European chase 2021/22

Nigel

5 of the 7 first games have also been against teams currently above us in the table. It's been a decent start with some great performances, lacking a bit in consitency and our pre-season didn't help. 

We'll do good against the top teams again this season I reckon, win some lose some. The key will be to consistently pick up 3 points against teams from the bottom half. If we can do that a real push for europe is still very much in the cards

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't we finish 6th in one of the MON seasons with about 58 points? Last season was just a bit of abnormal one with no crowds so distorted the away form.

If we get 55 + points we'll be somewhere in top half so have to aim for that 55-60 point range and think we're capable as long as we don't have another poor three month run as happened from Feb last season.

With the teams at the bottom picking up fewer points than ever that will have a knock-on effect higher up the table.  But I am thinking of the teams we are competing against for these positions. Leicester will pickup, West Ham, Everton and one or two more. 7th is a possibility but are we better than last season without Grealish. Think we well do well to finish in the top half and next season kick on. 

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Get used to the fact that one week we can beat united and the next lose to spurs. 

It happens. 

Even the top teams lose, I'm not sure what your point is, other than disregard other peoples views and opinions when we lose.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Even the top teams lose, I'm not sure what your point is, other than disregard other peoples views and opinions when we lose.

Disregard bed wetting and moaning. Not other views and opinions. Lots of valid things get said.

• Like 2

@foreveryoung just to avoid going off topic in the Buendia thread, I'll reply here:

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The money is not the be and end it all, it's mainly about recruitment and we know ours has been very good. Do I expect to finish above those teams above? Not sure, but I believe we can beat them, an are no worse than any of them at this present time.

The money indicates how they've been developing their squads and the time they've had. We've only had 3 summer windows now. Of course recruitment is important, but getting bodies through the door is equally important, and we are way behind in that department. If money wasn't a factor, you wouldn't be expecting us to be up there anyway.

We can beat all of those teams in a one-off match, but over the course of a 38 game season the quality eventually shines through. We were above Arsenal for a good portion of the season last year (we even beat them twice), but still finished below them. They just had better squad depth. We were one Grealish injury away from implosion last year. Our squad is stronger now for sure, but it'll take some time for it to gel and we'll be inconsistent. We don't have the luxury of settled world class talents like some of our rivals (or even ourselves from last season).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

@foreveryoung just to avoid going off topic in the Buendia thread, I'll reply here:

The money indicates how they've been developing their squads and the time they've had. We've only had 3 summer windows now. Of course recruitment is important, but getting bodies through the door is equally important, and we are way behind in that department. If money wasn't a factor, you wouldn't be expecting us to be up there anyway.

We can beat all of those teams in a one-off match, but over the course of a 38 game season the quality eventually shines through. We were above Arsenal for a good portion of the season last year (we even beat them twice), but still finished below them. They just had better squad depth. We were one Grealish injury away from implosion last year. Our squad is stronger now for sure, but it'll take some time for it to gel and we'll be inconsistent. We don't have the luxury of settled world class talents like some of our rivals (or even ourselves from last season).

Grealish being injured for time is maybe the only reason we missed out on a European place last season. There is no doubt it will be hard to secure European football this season, but it's what many fans want, some expect it. If you are happy with Midtable, that's fine, but not for me, I'm with the board, I wanna push for that European place, an if Wet Spam can do it (an I don't see their team much better than ours) we can!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Grealish being injured for time is maybe the only reason we missed out on a European place last season. There is no doubt it will be hard to secure European football this season, but it's what many fans want, some expect it. If you are happy with Midtable, that's fine, but not for me, I'm with the board, I wanna push for that European place, an if Wet Spam can do it (an I don't see their team much better than ours) we can!

So do you expect us to get European football this season? Genuine question.

I don’t think you can underestimate the power of home advantage now crowds are back. You can get that little bit extra out of players if really behind the team. We’re unbeaten at home this season albeit only played 3 games. But I expect this to continue. It’s important we make Villa park a fortress.  We all saw the impact of the crowd against Everton after that second goal went in. 

• Like 3

It will be a very tough ask to achieve it this season. Losing whatsisname to oil fc put a bit of a spoke into what was already a mess of a pre-season and we have paid a price for that. Losing at Watford and several players still not at the races 7 games in has cost us points for sure but hey ho it is what it is.

Being where we are now on 10 points & in10th is not too bad but we of course need to get all the players fit & firing asap if we are serious about finishing high enough for Europe. I think we have an outside chance but we have to improve and become more consistent of course. You would say next season is more realistic but then who's to say the talent skimming clubs don't come & wreck things again in the summer which they will surely do to try to prevent us threatening as much as anything else!? That's my biggest fear. Already we have rumours linking McGinn with Manure and a few others.

It's really a case of can we continually strengthen whilst the inevitable poaching of our best players takes place. We need to find a way to take one step back but two forward every summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

This is what a few can't get into their head. Or they just choose to ignore it. 

If we get Europe, Dean Smith will surely be in the running for manager of the year. If you expect results like that then all that'll do is set you up for disappointment I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

If West Ham can get into europa last season I firmly believe we can do it this season. Remember half this forum was tipping them for relegation after they lost their first 2 last year and points wise they were probably below what we are on at this stage of last season but they got better as season went on and think their squad is fairly similar to the options we have now.

We obviously need to get our best first 11 out on the pitch as soon as possible and that includes Bailey obviously so up to DS to work it all out. We've had two excellent results with 3-5-2 and I think Bailey can fit into that (and Buendia aswell) but DS will need the balls to take out one of the strikers (likely Ings) so we'll see if he'll do that.

4-3-3 seems inevitable and possibly v Wolves, would mean Ollie left wing though from start of games. 4-2-3-1 which we finished with yesterday feels a bit Man. United esque. Exciting on paper but think Luiz and McGinn would be too overrun and not able to impact on games enough in opponents half so really hope that's not the formation we'll go back to.

I think we can be in good position by January as long as we can keep key players fit up to xmas as that's been a big issue so far compared to last season. Do that and who knows, board might go in for someone decent in January. Again to use West Ham as example people laughed when their Jan solution was Lingard on loan but that was exactly the sort of signing they needed to give them the final push.

6th-7th will still be a big ask but it's possible given how other teams have started. I see above it was mentioned Arsenal had a better squad than us last season which is probably true but there's no excuse for us now for saying we have nothing beyond the first 11. Look at our bench yesterday and still have Bailey to add to mix hopefully for Wolves.

Obviously if we go winless for nearly 3 months which seems to happen in every DS season so far it won't happen but let's hope we're past that. Overall 6 points from the 4 fixtures in September was a decent return so we keep going at that rate and then have a month where we get 10 or 11 points and we'll certainly be top half.

I don't think we will progress this season without finding a line up that Smith is happy with in some sort of variation of 433.

I also think we need to find just a little bit more consistency than we currently have but I think that will come with Bailey and Buendia settling in and being fit.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

If West Ham can get into europa last season I firmly believe we can do it this season. Remember half this forum was tipping them for relegation after they lost their first 2 last year and points wise they were probably below what we are on at this stage of last season but they got better as season went on and think their squad is fairly similar to the options we have now.

We obviously need to get our best first 11 out on the pitch as soon as possible and that includes Bailey obviously so up to DS to work it all out. We've had two excellent results with 3-5-2 and I think Bailey can fit into that (and Buendia aswell) but DS will need the balls to take out one of the strikers (likely Ings) so we'll see if he'll do that.

4-3-3 seems inevitable and possibly v Wolves, would mean Ollie left wing though from start of games. 4-2-3-1 which we finished with yesterday feels a bit Man. United esque. Exciting on paper but think Luiz and McGinn would be too overrun and not able to impact on games enough in opponents half so really hope that's not the formation we'll go back to.

I think we can be in good position by January as long as we can keep key players fit up to xmas as that's been a big issue so far compared to last season. Do that and who knows, board might go in for someone decent in January. Again to use West Ham as example people laughed when their Jan solution was Lingard on loan but that was exactly the sort of signing they needed to give them the final push.

6th-7th will still be a big ask but it's possible given how other teams have started. I see above it was mentioned Arsenal had a better squad than us last season which is probably true but there's no excuse for us now for saying we have nothing beyond the first 11. Look at our bench yesterday and still have Bailey to add to mix hopefully for Wolves.

Obviously if we go winless for nearly 3 months which seems to happen in every DS season so far it won't happen but let's hope we're past that. Overall 6 points from the 4 fixtures in September was a decent return so we keep going at that rate and then have a month where we get 10 or 11 points and we'll certainly be top half.

It's certainly possible and we have the ingredients for it now and I'm sure we'll have a real go at it, but if we don't get it this season I'm not losing sleep over it. A couple more seasons of similar investment and I expect us to be up there but I don't quite think our squad is as strong as Leicester, Spurs or West Ham yet. I think we've surpassed Everton and Arsenal though so 8th place should be in our sights this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we get Europe, Dean Smith will surely be in the running for manager of the year. If you expect results like that then all that'll do is set you up for disappointment I'd imagine. 

That's his point, most people aren't expecting it. There's absolutely a decent chance though as we have good players, good management and are playing good football without being full strength against top sides. 

Seeing potential with what we have doesn't mean people are demanding or expecting to see everything bear fruit this season, but it could. West Ham's progress shows what is possible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think we have a top 10 squad, so expect us to finish in the top 10, perhaps 11th at the lowest. Lower than that is a disappointing season. Getting Europe is a reasonable aim but I don't expect it.

Yeah I agree.  I think we should aim for Europe but I don’t think we are good enough.  I understand some teams go on a run and nick an European place sometimes but all things being equal I don’t think we are quite good enough overall.

Â