European chase 2021/22

Nigel

It’s interesting looking at the table. Despite only winning 2 of the last 7 we’re as high as 11th and of the 6 teams we’re yet to play so far only 2 of them are top half (city and Liverpool) with the rest lower half (Leicester, Leeds, Burnley, Norwich). I.e our fixtures have been comparatively difficult so far. So assuming the table doesn’t lie, you might expect us to be more like 8th or 9th come halfway through the season. 

a related note- this also puts the 5 losses in a row in a bit of perspective. 4 of those 5 teams are now in the top 7. So it’s maybe not as bad in hindsight as it felt at the time.

none of this is particularly scientific but made me slightly more optimistic 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If Benteke puts that sitter away yesterday it could have been a different story for Palace. 

Ifs and Buts. They have won 3 from 14 yes 2 was vs Spurs and City but its not that impressive of a season so far

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not sure if you realize but we just lost 5 in a row.

Been a big improvement since Gerrard arrived.

But I guess you will discredit every win under him because you don't like him.

I’m slightly surprised to see you’re in this thread after you stated that should Gerrard have us finishing 14th this season, you’d consider that “outstanding”. 

Presumably European qualification would be one of, if not the single greatest achievement in the history of the game, by that yard stick?

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Seeing Brighton and Palace looking dreadful since we beat them makes me worry that maybe we are jumping the gun

To be fair, they both ( Palace especially ) have looked quite good this season, they had played what 11/12 games before playing us and looked impressive at times?  Didn't Palace beat Man City as well?

I reckon we might have just exposed/dented their confidence, and helped send them on a bad run.

Which is welcome, as that's what usually happens to us, and might argue, Wolves especially, look how quickly we spiraled after that kick in the nuts?

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, they both ( Palace especially ) have looked quite good this season, they had played what 11/12 games before playing us and looked impressive at times?  Didn't Palace beat Man City as well?

I reckon we might have just exposed/dented their confidence, and helped send them on a bad run.

Which is welcome, as that's what usually happens to us, and might argue, Wolves especially, look how quickly we spiraled after that kick in the nuts?

Or Palace just got hyped from one win. Have won 2 less than last season and havent beaten any of the 7 teams from the bottom 12 they have played 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ifs and Buts. They have won 3 from 14 yes 2 was vs Spurs and City but its not that impressive of a season so far

Too many draws but they look a decent side, although think Villa can finish above them. They wont challenge for a european spot. 

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely no chance of Europe through the league this season in my view, our start under Smith was just too damaging and not just those 5 games.

Yeah the Watford and more importantly Wolves results were horrifyingly damaging. 

Â