Energy Bills

Genie

My initial gas and leccy bill said it didn't need to change which I refused to believe. Now have had to send a new reading and looks like about a 90% increase coming up.  Basically anything that does not go up in price in the next 6 months is a price drop.  I am fortunate enough to adjust to these prices but I reckon a lot of people are really going to struggle by the winter.

Edited by The Fun Factory

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

My initial gas and leccy bill said it didn't need to change which I refused to believe. Now have had to send a new reading and looks like about a 90% increase coming up.  Basically anything that does not go up in price in the next 6 months is a price drop.  I am fortunate enough to adjust to these prices but I reckon a lot of people are really going to struggle by the winter.

The pubs will be full every night of the week, it'll be cheaper to get pissed than heat your house

Just read an article about fuel prices in Australia, and the taxi drivers branding it "a joke". It's currently AUS $1.80 per litre. 

That's around  a quid a litre, and they're complaining??? 

It hasn't been that cheap here for about twenty **** years. 

Why do we appear to pay more than any other **** on the planet? 

😠

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just read an article about fuel prices in Australia, and the taxi drivers branding it "a joke". It's currently AUS $1.80 per litre. 

That's around  a quid a litre, and they're complaining??? 

It hasn't been that cheap here for about twenty **** years. 

😠

Fuel duty is a flat rate of 53p per litre plus VAT of 20% on the product price and the duty.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Why are we still using the filthy internal combustion engine, when the vast majority of energy generated is lost as heat rather than motion?

Market protection that spans decades, of course.

Enough moaning now. Back to the pumps with you, prole ;)

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

The twitter thread below from Martin Lewis is worth a read. The context is that Ofgem proposes to change the price cap change from every 6 months to every 3 months. They are also proposing to introduce measures to stop companies being able to undercut the price cap. There measure will in the words of Martin Lewis have dire consequences for consumers. 

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The twitter thread below from Martin Lewis is worth a read. The context is that Ofgem proposes to change the price cap change from every 6 months to every 3 months. They are also proposing to introduce measures to stop companies being able to undercut the price cap. There measure will in the words of Martin Lewis have dire consequences for consumers. 

I was listening to a chat on the radio today about this.

Obviously the ofgem directors think we are all a bunch of clearings in the woods, an must be getting a back hander from the energy companies, realising with this price they can increase there profits substantially. I haven't heard martin Lewis talk, but when I heard what they were planning to do it proper royalled me up the wrongun.

Ofgem director:  "Allowing the price cap to be changed every 3 months instead of 6 will be good for the consumer as when the prices go down, the consumer will see the reduction in their bills much quicker"!

AN WHAT ABOUT WHEN THEY GO UP, YOU word removed, NO MENTION OF THAT!!!!!!!!

This is what ofgem state their role is:

Ofgem is the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets. Our role is to protect consumers by working to deliver a greener, fairer energy system.

This is what they said yesterday:

"We do not consider that we should prioritise the lowest possible prices for consumers at the present time over the need to enable efficient suppliers to finance their businesses"

The worst cost of living crisis in generations with millions of people facing the prospect of starving or freezing and this is who we have claiming to protect consumers. We are f******

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You can see their logic, in that what we've experience din the last few months should be avoided in future, we all foot the bill for these failing businesses.

Not really the time to worry about rewriting the regulations of boat engineering to ensure future boats don't sink when you're on the Titanic and water is pissing through the sides though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is it really broken though? The profits of BP and Shell suggest there’s no reason the public should freeze to death.

The problem is the dozens of companies that have fallen apart in the last few months. Shell and BP are doing ok, but Bulb failing is costing the taxpayer billions

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The problem is the dozens of companies that have fallen apart in the last few months. Shell and BP are doing ok, but Bulb failing is costing the taxpayer billions

Is the problem that BP and Shell are charging too much to suppliers? 

It’s obliterated the supply base and generated massive profits for them.

Ofgem are focussed on the end consumer  price but if they controlled the cost the likes of BP and Shell were allowed to charge people like Bulb, Peoples, Octopus etc then the result would be better overall.

23% of household energy bills go towards environmental levy's, some commerical exception companies pay 5%, raise those to 10% and reduce the househole levy's, bingo - you've just saved people hundreds in a year.

It'll never happen though, because no one in power gives enough of a shit to protect the poor people.

Thank Jebus for my new job.. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Why has it cost them Billions , non of their customers got away without paying their bills when it went belly up, did they? 

59 minutes ago, tinker said:

Why has it cost them Billions , non of their customers got away without paying their bills when it went belly up, did they? 

Because they had so many customers, they couldn't be passed on to other energy companies. So the Government took over bulb. But bulb was (and still is) losing huge sums of money - taxpayer money, now.

Â