European chase 2021/22

Nigel

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

You would need about 10 pairs of claret and blue specs to think we are fighting for 7th place, literally impossible. We won’t even beat last seasons finish.

I mean we are 1 point behind and with 1 game in hand to be beating last seasons position!

As for LITERALLY impossible to finish 7th, I think it’s literally possible to finish 2nd! 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

You would need about 10 pairs of claret and blue specs to think we are fighting for 7th place, literally impossible. We won’t even beat last seasons finish.

I think that's a bit pessimistic.

I think what has derailed us a bit was losing the chance to play Burnley and Leeds over xmas. I think we'd have ended our Burnley hoodoo at VP and over xmas was very good time to play Leeds (less so in now) so would've been confident of another 4 points so us on 27 would put us in top half.

I think it would be pretty disappointing if we don't finish top 10 adding Coutinho to the mix and Buendia improving every game. Hopefully add a good DM to mix in next two weeks and I really think we'll go on a similar run to when Gerrard first arrive.

50 + points and say 9th is still very achievable for this season.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

50 + points and say 9th is still very achievable for this season.

Yep, to finish 9th we basically need to gain 1 extra point over Southampton and Crystal Palace, 2 points more than Leicester and 5 more points than Brighton.

You’d think we can claw that back over half a season.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

This is the table based on games since Gerrard's arrival.

Wolves, Arsenal, and Man Utd have taken just two more points than we, West Ham just one more point, despite playing two more games.

Oh wow thats great!

With our run of fixtures we've got a great chance to build momentum and confidence for when we end up playing some of the 'big guns' again. 

We've got the players to go on a winning streak and now compete with the bigger names. The more time the staff get with the players the more we will build on the already good football we are starting to play. 

7th may be a stretch but it's not that much of a stretch. Depends what Spurs do with their games in hand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I mean we are 1 point behind and with 1 game in hand to be beating last seasons position!

As for LITERALLY impossible to finish 7th, I think it’s literally possible to finish 2nd! 🤣

Really?  That’s after what was a very good first half to the season too. 

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

We’ve lost more games than 17 of the 19 other teams in the league, we really aren’t fighting for 7th spot.

Whilst I agree with this I don’t think lots of draws are that great either to be honest so you have to be careful with that stat. Win 5 and lose 5 or draw 10? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why the amount of games we've lost keeps getting referenced, especially in relation to Newcastle, of course we've lost a lot of games that's why Smith lost his job, it's not really a surprise. But seven of those defeats were before Gerrard came in, only Klopp, Tuchel, and Guardio have lost more games as Premier League managers this season, and of our four defeats with SteeGee in charge three of them have come against Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really?  That’s after what was a very good first half to the season too. 

I think what @ender4 is saying is if Villa win their game in hand (Southampton and Brighton having played 21 matches) we’ll be ahead of last season’s final position of 11th as we’ll also have jumped ahead of Leicester in 10th. However Leicester have played two fewer matches than ourselves.

We are somewhat off the pace compared to the same point last season (32 points after 20 games). But I am hopeful that the remaining 18 games will be noticeably better than last season’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will need to win the next game to have any hope of seventh as it will instill the confidence to go on a run.

It's certainly possible but eighth would be a very good finish for us considering where we were and how where we are.

The signings of two top players hopefully allows us to finish the season strongly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think what @ender4 is saying is if Villa win their game in hand (Southampton and Brighton having played 21 matches) we’ll be ahead of last season’s final position of 11th as we’ll also have jumped ahead of Leicester in 10th. However Leicester have played two fewer matches than ourselves.

We are somewhat off the pace compared to the same point last season (32 points after 20 games). But I am hopeful that the remaining 18 games will be noticeably better than last season’s.

Of course. That makes more sense.

Â