European chase 2021/22

Nigel

We are not getting europe simply because of the games left. We are probably not getting anything from either liverpool or city. Arsenal will be tough. We never beat spurs at home, and west ham today will be tough.

I think anywhere between 10th upwards is a great platform for next season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We are not getting europe simply because of the games left. We are probably not getting anything from either liverpool or city. Arsenal will be tough. We never beat spurs at home, and west ham today will be tough.

I think anywhere between 10th upwards is a great platform for next season

This is probably right, unfortunately. We’d need a couple of very good results for us to be even in with a chance. For us to finish 7th, I imagine we’d need to beat Wolves at their place and also beat 2 of Spurs/Arsenal/West Ham. 

4 points from our next two will give us a platform but we’d still need to go an incredible run to finish 7th.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 14:02, YLN said:

Is anyone else looking at Man Utd and thinking that they could completely implode as the season concludes? A club in crisis. 

2 wins in the last 8 games. I would say they are catchable. 11 points ahead but we have a game in hand. If we keep winning and they keep not winning... We're in their rear view mirror at least

As shit as they are they have a very pragmatic, albeit temporary, coach and a lot of talent. Sancho, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Varane, etc. will prevent them from completely shitting the bed. A new manager and clear out in the summer will see them back to their best I feel.

With Wolves winning pretty much confirms we won't be finishing even 8th which is frustrating considering the form is still 3 wins out of last 4. That sort of season really.

On balance 9th is still decent effort and that should still be very achieveable considering Brighton and Southampton are basically on the beach now.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

With Wolves winning pretty much confirms we won't be finishing even 8th which is frustrating considering the form is still 3 wins out of last 4. That sort of season really.

On balance 9th is still decent effort and that should still be very achieveable considering Brighton and Southampton are basically on the beach now.

But Leicester are still there.

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But Leicester are still there.

They've still got all of Arsenal, Man. United, Spurs and Chelsea away so not too concerned yet. Plus their only chance to play in europa next season is to win whatever euro competition they're in so think they'll focus on that in the run in.

Vardy also injured again.

We should be finishing top 10 now so that's the target for rest of the season.

Who's to say we can't win every game between now and the end of the season, Liverpool and Man City the toughest, but we might have a chance against Liverpool at home, we did okay against them away, and Man City might have already won the title on the last day and not as focused as usual. We're ten points behind Wolves but have to play them and have a game in hand, they also have Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea still left to play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

That’s how it feels wolves 

It was good for us otherwise we won’t have changed DS....etc

But hopefully it’s Dingles time, we owe them one. Let’s do our job tomorrow and if we win, then finishing above them might be on the cards again. 

I have a feeling that Arsenal will be our prey this season. Southampton were the first one. But Arsenal coming from a big game against Liverpool will hopefully be a nice thing to us. Let’s see tomorrow, and hope that it doesn’t come back and bite by losing badly. The good thing is there is no much stress before the game (I think during the game it will be different especially after Dingles result). What’s the point of football if there was no hope? Be realistic but hope for the best, as long as you’ll not lose anything.

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It was good for us otherwise we won’t have changed DS....etc

But hopefully it’s Dingles time, we owe them one. Let’s do our job tomorrow and if we win, then finishing above them might be on the cards again. 

I have a feeling that Arsenal will be our prey this season. Southampton were the first one. But Arsenal coming from a big game against Liverpool will hopefully be a nice thing to us. Let’s see tomorrow, and hope that it doesn’t come back and bite by losing badly. The good thing is there is no much stress before the game (I think during the game it will be different especially after Dingles result). What’s the point of football if there was no hope? Be realistic but hope for the best, as long as you’ll not lose anything.

That wolves defeat put us in a tailspin of 5 straight defeats, leading us to sack our manager. It wasn't in any way a good thing. 

I'm hoping that result has a similar effect on wolves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

That wolves defeat put us in a tailspin of 5 straight defeats, leading us to sack our manager. It wasn't in any way a good thing. 

I'm hoping that result has a similar effect on wolves.

We wouldn’t have changed our manager, which make our future unclear for even longer time. We weren’t going anywhere with DS with Grealish. It was clearly shown in 3 seasons, 1 in the Championship, 1 and a half in the PL. 

10 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We wouldn’t have changed our manager, which make our future unclear for even longer time. We weren’t going anywhere with DS with Grealish. It was clearly shown in 3 seasons, 1 in the Championship, 1 and a half in the PL. 

Regardless of your opinions on DS or SG as manager, 5 straight defeats and losing to wolves in that manner is never, ever good

• Like 1

Wolves did capitulate in similar fashion against Watford in the cup semi final a few years ago.

Just worth mentioning because it’s not the first time in recent history that they’ve thrown a lead away like we did against them. And it’s also worth mentioning that Watford game because it’s amusing.

As for what would have happened regarding Dean Smith had Villa beaten Wolves…obviously whether the positive of that (theoretical) result would have carried over to the following games, I don’t know. But if Villa had still lost to Arsenal, West Ham and Southampton, having already lost the Spurs game, I think a run of one win and 4 defeats, coupled with the poor form of the calendar year would have resulted in the same outcome.

So this post isn’t completely off topic, I can’t see us catching Wolves’ position, it’s just a bit too much I fear, although it’s a good target to aim for. A 9th place finish was nearly about as realistically optimistic I felt at the start of year, so if that was where we finished having had the trials and tribulations we have, that would be very good.

Â