European chase 2021/22

Nigel

We probably wont get as many points as we did last season (55, we are currently on 36 with 11 games to play) but I think we might actually finish higher.  Football is weird.  

• Like 3

No point of losing hope. But again it’s good to be realistic. Taking it game by game is the only way to look at it properly. 
We only should look at West Ham away, then hopefully if we win that, it’s another story. 

We still play Spurs and Wolves as well, as much as they are hard games, but it could potentially be 6 pointers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

No point of losing hope. But again it’s good to be realistic.  

I don't mean to sound perverse, but ... I don't agree. I'm soooooooooooo used to feasting on banquets of disappointment with Villa, I can take any rot-pies this club can throw at me.

So tonight, I'm going to luxuriate on a big vat of hot unreason, like a piggy at the trough. Mmmm. Mmmm. Europe, europe, europe. 😜 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

No point of losing hope. But again it’s good to be realistic. Taking it game by game is the only way to look at it properly. 
We only should look at West Ham away, then hopefully if we win that, it’s another story. 

We still play Spurs and Wolves as well, as much as they are hard games, but it could potentially be 6 pointers.

Our next five games are all against teams above us in the table.  The sixth game is Leicester away and they could be above us by that point too.   Big month coming up, if we can get through it with a respectable amount of points then I think the feelgood factor will carry us to the end of the season  but we really will know whether it's Europe or mid table also rans by the middle of April. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Brings a tear to the eye honestly when you think

Watford x 2

Brentford x 1

Newcastle x 1 wins

And wed be challenging for top 4 

I heard if we won ALL of our games this season we'd win the LEAGUE?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AV82 said:

I heard if we won ALL of our games this season we'd win the LEAGUE?!

Fair, but those are 3 of the worst teams in the league right there all in poor form apart from Newcastle second game.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Fair, but those are 3 of the worst teams in the league right there all in poor form apart from Newcastle second game.

I'm being a clearing in the woods. I just looked at the table myself and it's hard not to kick yourself looking at the Newcastle/Watford results.

• Like 2

Can't see us finishing higher than 9th sadly - we have too much room to make up and Wolves aren't exactly in poor form. Can definitely finish top 10 at least though, which we haven't done for 12 years.

34 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

We probably wont get as many points as we did last season (55, we are currently on 36 with 11 games to play) but I think we might actually finish higher.  Football is weird.  

Wow, I never actually realised/remembered we got that many points.

I do remember the likes of @DCJonah pointing out that, under normal circumstances, our points total last season would have gotten us a higher place.

Unlucky on Deano in a sense I guess.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wow, I never actually realised/remembered we got that many points.

I do remember the likes of @DCJonah pointing out that, under normal circumstances, our points total last season would have gotten us a higher place.

Unlucky on Deano in a sense I guess.

Yeah 55 pts usually gets you top 8 at least. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

3 nil up after 22 minutes so far

Losing at home to Watford was easily our worst result of the season, they are hopeless without Sarr in their team.

Still wouldn't give up on hunting them down. Will have to win at Molineux but could potentially get the gap down to 1 point if we win the spare game and similar fixture lists between now and the end given we both play Norwich at home and also have to both play Liverpool and Man. City in the run in.

Does have the feel of the 3-2 game going to cost us though, we'll see.

BTW we go and win at West Ham on Sunday and we'll be six behind them with the Burnley game in play and I've always had a hunch we could potentially hunt them down but think we'd need them to stay in europa for at least another round.

Interested to see how much they rotate for that game. We'll likely have a stronger bench then them.

Edited by VillaChris

Good to see some positivity with this thread.  Sadly, I think we may have left it a bit late this season but next?  Might herald a return to big European nights at Villa Park. 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

It was just due to the abnormal number of away wins for majority of teams in league with no crowds. That said we have six away wins now so can't be far off last seasons total with still a few winnable ones left.

55 points is still realistic, 4 points off Burnley, wins v Norwich and Palace and then we need three wins from the other games. With the form we're in I think we'll give Arsenal and Spurs far better games than we did at start of the season so can see us winning one of those.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Â