless of the colour of tie the Chancellor was wearing. I just hope those of us who can do it make sure that this money they have given to us is passed on to those who need it most either directly to someone you know or via a charity. 

Edited by markavfc40

So a windfall tax on energy companies.

£400 to every household.

£350 extra to pensioners.

£650 extra (or instead of £400?) to low income households.

£150 extra to disabled people.

That's a bit better!

Â