Energy Bills

Genie

Lots happening in the country at the moment, I’m personally waiting to see what my new tariff looks like as I’ve been moved across from The Peoples Energy to British Gas.

As they’d gone bump I cancelled my direct debit with The Peoples Energy to avoid my money going into a black hole. Now I’m getting grumpy emails about it, my payment isn’t even due until next month.

My current fix for £65 a month runs out in 6 weeks and the best fix I can get now is £118. I'm weighing up whether to just stay on the price cap for a few months and hope things die down before April when the cap will go up significantly, but it all hindges on there being cheaper fixes out by then.

Edited by Davkaus

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lots happening in the country at the moment, I’m personally waiting to see what my new tariff looks like as I’ve been moved across from The Peoples Energy to British Gas.

As they’d gone bump I cancelled my direct debit with The Peoples Energy to avoid my money going into a black hole. Now I’m getting grumpy emails about it, my payment isn’t even due until next month.

Who from? Haven't they ceased to trade?

I pay £54 a month combined gas and electric - Scottish Power. I'm not on any fix at the moment

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Who from? Haven't they ceased to trade?

I pay £54 a month combined gas and electric - Scottish Power. I'm not on any fix at the moment

The Peoples Energy, I assume it’s automatic emails as they have had a notification I’ve cancelled my DD. You’d think they’d turn them off.
I’m currently paying £95 a month for gas and electric but I’m braced for a significant increase on the BG price. Once it’s fully setup I can decide what to do. I assume locking in now will be pretty rubbish so I might ride out the next few months (like @Davkaus) and then see what deals are around in the new year.

Lookaftermybills seem to be on the case (they switched me to The Peoples Energy). They notified me before TPE that they’d gone bust and told me I was a British Gas customer before BG contacted me.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Am/Was with People's Energy, was very pissed off at knowing BG were picking my line up - I'll be in touch with "pay my bills", who put me on decent tariffs without me having to fart around (if anyone wants a recommendation code, I can supply!) - to move me away from BG ASAP - they are truly appalling (I'm an energy manager).  

I'm also in £160 credit with People's Energy, so I can see annoying calls trying to get that returned to me.. 

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Am/Was with People's Energy, was very pissed off at knowing BG were picking my line up - I'll be in touch with "pay my bills", who put me on decent tariffs without me having to fart around (if anyone wants a recommendation code, I can supply!) - to move me away from BG ASAP - they are truly appalling (I'm an energy manager).  

I'm also in £160 credit with People's Energy, so I can see annoying calls trying to get that returned to me.. 

have you cancelled your DD with them? I did just to make sure my money doesn’t fall through the gaps.

• Thanks 1

Another one circles the drain.

https://news.sky.com/story/igloo-on-brink-of-collapse-as-energy-supplier-casualty-list-mounts-12414193

Igloo Energy is close to being added to the list of supplier casualties as the fallout from surging gas prices continues to shrink the number of players operating in UK’s domestic energy market.

Sky News understands that Igloo is in talks with Alvarez & Marsal, a professional services firm which has already been lined up to advise Green, another small energy supplier, on a potential insolvency process.

Igloo, which was founded in 2016, was among a handful of suppliers ordered by the industry regulator, Ofgem, this week to pay cash into a government renewable energy scheme or risk losing their licences.

The others were Colorado Energy, Neon Reef Limited, Whoop Energy Limited and Symbio Energy.

Igloo has now stopped taking on new customers, and has added a notice to its website saying "the state of the wholesale energy market is the worst we have ever seen it".

If Igloo does succumb to the pressures engulfing the market, it will be at least the sixth to collapse this month, following the likes of Utility Point and PfP Energy.

We had around 65-70 suppliers this time last year. We'll probably be down to single figures by the new year without drastic intervention regardless of the government's wishful thinking.

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Another one circles the drain.

Jesus. Dropping like flies, I expected it but not this quickly. This is going to put an awful lot of people out of work in the next few weeks.

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-supplier-green-to-cease-trading-as-it-becomes-latest-casualty-of-energy-crisis-12414462

Energy supplier Green has become the latest victim of the crisis engulfing the sector as it collapsed, blaming "unprecedented market conditions and regulatory failings".

Green, which has more than 250,000 customers and 185 staff, confirmed that it would cease trading a day after Sky News revealed that it had lined up advisers to oversee a potential insolvency.

https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/

Avro Energy is ceasing to trade. Ofgem, the energy regulator, is appointing a new supplier for its customers.

For anyone forcibly looking for a new supplier, I've had quite a few over the years and I've got nothing but good things to say about Octopus who are my current one. Good prices, an affordable green tariff, and the customer service has been really good every time I've spoken to them. Heard similar things about Ovo too, so they're another one to consider.

(If you fancy switching over then DM for a referral code, I seem to recall they're fairly generous!)

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 3

Link

What is Martin Lewis’ advice for customers?

Regulator Ofgem sets an energy price cap in order to safeguard customers on default tariffs and takes into account costs to supply energy. From 1 October the price cap will increase to £1,277.

Mr Lewis highlighted the cap was based on prices in the run-up to August, he said: “Prices have exploded since then. So the price cap will change in six months.”

Mr Lewis suggested that, based on the “current run-rate”, the price cap from 1 April may be more than £1,500 a year, based on typical usage.

One option, he said is that “prices have gone up so much the price cap is now not a bad deal for the next six months and you get six months of protection.” 

“Or you could bide your time and cross your fingers and wait and just go onto the price cap when your current deal finishes… because it cannot go up until 1 April.”

A second option is to “try and lock into a one or two-year fixed rate.”

8 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

In exactly the same boat almost word for word. I moved away from British Gas after the whole fire and rehire thing with their engineers. I resent being with them even as a place holder while I wait for Look After My Bills to move me. 

• Like 3

Just realised my fixed rate expired in June and I'm currently on variable rate, so I am basically ****. 

It really makes me angry that they force them to put all nonsensical gobbledygook on their statements that mean nothing to you and yet they're not forced to write/e-mail you with a simple message that your deal has expired. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just realised my fixed rate expired in June and I'm currently on variable rate, so I am basically ****. 

It really makes me angry that they force them to put all nonsensical gobbledygook on their statements that mean nothing to you and yet they're not forced to write/e-mail you with a simple message that your deal has expired. 

As above, you’re probably more protected now on the variable rate which is capped than jumping onto a fixed deal which is not capped

Â