European chase 2021/22

Nigel

3 hours ago, hong0311 said:

With some rough estimation, we'll have to win 12 games out of the remaining 23 games to stand a chance of getting into Europe. Do you guys think we stand a chance?

Remaining home games we should be winning: Burnley, Leeds, Watford, Southampton, Norwich, Palace

Winnable away games: Norwich, Leeds, Brentford, Everton, Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves, Burnley

Other games: Liverpool (a), Chelsea (h), Man U (h), West Ham (a), Arsenal (h), Spurs (h), Liverpool (h), Leicester (a), Man City (a)

So 6 home games we should really be winning, 8 winnable away games, so 6 of them plus the home games gets us to 12.

Then most of our other tougher games are at home. And wouldn’t be out of the question to get something away at Leicester or West Ham.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

How high do we have to finish to qualify for the new euro competition,the one below the Europa lge ?

6th for the Europa Conference League normally. 

But if the winners of the two cups come from the top 6 then there is usually one more spot available. Last year Spurs qualified by finishing 7th thanks to Man City winning the Man City cup and Leicester winning the FA cup. 

Edited by Steero113

18 hours ago, Steero113 said:

6th for the Europa Conference League normally. 

But if the winners of the two cups come from the top 6 then there is usually one more spot available. Last year Spurs qualified by finishing 7th thanks to Man City winning the Man City cup and Leicester winning the FA cup. 

The Europa Conference place goes to the EFL Cup winners first, then goes to the next available place in the league if the League Cup winners have already qualified for another European competition.

4 of the remaining 8 teams in the EFL Cup currently occupy top 5 places in the Premier League, so reasonable chance it will end up with the qualifying place going to 6th/7th in league.

• Thanks 1

I’m not too concerned about getting into Europe this season but I do hope we aim for it, if only by the definition that we should try to win every game. I’d be happy with finishing around 7th or 8th. That would a tremendous achievement when you consider our early season form, selling Grealish and sacking Smith. 

Apart from the top three, nobody else is really pulling away from the pack (maybe West Ham, but I don’t think it will last). We are only five points off Manure in sixth place, it’s absolutely possible to get there but we need to keep up this form. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, useless said:

I hope we do beat Liverpool, it's one of those games where I wouldn't be surprised by an heavy defeat but also wouldn't be too surprised if we got a result.

I’m optimistic about this game , yes they are very good but our tails are up we look fit and as long as we start first half as aggressively as we’ve been playing 2nd halves we could do well , my thoughts though are the yellow cards and second yellows our defenders may pick up as if we are at it these lot will roll around on the floor no danger , to get to Europe we have to pick up points against some of these top sides that will leave a hole while attacking , cue Ollie Watkins 

We certainly match up far better to Liverpool than Man. City. Even losing twice in 19/20 the matches were pretty tight home and away and we seem to unsettle them in midfield a bit.

Still think we'll get soundly beaten tomorrow but like Man. City I think it's more about the performance. Play well and we can remain confidence going into Norwich (unless that gets called off due to covid).

54 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Our European football hopes were dashed by the gurning David Semen when he drew us to play ManUre away in the FA Cup…

Honestly thought we could have a good challenge for a cup this season…

We will beat them 

• Like 1

Arsenal-West Ham is intriguing game tomorrow (I'll be at the Enter Shikari gig in Brum otherwise would've watched it).

Arsenal lose and they become seriously in range again, just 4 points in it and I assume they have tricky away game at the weekend.

West Ham lose and gap will be 6 points although they do have Norwich at home at the weekend.

Into 9th place, but now it starts to become more difficult to move up places.  

We probably have to beat Burnley just to stay 9th.

Above us…

Leic - 1 game in hand, better GD

Spurs - 3 points ahead & 3 games in hand

Arsenal - 4 points ahead, 1 game in hand

Man Utd - 5 points ahead, 1 game in hand

West Ham - 6 points ahead, 1 game in hand.

Beat Burnley and we'd be on course to average 50 points from 36 games so not bad position at all when I think we had that tally after 36 last season and then won our final two.

Remember we had 1 win in about 3 months aswell so I think we'll have a strong second half of the season given the level we're generally playing at.

I know people love draws for long unbeaten runs but think our decent position despite losing five straight shows the value sometimes of not getting too many draws in a row.

Despite our bad start, we’re 22 points out of 17. Last season we were 26 out of 16.

If we take it to 19 games we were 32.  So we have to win the next 2 to be 4 points to past season total. 
But there when it went all wrong with Dean. We got another 4 before Grealish injury, which was impressive 36 out of 21. Then 14 out of the next 15! Then Grealish came back and we added two wins.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

8th position would be a phenomenal finish really. 

Anything close to last year's points total would be success. 

Yes I think 8th is the best “realistic” finish for us this season. It would represent a very good season overall and a terrific first 70% of a season for Gerrard.

One thing I’m interested to see play out. Since the new owners and Purslow have come in there’s been this aim to improve year on year. That was underlined by Purslow at the unveiling of Gerrard. Obviously that ambition is something we can all get behind. 

What I’m curious about is if we did finish 8th this season, what would the expectation of the board be for next season? Because obviously the wiggle room of what can be classed as an “improvement” narrows the higher we go up. Would they expect top 6/7? Or would there be an allowance of time for Gerrard and the team to (re)establish ourselves firmly in and around 8th in the short term? I feel like it’s the latter. 

A lot of that could go in the NWSE thread to be fair, but I got carried away with the hypothetical thought.

• Like 4

Â