January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’ve no idea how much money we have left to spend but we still need a DCM a centre back and a right back just to fill the squad out.

for me I would have Zakaria (now), Botman and Aaron’s. (Now or in the summer).

I would also sell Danny ings and use the money to get Alvarez if he wanted to join us.

This is close to ideal for me. Do something like this and top six becomes a real possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't see Toon's financial muscle in the transfer window and stronger than Villa's

In reality, for this window, you are right. In theory they can invest £300m this window and their financial muscle far outweighs ours. Their League position hurts that ability and allows us to compete in this window. But future windows they'll begin to outpace us pretty swiftly.

They've been run at a profit or net 0 for the last 3 years (Vs our shambles prior to NSWE), with Prem money for an additional 2 years to us meaning effectively a year ahead of us in FFP terms, where our 3rd FFP year still has Championship money they have a clean sweep of Prem money.

Then throw in the fact that currently the rules haven't been changed to stop related-parties sponsoring means that the Saudi sponsorships Newcastle can secure post-season can be huge compared to ourselves.

Thirdly. They're worth literally hundreds of billions. Their financial muscle outweighs everybody.

We can maybe compete with them this year and next, we probably get another year or two out of it if they get relegated. But sooner or later they'll catch up and if we (and Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs, United and Liverpool) aren't careful, they'll be rooted in the top 4 in no time. 

Sell them nobody, compete with them for everybody and relegate them, hoping their big new signings don't have relegation wage clauses to screw them in FFP as much as possible.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Coutinho loan (option to buy), Digne in. Hause extension giving us familiar cover going forward. Emi extension.

What a January. Hope we can get Luiz and Chuk tied down too.

Been a very good window thus far

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

In reality, for this window, you are right. In theory they can invest £300m this window and their financial muscle far outweighs ours. Their League position hurts that ability and allows us to compete in this window. But future windows they'll begin to outpace us pretty swiftly.

They've been run at a profit or net 0 for the last 3 years (Vs our shambles prior to NSWE), with Prem money for an additional 2 years to us meaning effectively a year ahead of us in FFP terms, where our 3rd FFP year still has Championship money they have a clean sweep of Prem money.

Then throw in the fact that currently the rules haven't been changed to stop related-parties sponsoring means that the Saudi sponsorships Newcastle can secure post-season can be huge compared to ourselves.

Thirdly. They're worth literally hundreds of billions. Their financial muscle outweighs everybody.

We can maybe compete with them this year and next, we probably get another year or two out of it if they get relegated. But sooner or later they'll catch up and if we (and Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs, United and Liverpool) aren't careful, they'll be rooted in the top 4 in no time. 

Sell them nobody, compete with them for everybody and relegate them, hoping their big new signings don't have relegation wage clauses to screw them in FFP as much as possible.

But...they do have to spend that money well and with their current structure I'm pretty confident they are not going to. Hopefully they will go down and that puts them another couple of years back with the players they can attract. It needs a good management team in place to plan properly to keep progressing for a number of years. I think we have that as can be seen with the investment in youth - as well as now adding a bit of solid top level experience. They may get there eventually but it's not easy to break into the elite.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Of course it is possible they get relegated and struggle to get promoted...one can dream.

But I echo your points completely, they are Dirty, owned by an unethical corporation and as a result nobody should be doing business with them especially PL teams.

I notmally hate January.  Post xmas blues  the company i work for posting impossible targets. And just cold. Really **** cold. This year i have still had all the other stuff but its been more than compensated for by Villas actions in the transfer window and in getting Hause and now most importantly Emi on a massive new deal. 

Its mad that a player who is quite obviously champions league quality has committed for basically the rest of his prime as a player.  It just shows that sometimes being happy when playing football is more important than instant ambitions. He wants to play Chumps League but he wants to try and do it with us as it will mean more to him. 

Our club 😍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rubberman said:

But...they do have to spend that money well and with their current structure I'm pretty confident they are not going to. Hopefully they will go down and that puts them another couple of years back with the players they can attract. It needs a good management team in place to plan properly to keep progressing for a number of years. I think we have that as can be seen with the investment in youth - as well as now adding a bit of solid top level experience. They may get there eventually but it's not easy to break into the elite.

Plus they have a LOT of players to sign.  I mean how many players in their current squad would you want Villa to sign?  I think we can count that on the fingers of no hands.  So when all the clubs in the top 8 are say spending £100m a season on 1 or 2 players.  £300m really doesn't go very far when you need 15 or 16 players.  I means that's £20m each when other clubs ahead of you are signing players worth £40 - 60m.  I think even if they sign 6 £50m players they still have another 5 players on the pitch for the opposition to target.  And it isn't like they even have one part of the system that is OK - their keeper isn't great, their defence is woeful, their midfield is easy to dominate and they aren't a goal threat.  Every club in Europe is also wary of them so will be adding a Saudi premium onto every transfer - they are also unlikely to be willing to send out younger players that might make it (i.e. deals like the one we made to bring in Dougie).  You can be the richest person in the world but if no-one wants to sell you anything there's not much you can do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Perhaps not - for next season.

But their financial muscle will come into play - FFP or not.  A couple of stadium and shirt sponsors, an official flight partner, drinks partner, kit partners, etc, etc and suddenly they can afford the same targets and push up the league, making it harder for ManUre to push back into the UCL where the real money is.

Stadium sponsor etc must be at market rate, FFP will come into play. Newcastle is not a bottomless pit of money to be thrown about. PIF has lots of money but so to do NSWE. They have about 13Bn, there is a limit to how much can be spent on players and wages and that limit is certainly within NSWE's reach

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Stadium sponsor etc must be at market rate, FFP will come into play. Newcastle is not a bottomless pit of money to be thrown about. PIF has lots of money but so to do NSWE. They have about 13Bn, there is a limit to how much can be spent on players and wages and that limit is certainly within NSWE's reach

I reckon some of the signings and other moves and acquisitions are very much in line with demanding top dollar from any new sponsors, and actually being able to get it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

54 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

They have been changed, any sponsorship must be at market rate.

Also, and I can't understand why so many people miss this point. PIF is not Newcastle United. Newcastle is NOT the richest club in the world. PIF has many other investments too

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon some of the signings and other moves and acquisitions are very much in line with demanding top dollar from any new sponsors, and actually being able to get it.

Top dollar is fine, but it must be at market rate. They can't get a sponsorship deal worth multiples of say Man Utd's sponsorship deals

18 minutes ago, allani said:

Plus they have a LOT of players to sign.  I mean how many players in their current squad would you want Villa to sign?  I think we can count that on the fingers of no hands.  So when all the clubs in the top 8 are say spending £100m a season on 1 or 2 players.  £300m really doesn't go very far when you need 15 or 16 players.  I means that's £20m each when other clubs ahead of you are signing players worth £40 - 60m.  I think even if they sign 6 £50m players they still have another 5 players on the pitch for the opposition to target.  And it isn't like they even have one part of the system that is OK - their keeper isn't great, their defence is woeful, their midfield is easy to dominate and they aren't a goal threat.  Every club in Europe is also wary of them so will be adding a Saudi premium onto every transfer - they are also unlikely to be willing to send out younger players that might make it (i.e. deals like the one we made to bring in Dougie).  You can be the richest person in the world but if no-one wants to sell you anything there's not much you can do. 

We have spent about 450m on players in the last 3 years and we are midtable. Toon cannot spend the amount of money they would need to in order to compete. They will also most likely go through a few managers in the next few years

• Like 3

It is all very nice and quaint thinking that FFP will stop Newcastle becoming a world class team over the next couple of seasons but facts are they have more money combined than citeh and psg and look how they’ve been hampered by ffp and punished … Also how are world leaders doing with the the MBS x Khashoggi killing? The Saudis can pretty much do and get away with what they want so cannot see FFp being too much of a hinderance to them 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It is all very nice and quaint thinking that FFP will stop Newcastle becoming a world class team over the next couple of seasons but facts are they have more money combined than citeh and psg and look how they’ve been hampered by ffp and punished … Also how are world leaders doing with the the MBS x Khashoggi killing? The Saudis can pretty much do and get away with what they want so cannot see FFp being too much of a hinderance to them 

So what, we have bent FFP rules. Let’s not throw our dummies out the pram because someone has more money than us. Would be very hypocritical of us to get on our high horse regarding FFP.

Edited by WHY

i think any CB we sign will need to be quick, agile etc, with the way Gerrard likes to play his full backs so far up the pitch, the CBs will likely need to make a lot of recoveries and close down sprints etc, as well as Gerrard wanting to play "possession" football, which will mean the defenders probably playing higher up the pitch, meaning a pacey/agile defender can recover better from balls down the sides / over the top etc.

I really dont expect us to be signing a Tarkowski type, who although a good defender, isnt really speedy/agile or a recovery type defender.

Who knows though.