European chase 2021/22

Nigel

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

One thing we have going for us is that we don't concede goals. As an art form, that is becoming popular again and I am truly here for it.

Going forward, we have another gear available to us. Whether we can find it is another question. 

To be fair our most creative players aren’t around yet. Traore, Bailey, Chuck and Ings. Those are either aren’t available or didn’t find their way to the team. Add to that, that we’re hopeful to see more from Buendia. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes I think 8th is the best “realistic” finish for us this season. It would represent a very good season overall and a terrific first 70% of a season for Gerrard.

One thing I’m interested to see play out. Since the new owners and Purslow have come in there’s been this aim to improve year on year. That was underlined by Purslow at the unveiling of Gerrard. Obviously that ambition is something we can all get behind. 

What I’m curious about is if we did finish 8th this season, what would the expectation of the board be for next season? Because obviously the wiggle room of what can be classed as an “improvement” narrows the higher we go up. Would they expect top 6/7? Or would there be an allowance of time for Gerrard and the team to (re)establish ourselves firmly in and around 8th in the short term? I feel like it’s the latter. 

A lot of that could go in the NWSE thread to be fair, but I got carried away with the hypothetical thought.

I agree with this - unless one of Arsenal, Spurs or West Ham start sliding down (and we maintain current form) then 8th is our ceiling this season.  I think Spurs have about 14 games in hand, West Ham look solid, and Arsenal - well yeah they could **** up anything.

Moving into that 7th / 6th / 5th spot the following season would be another leap forward - it'll likely take us more than one attempt. 

Even in the best of scenarios cracking the top four from there could again take a few seasons. 

Slow and steady progress should be hailed for the achievement that it is given that we were drawing with Stoke City in the Championship this time three years ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

I agree with this - unless one of Arsenal, Spurs or West Ham start sliding down (and we maintain current form) then 8th is our ceiling this season.  I think Spurs have about 14 games in hand, West Ham look solid, and Arsenal - well yeah they could **** up anything.

Moving into that 7th / 6th / 5th spot the following season would be another leap forward - it'll likely take us more than one attempt. 

Even in the best of scenarios cracking the top four from there could again take a few seasons. 

Slow and steady progress should be hailed for the achievement that it is given that we were drawing with Stoke City in the Championship this time three years ago. 

I think nothing is for certain. The aim should be Europe but a steady progress is the most important thing. We can have a few stepbacks such as what happened with Grealish. 

It's possible for us to be challenging seventh if we continue our form; Gerrard has us playing well and hard to beat. Mings has alluded how a winning mentality is our focus.

If one of Wet Spam, Arse, Spuds falter here's hoping we can capitalise....

Tbh we look good enough for Europe in how we are playing and strength and depth with the incredibly talented youngsters and the likes of Ings. Maybe we will get into the European Bullshit League made so Tottenham could play 

Being and staying in the top ten should be the minimum aim but now I think we should push the top seven teams all the way. It’s going to be an exciting second half to the season for sure.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes I think 8th is the best “realistic” finish for us this season. It would represent a very good season overall and a terrific first 70% of a season for Gerrard.

One thing I’m interested to see play out. Since the new owners and Purslow have come in there’s been this aim to improve year on year. That was underlined by Purslow at the unveiling of Gerrard. Obviously that ambition is something we can all get behind. 

What I’m curious about is if we did finish 8th this season, what would the expectation of the board be for next season? Because obviously the wiggle room of what can be classed as an “improvement” narrows the higher we go up. Would they expect top 6/7? Or would there be an allowance of time for Gerrard and the team to (re)establish ourselves firmly in and around 8th in the short term? I feel like it’s the latter. 

A lot of that could go in the NWSE thread to be fair, but I got carried away with the hypothetical thought.

It's a fair question. 

Top 3 is a stretch for sure but I could see us being in a mini league butting heads and swapping positions with the 4th to 8th crowd, cementing our place there over the next 2/3 seasons has to be the next target.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Tbh we look good enough for Europe in how we are playing and strength and depth with the incredibly talented youngsters and the likes of Ings. Maybe we will get into the European Bullshit League made so Tottenham could play 

Our bench tonight had four senior players (Axel, Hause, Ings, Trez) and five youth players, and it wasn't by choice. I don't think we have the depth for a European campaign while also trying to get higher than 8th.

48 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Our bench tonight had four senior players (Axel, Hause, Ings, Trez) and five youth players, and it wasn't by choice. I don't think we have the depth for a European campaign while also trying to get higher than 8th.

Unless you bring high priced U23 players, there is only so much depth you can have both in the PL and European competitions both in terms of regulations and squad harmony. 

We need to survive the Christmas fixtures  without too many injuries/suspensions/covid. If we are still in the top half after January then I think we could have an outside chance, but I think we will end up just short this season. We need then a good summer window and not to sell our best players and we could be a real handful next season.

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We need to survive the Christmas fixtures  without too many injuries/suspensions/covid. If we are still in the top half after January then I think we could have an outside chance, but I think we will end up just short this season. We need then a good summer window and not to sell our best players and we could be a real handful next season.

christmas will be massive this year, more so than usual with covid starting to affect things again. if we can take 7 points from these next 4 games that will be a really decent return i think

If in tonight's games Brighton V Wolves game finishes as a draw, and Palace fail to beat Southampton, and and then if tomorrow Leicester get beat by Spurs by three goals or more, then we will move up to eighth in the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, useless said:

If in tonight's games Brighton V Wolves game finishes as a draw, and Palace fail to beat Southampton, and and then if tomorrow Leicester get beat by Spurs by three goals or more, then we will move up to eighth in the table.

All realistically possible. 

Leicester apparently have a number of defenders out, the least unlikely is probably Southampton avoiding defeat to Palace, especially away from home. Have a feeling that Brighton might beat Wolves, if only for the fact that Brighton haven't won any of their last twelve games going back to September, ten of those in the league, so are surely due a win.

43 minutes ago, useless said:

Nice Trixe 

1 hour ago, useless said:

That will be tough given that Spurs have about 6 available players currently.  According to Conte, Spurs have 287843 players and staff with COVID.  🤔

Â