European chase 2021/22

Nigel

Just seen that Brighton haven't won any of their last ten premier league games yet are still in the top half and above us in the table. Their next three games are Spurs, Wolves, and Man Utd, with us playing Liverpool, Norwich, and Burnley, so a chance for us to catch up with them, if it wasn't for them scoring eight minutes into injury time yesterday we'd be above them now.

Wolves got Man City and Chelsea coming up in their next three, so potentially a chance to catch them up too, although I'm mindful of the fact that Norwich and Burnley won't be easy games.

• Like 4

Looking at this seasons results we're actually doing better points wise when comparing them to the corresponding fixtures and results from last season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

I am an naive optimist, but I think 4th place is open for grabs for many teams this season. We are among them, together with United, West Ham, Leicester (I think they will return strong later this season), Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs (my favorite for it), and Brighton.

Goal definitely should be Europe. 

8th to 10th is probably the best we could realistically hope for or expect. Which was what I felt at the start of the season but obviously there’s a new vigour and a renewed sense of optimism.

I can only see 7th if Spurs or Arsenal have a slip up or West Ham realise this little joke of theirs has gone on for far too long now. Even then there’s a handful of teams that will feel 7th could be theirs.

Top half and top midlands club would be a fine season. If that’s achieved, European push next season by which point Gerrard has had time to assess what he wants to accomplish that. 

• Like 3

On 05/12/2021 at 22:05, useless said:

Just seen that Brighton haven't won any of their last ten premier league games yet are still in the top half and above us in the table. Their next three games are Spurs, Wolves, and Man Utd, with us playing Liverpool, Norwich, and Burnley, so a chance for us to catch up with them, if it wasn't for them scoring eight minutes into injury time yesterday we'd be above them now.

Wolves got Man City and Chelsea coming up in their next three, so potentially a chance to catch them up too, although I'm mindful of the fact that Norwich and Burnley won't be easy games.

Brighton are dog shite - they can't score goals - wouldn't surprise me to see them plummet right down the table .

Finishing above Brighton is a given imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm thinking eighth is a possibility, Gerrard mentioned Wolves and Brighton are within sight.

However if Wet Spam and Arse have a blip maybe we can catch them too?

Arsenal are catchable, if we overtake Wolves and Brighton then we're only 2 points off Arsenal anyway. Though they have a nice run of games now. 

Southampton, West Ham, Leeds, Norwich and Wolves. Still some tough ones there but whilst we have some nicer ones we also play Chelsea and Liverpool in the same run. Be interesting to see how Arsenal do there, they've done badly against lower teams for a while now

7th is a realistic target with how the season is rolling out. We're close to it anyway and we really should have more points than we do from the end of Dean's tenure. 7th is challenging but realistic. 

6th is going to take Spurs falling apart. United will improve, West Ham may falter slightly but they'll be pretty consistent and are a bloody good team.

We should be aiming for 7th, if January comes together nicely then an outside shot of breaking the Top 6 would be fantastic

• Like 1

We need to pick up unexpected wins like this Saturday to have any chance of top 7. Then back them up with winning the games we should be like the few coming up after Plop. We arent drawing many, so hopefully we keep picking up maximum hauls where we can and we’ll keep climbing.

That win against Leicester was massive for us. Only 5 points seperate 8th-16th

10 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We need to pick up unexpected wins like this Saturday to have any chance of top 7. 

We would NEED results like this only if we were aiming for top 4!

We can easily get to the top 7 places without having to beat the likes of Liverpool away from home.

• Like 1

Reading alot of the " expectations " above and over the last few pages, I understand why people are often disappointed. lol

8th - 10th IMO is achievable. Whilst SG is doing a good job so far, we still have the same squad, he isn't a miracle worker.

Moving targets based on how we are going phase by phase obviously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Reading alot of the " expectations " above and over the last few pages, I understand why people are often disappointed. lol

8th - 10th IMO is achievable. Whilst SG is doing a good job so far, we still have the same squad, he isn't a miracle worker.

How would you consider 10th as achievable? We're 10th right now having just lost 6 of the last 9 and sacking the manager. Surely 10th is the minimum?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There's a different between a realistic but challenging target and what I would be happy with.

I'd be happy with Top Half. I've been pretty consistent with that since the start of the season. As a fan, I appreciate Top Half would be good progress particularly after the upheaval we've had this year.

If I was in that dressing room. I'd want Top 6. I might not be talking about it but I'd have an eye on Europe and as our players and coaching staff have been sold the dream (or given the task) of getting us to Europe, I reckon they'll have one Eye on it.

7th/8th becomes a challenging, mid ground where I'd like to see us openly believing we can achieve. We're already 10th and no club other than City will be looking at the table in the 1st week of December and saying they'd be happy to end the season now.

If we go on a bad run of form, I'd be disappointed but if we end up 9th/10th at the end of the season, it'll be a decent turn around from where we were a few weeks ago and after the two big changes we had this year.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We can easily get to the top 7 places without having to beat the likes of Liverpool away from home.

Maybe under normal circumstance but Not when you lose 5 on the bounce and lose away to Watford. We need a few unexpected wins to make up for some of these. Gerrard has at least got us back on track and back amongst the chasing pack with the 3 wins in 4.

32 minutes ago, Nigel said:

100% agree. We'd be around 7th/8th now if we hadn't capitulated against Wolves. We've had a fairly average season so far. 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 20:31, villalad21 said:

If we beat Burnley and Norwich we will be right up there.

God damn it I'm feeling excited! Just need to get that Liverpool game out of the way.

They're too good.

Overachieving on your dreams of 14th 

• Like 2

I'd be absolutely delighted with 7th, a return to European competition would be brilliant, but it would be a huge achievement after the start we had. Top half would be a good first season from the situation Gerrard walked into. The table is so congested, it's all to play for. 

On 05/12/2021 at 19:31, villalad21 said:

If we beat Burnley and Norwich we will be right up there.

God damn it I'm feeling excited! Just need to get that Liverpool game out of the way.

They're too good.

Sunday 🤣

Need to always try and be positive mate.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

Â