European chase 2021/22

Nigel

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

West Ham losing to Brentford. Leicester drawing to Palace. The life of clubs outside that top 4.

Our fans will get used to it one day.

You know they won’t though 😂

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Brighton and Brentford must be heading for Champions League on your reckoning then?? Including Leicester, is also scraping the barrel a bit, since they are on a poor run of form.

Very strange comments from you.  
I didn’t include Brentford or Brighton as they won’t be competing for the top 6!!

Arsenal, Spurs and Leicester will be our competitors which is why I talked about them.

Are you one of those who think we’re getting relegated after 1 bad result?

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Very strange comments from you.  
I didn’t include Brentford or Brighton as they won’t be competing for the top 6!!

Arsenal, Spurs and Leicester will be our competitors which is why I talked about them.

Are you one of those who think we’re getting relegated after 1 bad result?

No, but I am a realist, an putting us on par with a Arsenal team that is poor a Leicester team on a bad run and a Tottenham side which lost there last 3 before us does not really fill me with optimism.

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

West Ham losing to Brentford. Leicester drawing to Palace. The life of clubs outside that top 4.

There are plenty of meltdowns when the top 4 sides lose a game or two. If you're expecting to see a community of football fans come together, consider the bigger picture, and view the team's losses in perspective, I think you're in for every bit as much disappointment as fans who get angry at a poor loss. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

18% of the season gone…

2 points above Leicester.

Equal points to Arsenal.

2 points behind Spurs.

4 points from 3rd place.  

Id have taken that at the start of the season.

We still have our 2 most expensive signings to properly play in the team too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

"Ohh, we lost again, ohh well that's life outside the top 4 for ya"???? 

Why should we all get used to it, because you say? Sometimes acceptance is such a poor attitude and shows weakness.  I have always said I don't mind losing, it's just the manner in which we lose sometimes, we had the quality today to beat Tottenham, just didn't perform, an yes I expect more, an why not, we have a decent squad now!

46 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No, but I am a realist, an putting us on par with a Arsenal team that is poor a Leicester team on a bad run and a Tottenham side which lost there last 3 before us does not really fill me with optimism.

One of those teams above will still likely finish 5th in the league. Another will probably finish 6th and wouldn't shock me if the other finished 7th.

I think despite Man. United's issues they'll eventually stumble upon a decent formation and go on 5-6 match winning streak so can see 4th and above being quite a distance ahead of 5th this season.

I think key for us is try to match last season's points total or better it by a point or two. If we do that there's no way we finish bottom half as that was abnormally high points total last season due to no crowds and more away wins. Balanced out a little this season for us at least.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why should we all get used to it, because you say? Sometimes acceptance is such a poor attitude and shows weakness.

Maybe not get used to it - but not be surprised when it happens, because it will.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One of those teams above will still likely finish 5th in the league. Another will probably finish 6th and wouldn't shock me if the other finished 7th.

I think despite Man. United's issues they'll eventually stumble upon a decent formation and go on 5-6 match winning streak so can see 4th and above being quite a distance ahead of 5th this season.

I think key for us is try to match last season's points total or better it by a point or two. If we do that there's no way we finish bottom half as that was abnormally high points total last season due to no crowds and more away wins. Balanced out a little this season for us at least.

See I think we should be pushing for a European place, different expectations, an that's fine, but I do think we now have the squad for it and should aim high. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those cry babies who will be blaming Smith or a particular player if we don't make it, I'll only do that if we finish lower that last season. 😂

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Why should we all get used to it, because you say? Sometimes acceptance is such a poor attitude and shows weakness.  I have always said I don't mind losing, it's just the manner in which we lose sometimes, we had the quality today to beat Tottenham, just didn't perform, an yes I expect more, an why not, we have a decent squad now!

Do you really expect top 4? It's miles off for Spurs and Arsenal, let alone us. It's a closed shop.

• Like 1

This season has always looked like one where we'll do better after Christmas, given how many changes we made over the summer.

So IMO, we're doing ok at the moment. Nothing special, but satisfactory. If we're hovering around 9th/10th at Christmas, then I could see us making a big push and finishing around 6th/7th, which would be a solid improvement on last year and get us European football.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

See I think we should be pushing for a European place, different expectations, an that's fine, but I do think we now have the squad for it and should aim high. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those cry babies who will be blaming Smith or a particular player if we don't make it, I'll only do that if we finish lower that last season. 😂

Regardless of today I think we've shown enough in the September games to suggest 7th is realistic. Could well make it on last season's points tally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe 8th 

Didn't we finish 6th in one of the MON seasons with about 58 points? Last season was just a bit of abnormal one with no crowds so distorted the away form.

If we get 55 + points we'll be somewhere in top half so have to aim for that 55-60 point range and think we're capable as long as we don't have another poor three month run as happened from Feb last season.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't we finish 6th in one of the MON seasons with about 58 points? Last season was just a bit of abnormal one with no crowds so distorted the away form.

If we get 55 + points we'll be somewhere in top half so have to aim for that 55-60 point range and think we're capable as long as we don't have another poor three month run as happened from Feb last season.

I think we'll see the typical Smith strong finish to the season. It's all pointing that way. Once Bailey and Buendia get a head of steam and one of our 2 strikers start firing regularly we'll go on a run. If we keep picking up points at our current rate we'll be up there in top half for most of the season I imagine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Get used to the fact that one week we can beat united and the next lose to spurs. 

It happens. 

• Like 1

Spurs have a £150m striker you know. And they have Son. (Was Deano trying to tap him up??) I have maintained this season is a transitional season and next season we should be making a real sustainable challenge for Europe. 

In hindsight I would have bought on Nakamba as he has a quality the other midfielders don't - kicking the opposition.

Anything above 10th is a good season after losing Mike Lubbock and the injuries we've had. In fact We can still finish top 7 this season once everyone gels we'll be hard to contain. Depends if we can stay in touch during our inconsistent period.

Â