European chase 2021/22

Nigel

18 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Love our fan base. Couple of losses and the relegation avoidance thread is on fire, couple of wins and the European chase thread lights up. 

Fwiw, I think we’ll finish 9-12, most probably 10 or 11.

I've been in this thread since day 1

On 05/03/2022 at 11:52, VillaChris said:

Need to rename this the let's hunt down Wolves in 8th thread.

Just lost three straight and if we win our game in hand we're feasibly 4 points off them with the away game still to play.

Annoying they've managed to reschedule Watford at home for Thursday evening despite having played a game more than us. Hopefully Watford can hold them to 0-0 and we win at Leeds and it's massively on.

If we're talking about Wolves, might as well bring West Ham into the equation. Falling like a stone and we have 2 games in hand on them + the away game against them. Could feasibly be 1 point off them if results go our way. Would love to be in the Conference League next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Don't often read that, but I think you're right. Any route back to European football we should take.

We can get valuable minutes for the likes of Carney, JPB, Archer, Davis etc, playing against decent opposition.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Don't often read that, but I think you're right. Any route back to European football we should take.

The teams in the conference league are very unglamorous for the most part, fourth in the moldovan league, third from the latvian league and so on. But the good thing is Villa should have a decent chance of winning the thing if we ended up there, at least quality wise.

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Love our fan base. Couple of losses and the relegation avoidance thread is on fire, couple of wins and the European chase thread lights up. 

Fwiw, I think we’ll finish 9-12, most probably 10 or 11.

It could be that it's totally different sets of people, rather than the same people going back on previous declarations. 

The eternal optimists already think we've embarked on a 2018/19-style Ragga Tip, whilst the miserabilists still think we'll contrive to get relegated. 

Broad church, and all that. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rodders said:

8th is the upper most achievable target, but top 10 will be fine

Agreed. That has to be the target. 

The only slim chance we have for 7th would need us to beat Leeds and then West Ham. That would leave us 6 points behind them with a game in hand (Home to Burnley). Then there would be big games for us at home to Arsenal when West Ham are away at Spurs. 

I think it's very unlikely we can win away to Leeds and win away to West Ham. If we do then we can discuss our chances. 8th or 9th though seems a realistic target and a success if we get it.

We are 7th in the ppg table since Gerrard took over. So if we stay in the top 7 ppg that'll be a success from manager and team. 

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we're talking about Wolves, might as well bring West Ham into the equation. Falling like a stone and we have 2 games in hand on them + the away game against them. Could feasibly be 1 point off them if results go our way. Would love to be in the Conference League next season.

West Ham are 12 points ahead of us and they've achieved more points in their last 5 games than we have. We aren't catching them.

I think we'll probably finish 10-12th place this season.

Edit: Just remembered Newcastle is fast catching up as well. It'll probably a battle for 10-13th with them, Palace and Leicester.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Remains the same as the start of the season, 9th to 12th is our final position imo.  I haven’t changed that throughout.

We aren’t going down and we aren’t good enough for Europe, it’s been the same at the start of the season, game 10, game 20, now, game 30 and end of season.

A few wins here, a few defeats there will give a snapshot of optimism or pessimism for some but we are a midtable squad and the marathon of the league will bear that out, not a two game streak or a six game streak.

• Like 1

It's funny how we are in a position where a loss or two brings the relegation thread up, and a win or two brings the European chase hopes up.

Neither will likely happen.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The teams in the conference league are very unglamorous for the most part, fourth in the moldovan league, third from the latvian league and so on. 

Plus Spurs 😛

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

It's funny how we are in a position where a loss or two brings the relegation thread up, and a win or two brings the European chase hopes up.

Neither will likely happen.

It's not that strange. This is just a thread to track our progress, the title just hasn't been changed.  I guess it would be called the 'Chase for 9th' if opened now. 

As for a relegation thread, you'll notice that's always bumped by the same few pessimistic people who always think we're getting relegated after every loss. 

Most people thought 8-12th at the start of the season and still think that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HolteExile said:

It could be that it's totally different sets of people, rather than the same people going back on previous declarations.

Refreshing. It's essentially like the catch-all everyone thinks/thought X on a particular matter, when essentially the person speaking means I spoke to one other person and they agreed with me. It's kind of interesting why people do this. 

The motivation as to why people also make remarks to which you responded, indicating, of course, their superiority on such matters, and how they couldn't ever get involved in such emotion.

11 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The teams in the conference league are very unglamorous for the most part, fourth in the moldovan league, third from the latvian league and so on. But the good thing is Villa should have a decent chance of winning the thing if we ended up there, at least quality wise.

Well no team in England have ever managed to win it...or real barca or Munich!

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Can we still catch Man City? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

West Ham are 12 points ahead of us and they've achieved more points in their last 5 games than we have. We aren't catching them.

I think we'll probably finish 10-12th place this season.

Edit: Just remembered Newcastle is fast catching up as well. It'll probably a battle for 10-13th with them, Palace and Leicester.

We can make up 9 of those 12 points technically. I agree it's unlikely but if we do our part, we have to pick up 4 more points than them through the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 17:14, VillaChris said:

Today was Wolves's sixth home defeat of the season so not like they've turned Molineux into a fortress this season.

We just need to get a few more wins at home next season, very rarely do we ever get close to 10 home wins. Signing Coutinho full time will massively improve that hope.

3 nil up after 22 minutes so far

Â