Energy Bills

Genie

Well one of the garages by me went up to £1:71.9 today but that still makes it 0.8p cheaper than ASDA which used to be the absolute cheaspest (apart from Costco but you need to be a member there)

On 18/03/2022 at 21:59, Davkaus said:

I'd also recommend you send me £160 a month for me to look after for you. 

The best thing to do if you're worried about paying the bills in a few month's time is check your usage over the year and your current rates, and project it yourself, then stick a bit of cash in a current account or savings account that's at least generating a small amount of interest for you instead of them.

There's nothing compelling them to ensure their "recommendations" even out over the length of the contract, and what business wouldn't love an interest free loan?

Told you.

The robbing **** have been dipping their hands in to your bank accounts for an interest free loan. I didn't realise it was banned, to be fair, but it hardly matters when they do it anyway

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/energy-firms-investigated-increasing-direct-26719945#l20sc1krban7kz40fia

Some of the country's biggest energy firms are to be investigated over claims they have been overcharging customers following a surge in the price cap.

Ofgem, the market regulator, said that there have been “troubling signs” that some companies have increased households' direct debits by more than necessary to cover a £693 increase in average bills.

Suppliers are allowed to raise monthly charges, but it must be according to the household's usage and you must be notified of this beforehand - usually at least 10 days before it goes up.

Customers can dispute this amount, or submit an exact meter reading to ensure the increase is linked to their actual usage.

Ofgem also said some businesses may have been directing customers to tariffs that are not in their best interests.

Charging customers more than necessary allows suppliers to build up a cash safety net in case wholesale prices surge again in the wake of the Ukraine crisis. The practice is banned because it is unfair to the consumer.

Ofgem is now launching a series of reviews to assess whether energy retailers are complying to these rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put some diesel in the car for first time in a couple of weeks at local ASDA, which is almost always the cheapest by me, and it cost £1.73.7. I think this is the most I have ever paid.  Couple of weeks ago I paid just over £1.70. Petrol was just over £1.59. 

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Just put some diesel in the car for first time in a couple of weeks at local ASDA, which is almost always the cheapest, and it cost £1.73.7.I think this is the most I have ever paid.  Couple of weeks ago I paid just over £1.70. Petrol was just over £1.59. 

Asda by me is more expensive than other garages. 

My prepaid debit card account whixh my son sometimes uses (Monese) were offering me supermarket gift cards for 20% less than their value. Free money? It seemed too good to be true but I was feeling lucky. I bought a £100 one for Morrisons for £80 and put £50 in my tank, worked a treat.

Effectively makes it 137.6p a litre 👌 

• Like 3

So a £600 million windfall tax is 12 days profit for BP, and obviously MUCH less than that when you add in all the other companies too

Makes the Tories claim seem even more bizarre than it already was.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The Italians have increased the windfall tax on energy companies to 25% while at the same time unveiling a €14 bn package to assist with the rising cost of energy. 

An increase from the 10% announced in mid March.

Whilst here the government increased the “cap” on energy costs by 54% to allow energy suppliers to make even more money.

No movement on the promised Brexit benefit of no VAT on home energy.

It seems like it’s all setup to channel billions into the pockets of shareholders. Joe public pays more at the pump, more at home, more deducted from his wages, more at the supermarket, more for his clothes.

Its an outrage that those who make the decisions are protected from the result of their incompetence.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Genie said:

BP announces £4.9b profit for the quarter. £4,900,000,000 in 3 months.

£1,633,333,333 a month.

A little under £54.5 million A DAY in profit.

What's hilarious is how different news channels with different agenda's report this. According to Sky it's complete doom and gloom because they've actually made a £20.5b loss due to the write off of their Russian business ventures. 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whilst here the government increased the “cap” on energy costs by 54% to allow energy suppliers to make even more money.

No movement on the promised Brexit benefit of no VAT on home energy.

It seems like it’s all setup to channel billions into the pockets of shareholders. Joe public pays more at the pump, more at home, more deducted from his wages, more at the supermarket, more for his clothes.

Its an outrage that those who make the decisions are protected from the result of their incompetence.

Incompetence? I would argue they knew exactly what they were doing. They played the public for fools, were and continue to be backed to the hilt by a section of said public.

And all to line the pockets of the shareholders (their mates) that you’ve mentioned. And in turn they get rewarded as opposed to being held accountable. 

• Like 1

Shell made $9.13bn (£7.3bn) in the first three months of the year, nearly triple its $3.2bn profit it announced for the same period last year. 

But the firm said pulling out of Russian oil and gas due to the Ukraine conflict had cost it $3.9bn (£3.1bn).

Not bad, £81,100,000 profit PER DAY whilst  many have to decide whether to heat one room, or eat.

BBC

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not bad, £81,100,000 profit PER DAY whilst  many have to decide whether to heat one room, or eat.

BBC

It's disgusting mate, an absolute scandal. Bring on the windfall tax if it helps reduce bills. I very much doubt they would stop investing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's disgusting mate, an absolute scandal. Bring on the windfall tax if it helps reduce bills. I very much doubt they would stop investing.

The only thing a tax will help is the government by giving them a bigger slice of the pie to waste on crap projects.

The fuel crisis is masking a cartel run by the fuel companies, the price of a barrel of oil isnt being represented by the price at the pump. 

Â