European chase 2021/22

Nigel

36 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Only 3 players that started agains us in the 2019 season for West Ham started for Hammers against Everton in the most recent PL game. Both teams have changed significantly since 2019/20

West Ham had 7 players playing vs Everton that played in the last day of the season game and Yarmolenko came off the bench

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

@Vive_La_Villa

I was just looking at the teams and I think the key differentiator between Hammers and Villa over the period is Soucek. He is a rock in the middle of the park and links play really well. Moyes signed him on loan in the Jan window that year and made it permanent for 14m in the summer. That was a bargain of a purchase. I wonder where Deano's Villa would be if we had of bought Soucek instead of Nakamba

Fair point. He has been a great signing for them. One I’m sure TRO will agree with too :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

West Ham had 7 players playing vs Everton that played in the last day of the season game and Yarmolenko came off the bench

I counted 8. We realised the key difference between the 2 games against us was Moyes had taken over.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That point was already corrected, it was the home game that season I was referring to. It is probably a more apt game to use as the game in May included Moyes' Jan transfer dealings

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. He has been a great signing for them. One I’m sure TRO will agree with too :)

To be fair VLV I do like him and some will say because he is tall....its not just size with me....its their ability to attempt to dominate the ball and secure the centre of the pitch, and start dictating.

I like this boy, Gallagher.....I love watching him play, in to everything, defending, scoring on the edge of the box, like a duracell battery....its not just one game, he is the same in every game an absolute live wire.

I did post on here when he was with Albion.....worth a punt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is really important that we get some decent points in the next couple of months, if we don't we could find ourselves looking over our shoulder at a relegation battle and that would put extra pressure on the team and would likely change how we approach games. We cannot afford to get pulled into a survival dogfight for the 2nd have of the season. 

I don't think we're in any danger of being in relegation battle, we did beat Man. United and Everton back to back fairly recently after all which not many teams below 6th will do all season and certainly not bottom 6.

Just don't want 6th-7th getting miles infront of us which could easily happen if we lose our next two. I'm not demanding to finish in those positions but it would at least be nice to stay in range for most of this season and just be 5-10 points off as opposed to 15-20 which could happen if we don't even reach 50 points.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst this isn’t a defence of Smith and Villa’s progress. I think you really have to look at West Ham’s spending over the past 5-10 years to see how they should be challenging where they are really. People go on about West Ham like they have done wonders and over achieved but in reality they have spent a hell of a lot of money. They were way ahead of us in their progression. We’re playing catch up. 

Go on West Ham thread in OF around this time last year and loads were predicting them for relegation. Their start last year actually was pretty similar to us....11 points from first 8 games so that gives hope as they then had a good run up to new year and remained consistant afterwards although they only won 3 of their last 7.

West Ham's results have been hit and miss this season anyway e.g. losing at home to Brentford and Man. United while we got 4 points so I don't think there's a gulf at all and think we can run them pretty close. Longer they stay in europe the better I think.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

Not a chance of Europe, think 13-15 will be our ceiling this season. Until Smith drops this formation I can't see us winning many games. We will do enough to stay up but Europe is defo not happening. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Looks like Hause header will be highlight of our season.

Diabolical standard of performance really since then.

It can only improve Chris if Smith can adapt else he will loose his job. Its a good job the bottom 3 are so poor yet you think Newcastle will improve. I know this is looking at the glass half empty but we are 4 points above Leeds, the 4th from bottom club who have a game in hand and West Ham next up will be a tough game 

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

dunno if we need this thread 😜, we are currently on less points after 9 games, than in our relegation fight season of 19/20 (10 vs 11)

image.png.7bde50b51cbfb723775b602630d4c956.png

Thank you for this graph after each game.

Still early days but need a decent winning run to get back on track.   Like 4/4 wins in our next 4 which should all be winnable on paper. Of course it doesn’t work like that, but maybe just maybe.

45 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Europe lmao, if Arsenal can do that to us what would a European team do? 

Nothing.
Mid-level European teams are pretty shit. The hard part for us is qualifying for Europe because the PL is so hard. Playing in Europe is the easy part.

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thank you for this graph after each game.

Still early days but need a decent winning run to get back on track.   Like 4/4 wins in our next 4 which should all be winnable on paper. Of course it doesn’t work like that, but maybe just maybe.

Our last three games were all winnable and that didn’t work out too well! Dean has only had two decent winning runs in his time at the club. First our 10 game run in the Championship and then our first 4 games of last season. Other than that we have always been very inconsistent. We may win 2 of our next 4 but we will almost certainly lose 2 as well. 

Technically every game is winnable,  but of the last three games both Spurs and Arsenal would have been favorites against us, them beating us was always the most likely outcome, obviously we hope for better but the way it turned out isn't a surprise, that's why the Wolves game was so important, but even that game we wouldn't have been clear favorites. I think people have bought too much into the idea that Arsenal are some sort of joke club, they might be by their usual standards but are still doing better than us.

When you look at it's only those last three games that we've struggled and two of those games it's no surprise that we lost, we won't be the only team that loses to both Arsenal and Tottenham away from home, before the last three we were eighth and four points off the top of the table.

The most important thing is how we react to this mini run of bad form we've been on, if we continue to struggle against easier opposition then it will be worrying, but lets wait and see if that's the case first.

I think eight points from the next four would be good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us put it together like a jigsaw and come away with twelve points.

West Ham is an important game, they're not so good that a fixture against them seems overly daunting, but they're good enough that if we beat them it will give us some confidence back going into the next three.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

dunno if we need this thread 😜, we are currently on less points after 9 games, than in our relegation fight season of 19/20 (10 vs 11)

image.png.7bde50b51cbfb723775b602630d4c956.png

It is a bad run and if it persists it will impact on our team's confidence, but we stayed up in 19/20 and we will do so again this time, with points to spare. I think a challenge for a place in Europe is still more likely than a serious relegation battle.  

image.jpeg.9b3d5c5ded40b4735741afffafcf70d7.jpeg

Â