European chase 2021/22

Nigel

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not demanding Europe and don't think Smith should go if we don't make it. But I do think it should be our aim, there is a difference.

I've got no problem with that

what I've got a problem with is posters who then claim we definitely wont do it and use that as a stick to bash him with, we're 4 points off after 8 games despite not clicking or settling in to a rhythm as a team, we have too many that aren't glass half empty they're constantly on dregs

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got no problem with that

what I've got a problem with is posters who then claim we definitely wont do it and use that as a stick to bash him with, we're 4 points off after 8 games despite not clicking or settling in to a rhythm as a team, we have too many that aren't glass half empty they're constantly on dregs

We are definitely in with a shout of Europa qualification, there is still 90 points available. 

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

You'll be surprised, there's a few believe me. Apparently were in transition, yet again.

to be fair we are...

we have a mid table squad that has an absolute ton of potential in the academy, phase out the likes of nakamba and el ghazi and then phase in the likes of PB and chuk

i think you can measure the success of this season based on the last squad of this year and the first squad of next season and how many youngsters break through, we finish 11th this year but end the season with 5 academy players in the 16 based on merit then is it really a bad year?

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We are definitely in with a shout of Europa qualification, there is still 90 points available. 

We may be in with a shout, I just dont think our squad is good enough to achieve it, I honestly dont.  We should certainly aim for it but imo I dont think we are strong enough yet.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You'll be surprised, there's a few believe me. Apparently were in transition, yet again.

we have a £100m hole in the team that still hasn't been properly filled due to injuries. i don't think it's unfair to say we're in somewhat of a transition.

we're still better than 14th though and i doubt many would accept that...this squad is better than that. but i have no doubt in my mind we'll finish higher than that

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair we are...

we have a mid table squad that has an absolute ton of potential in the academy, phase out the likes of nakamba and el ghazi and then phase in the likes of PB and chuk

i think you can measure the success of this season based on the last squad of this year and the first squad of next season and how many youngsters break through, we finish 11th this year but end the season with 5 academy players in the 16 based on merit then is it really a bad year?

I agree that it would be really good to have 5 academy players as part of the 1st team at the start of next season, that would be a huge success. But we need to rid ourselves of this 'in transition' phrase. It is becoming an  excuse. When was the last season we were not in transition? Every transfer window the team changes and we need to adapt and constantly evolve. Our 1st season up in the PL was a genuine transition year but after that I think it is just an excuse

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I certainly dont think we are in transition but I think the jump from midtable to competing for 6th-7th position is a big jump.  I know people will go on about West Ham blah blah but one or two of the stronger squads will have a poor season but one or two will do enough to get those positions.  I still think we are a season away from those positions but certainly aim for it and if we go on a magical run we could sneak it but overall I think we are a bit light to get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We may be in with a shout, I just dont think our squad is good enough to achieve it, I honestly dont.  We should certainly aim for it but imo I dont think we are strong enough yet.

I don't either, that's why I have said I don't expect us to qualify for Europa. However, I do expect us to compete for a top 7 spot and to get beaten to it. There is also an outside chance we may have a fortunate run and one of the other teams has a dip and we could get it. But the 3 points thrown away at the weekend could prove very costly if we are to have an outside chance

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I certainly dont think we are in transition but I think the jump from midtable to competing for 6th-7th position is a big jump. 

I agree, I don't think we will do that, we have a chance but it is not my expectation. I expect 8th or 9th

• Like 1

Agree with the last few posts in parts. West Ham, although hate to use as a bar, have got a few years on us and more money spent. But I just can't see the better quality in terms of players, just maybe a more experienced manager.

Saying we still have a few Championship players on our books is fine. But is it not up to the coaches to get them performing into Premier League players. If not, why have we not tried to off load them. I'm still not convinced we have made many players any better than when they were first brought in, Grealish aside. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, instead of just saying they are poor players.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Agree with the last few posts in parts. West Ham, although hate to use as a bar, have got a few years on us and more money spent. But I just can't see the better quality in terms of players, just maybe a more experienced manager.

The annoying thing about West Ham is that we were competing with West Ham for relegation in our first season up. Since then they have moved forward more than we have. Moyes only joined them on Dec 30th 2019. On that day West Ham were in 17th place on 19 points and Villa were in 18th place on 18 points albeit Hammers had a game in hand. Since the he has spent about 120m while we have spent about 185m. Hammers appear to have improved more than we have and that is not nice to see.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The annoying thing about West Ham is that we were competing with West Ham for relegation in our first season up. Since then they have moved forward more than we have. Moyes only joined them on Dec 30th 2019. On that day West Ham were in 17th place on 19 points and Villa were in 18th place on 18 points albeit Hammers had a game in hand. Since the he has spent about 120m while we have spent about 185m. Hammers appear to have improved more than we have and that is not nice to see.

I think they were massively underperforming for their squad whereas our first season back we were about par and a good achievement to avoid relegation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

They were under performing pretty badly then to the point they sacked their manager. We were about where you'd expect us to be considering the state of the squad and the total rebuild we were undergoing.

But yeah, they've done really, really well since then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think they were massively underperforming for their squad whereas our first season back we were about par and a good achievement to avoid relegation.

But surely that was taking into account that we were in a transition phase and had just spent 144m on about 14 players so it could be argued that Villa too were under performing for the players we had in the squad

At the time Moyes took over Hammers most people in the media and on Villa forums thought the last relegation spot that year was between Hammers and Villa. It was often said that our visit to them on the final day would be to see which team went down

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But surely that was taking into account that we were in a transition phase and had just spent 144m on about 14 players so it could be argued that Villa too were under performing for the players we had in the squad

10 million a player. Same summer Haller to West Ham 40 million 

Â