European chase 2021/22

Nigel

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Or Man Utd 😁

I think West Ham losing is the key. Arsenal or Wolves need to start dropping points. Preferably Man Utd too. If we can start catching up then there is a chance. Leicester might catchup too, Brighton don’t lose easily. But if we improve we’ll need leapfrogging some of those teams. Spurs I’m not sure but they also have some games on hand.

If we hadn’t bottle it against Brentford we’d be on 29. But there is still chance. 

Let’s take it week by week. Us and teams around. If we start thinking we need to win 10 games to get to 56 points we’ll find it very tough. But if we go into a winning run it would give us a space of breathing. 

We’ve also had two of the top 6 out of the way. Spurs and Arsenal could be 6 pointers. Same with West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. Play every game as a cup final, do what we’ve done in the Championship. 

Need to win the two spare games but if we do we could be 5 points or less off West Ham.

I think they might concentrate on europa if they remain on that in final weeks.

Be interested in how many points we're behind them in terms of games/points since Gerrard came in.

Annoying Wolves keep winning.

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It is a good run of fixtures next up.

However Wolves and Arsenal really need to start dropping points I feel if we are to get top eight, Wolves especially are looking good (unfortunately).

Wolves will drop points soon enough. Arsenal, spurs, Leicester and West Ham next 4 for them.

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Very very slim chance this season - lost too many already. All about momentum now and a strong transfer window. Next season is the big one. 

If we want to make a case before the summer that a European finish is possible next season we probably need to show we are capable of it over the remainder of this season. 1.7ppg over a full season would get you to around 64-65 points and most likely at least 6th place.

So we need to be at least showing that level between now and the end of the season. If we do that we’d finish on 55 points.

You could though argue that because our remaining fixtures look easier than the average, with 10 of the remaining 17 against teams currently below us in the table, we should be perhaps be looking for even more than this. And 5 points more, taking us to 60, might be enough for 7th. Definitely feels like we should be getting at least close to the European places this season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think West Ham losing is the key. Arsenal or Wolves need to start dropping points. Preferably Man Utd too. If we can start catching up then there is a chance. Leicester might catchup too, Brighton don’t lose easily. But if we improve we’ll need leapfrogging some of those teams. Spurs I’m not sure but they also have some games on hand.

IMO Spurs, Arsenal and Utd aren’t a concern for us. Think they’ll ultimately be too strong and make up the rest of the top 6.

West Ham I expect will continue to drop. They started well in part because they kept an exceptionally consistent first xi in the opening 11 or so games, but injuries since, some of which won’t be resolved until late or even after the season, have seen their form drop.

Think they’ll end up competing for 7th and think Wolves and possibly Leicester could be their with them. These are the three teams that we really need to start dropping points.

• Like 1

Bloody hate to say it but wolves pretty quietly have had a very good season so far. 

West Ham I said before I've never been super impressed by. Just look like a couple of great players surrounded by average players who are in the form of their lives. Could easily see a couple of confidence draining crap results send them on 5 match losing streak or something 

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

IMO Spurs, Arsenal and Utd aren’t a concern for us. Think they’ll ultimately be too strong and make up the rest of the top 6.

West Ham I expect will continue to drop. They started well in part because they kept an exceptionally consistent first xi in the opening 11 or so games, but injuries since, some of which won’t be resolved until late or even after the season, have seen their form drop.

Think they’ll end up competing for 7th and think Wolves and possibly Leicester could be their with them. These are the three teams that we really need to start dropping points.

I used to say it in our relegation battle, and now in this. Sometimes you don’t need teams to lose to catch them, but to keep hope. We’re looking at 7th. But if for example it was West Ham, and they went into a losing run. We’ll lose hope before they do that. While having those three on reach would keep the whole thing open. Imagine winning couple of games and fourth was around 42 while we’re on 33 for example. I don’t say we’ll get it but having all in reach will keep your head up. Then it’s all open again. So all of them are welcomed to lose points. But as it seems, Wolves are very hard to beat. Arsenal seems very good. Utd are getting results but mot convincing, Spurs I think they’re good enough. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Bloody hate to say it but wolves pretty quietly have had a very good season so far. 

West Ham I said before I've never been super impressed by. Just look like a couple of great players surrounded by average players who are in the form of their lives. Could easily see a couple of confidence draining crap results send them on 5 match losing streak or something 

All thanks to us. They were shite before we **** it up against them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I used to say it in our relegation battle, and now in this. Sometimes you don’t need teams to lose to catch them, but to keep hope. We’re looking at 7th. But if for example it was West Ham, and they went into a losing run. We’ll lose hope before they do that. While having those three on reach would keep the whole thing open. Imagine winning couple of games and fourth was around 42 while we’re on 33 for example. I don’t say we’ll get it but having all in reach will keep your head up. Then it’s all open again. So all of them are welcomed to lose points. But as it seems, Wolves are very hard to beat. Arsenal seems very good. Utd are getting results but mot convincing, Spurs I think they’re good enough. 

That 5 game losing streak killed any hope of top 6 really. Spin the Wolves result around and we'd be 2 points off them even accounting for the other four losses.

Can't expect to lose five straight and seriously challenge for top 6 in future seasons although we probably lost four in a row in one of the O'Neill seasons.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

West Ham is just a fairly decent side.

They don't really hammer teams. Excuse the punt.

They were never gonna make the top 4 really.

Â