European chase 2021/22

Nigel

Is anyone else looking at Man Utd and thinking that they could completely implode as the season concludes? A club in crisis. 

2 wins in the last 8 games. I would say they are catchable. 11 points ahead but we have a game in hand. If we keep winning and they keep not winning... We're in their rear view mirror at least

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

If you were to ask my old man he'd tell you they were the best days to be a Villa fan 😂

As another old man, regarding villa between 62/3 - 75/6, I would say that the early 70s were a breath of fresh air, after the late 60s (which mostly stunk the ground out). My vote would be for 74/5 - 83/4. 

Back on topic, I think we would need around 22 points from our remaining 11 games to qualify for Europe. That is the sort of points ratio that would have you in the running for the top 4, so....

image.jpeg.a4a6839ec7c7e9a8525911a76f47a8e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

As another old man, regarding villa between 62/3 - 75/6, I would say that the early 70s were a breath of fresh air, after the late 60s (which mostly stunk the ground out). My vote would be for 74/5 - 83/4. 

It's a nice thought that you may have been stood next to my dad at some point when he was a much younger man, and here we are on a message board due to our shared love of the club.

Will ask his precise opinion next time I see him, sure his view is similar to yours 👍

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

It's a nice thought that you may have been stood next to my dad at some point when he was a much younger man, and here we are on a message board due to our shared love of the club.

Will ask his precise opinion next time I see him, sure his view is similar to yours 👍

I look forward to hearing your Dad's opinion. There are still quite a few of us around that began going down in the 60s and pre 60s. I still go to the game and am in touch with some of the same lads that I used to stand behind the goal at the Holte End with. I'm sure your Dad will have stood alongside us at some point over the years, either at Villa Park or at an away ground at home or abroad. As you say, it's a nice thought. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YLN said:

Is anyone else looking at Man Utd and thinking that they could completely implode as the season concludes? A club in crisis. 

2 wins in the last 8 games. I would say they are catchable. 11 points ahead but we have a game in hand. If we keep winning and they keep not winning... We're in their rear view mirror at least

With them, and Chelsea probably projected to nosedive ( " relative to status and expectation " ) - at least temporarily ( Chelsea for obvious reasons ), is there a chance for a couple of clubs to sneak in up there somehow?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

IF we could beat West Ham we’d be 6 points behind them with a game in hand against Burnley.

IF we could also beat Wolves…

Then we’d have an extremely unlikely chance of finishing 7th. 

Still think we’ll finish 9-10th though as inconsistency is our downfall. 

IF is the best -- and the longest -- two-letter word ... 

2 hours ago, YLN said:

Yes. But I think more likely is a continued slow rot until the summer. (My ManU friend won't even talk to me about football any more ... but that's United for you.)   

Looking at our run in, I think 9th is what is realistically possible.

Too much ground to run in, and too difficult a fixture list.

Wolves are in good form and have an easier run in.

Tottenham aren't going to implode either I don't think, they've picked up some form as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tottenham aren't going to implode either I don't think, they've picked up some form as well.

I’d be pleased with 9th. Means we’ve done reasonably well in the run in. We’re obviously not going to win every game but I’d see it as a success if we can avoid any more runs of dreadful performances. Team spirit seems so good, need to keep that going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yep, I suspect 9th is probably our ceiling for this season which after the disrupted start/ change of manager/ poor runs of form would actually be very good. Europe next season hopefully!

• Like 2

My prediction:

Chelsea receives a European ban next season to further punish their ownership for involvement with Putin.  This pushes all the European qualifications down 1 slot.  5th for UCL, 6th-7th for Europa, and EIGHTH for the new Conference League.  

The race for top8 is on Villa!! 👀🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YLN said:

They still have home games v likes of Norwich and Brentford left so even a mediocre finish will get them around 60 points.

Perhaps if Spurs lose to them and we beat them next month they may become catchable but realistically only two we have hopes to hunt down are Wolves and West Ham and really we need four points from those two aways to have a chance. We're capable though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

6 points off Spurs if we win tomorrow. They've got Brighton away in the week but if they don't win that then I think they could come into our range as still got to play likes of Liverpool and Arsenal before season is out.

But so have we plus we have to play Man City and a number of other teams above us…we aren’t catching Spurs.

I wasn't worried about relegation when we lost to Newcastle and Watford because we're a midtable team than will win some and lose some and more than capable of losing a few games in a row, also as we've seen since also capable winning a couple in a row. But by the same logic now that we've won a few I'm not expecting us to go an amazing run and catch the likes of West Ham and Spurs, maybe have an outside chance of catching Wolves but even that's unlikely, because we will win and lose games and so will those teams, so at best we will probably just close the gap on them, unless either we hit amazing form, or they go on a really bad run.

If we can finish top half that would be progress, our highest finish in more than ten years, and something to build on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

If we win all 4 then we will be in incredible form

This statement, I agree with you. But we might remember that the universe is fundamentally [at least] chaotic. And Aston Villa, I believe, is part of our universe.

The deserving bit is fundamentally wrong.

Â