January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

'Preparing a bid'. 'Considering a bid'.  'Sounding out the possibility of an approach'. 

'Ploughing the furrows of a potential purchase'. 'Caressing the smooth neck of a potential transfer'. 'Winking playfully at the future deal that might be agreed'

I will not take this seriously until the war chest is quoted and we are putting a finishing touch onto the bid in preparation of launch

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

There's just one small problem here. The Athletic know jack shit.

🥉69

You’re mistaken. Some of the Athletic reporters are excellent and have the inside track. Unfortunately for us we have that pleb Gregg Evans reporting for us. 

• Haha 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

You’re mistaken. Some of the Athletic reporters are excellent and have the inside track. Unfortunately for us we have that pleb Gregg Evans reporting for us. 

The only thing they will know about this deal is when it's announced on our OS.

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

I assume it’s more a in 10-20 years type of thing.

I.e. Chelsea and Man City from a Man U pov 

I agree, in 10 to 20 years they will be competing with Man Utd. But next season the will not and selling players to Newcastle now won't make any difference to Man Utd. If they can screw Toon out of silly amounts of cash then they would be daft not to do so

37 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

This is very accurate...  The Athletic has some of the best NBA reporters/articles out there, but it's basically a meme when it comes to Gregg Evans.  

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, in 10 to 20 years they will be competing with Man Utd. But next season the will not and selling players to Newcastle now won't make any difference to Man Utd. If they can screw Toon out of silly amounts of cash then they would be daft not to do so

Yeah but, I think (and I’m assuming here) the point of the OP was that if they get relegated this season, that may set them back 3-10 years.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think we’re going to busy until the end of the window… both in terms of incomings and outgoings. I’m sure we want to finish the season as well as we can and give us some momentum going into the next.

I heard somewhere that, after the Everton game, we don’t have a game for a while so can probably focus more on transfers and negotiations in that period.

Exciting times, we mean business and want to be more formidable.

I really hope for an exciting last day of the window where we sign a surprise player that is considered a coup for Villa. Our last day of a transfer window are always boring. I want to be excited. Yes, this is very childish but I was always jealous of other clubs pulling one out of the bag just before the window closes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wes said:

Julian Alvarez looks like he's going to Manchester City. Or rather signed by them then loaned either back to River or somewhere to one of the City Group clubs.

I think we're going to rue the day we didn't go for him in the summer, as I had hoped back in June.

TBH, I don't think it wasn't a case of Villa not being interested more so than he wasn't interested in coming to us at the time.  He is the hottest prospect in South America and was wrapping up a phenomenal season for River when we were being linked to him.  It was more the case of "come to Villa now, or possibly double/triple what Villa would offer in wages in another year".  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

There's just one small problem here. The Athletic know jack shit.

🥉69

In fairness, it is a safe bet to say Toon are interested but the player won't sign for them. So there is at least one other PL club interested :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

Plus they have a LOT of players to sign.  I mean how many players in their current squad would you want Villa to sign?  I think we can count that on the fingers of no hands.  So when all the clubs in the top 8 are say spending £100m a season on 1 or 2 players.  £300m really doesn't go very far when you need 15 or 16 players.  I means that's £20m each when other clubs ahead of you are signing players worth £40 - 60m.  I think even if they sign 6 £50m players they still have another 5 players on the pitch for the opposition to target.  And it isn't like they even have one part of the system that is OK - their keeper isn't great, their defence is woeful, their midfield is easy to dominate and they aren't a goal threat.  Every club in Europe is also wary of them so will be adding a Saudi premium onto every transfer - they are also unlikely to be willing to send out younger players that might make it (i.e. deals like the one we made to bring in Dougie).  You can be the richest person in the world but if no-one wants to sell you anything there's not much you can do. 

I'd take Saint Maximan

4 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Yeah but, I think (and I’m assuming here) the point of the OP was that if they get relegated this season, that may set them back 3-10 years.

It will potentially set them back a bit but in the scheme of things it won't impact Man Utd. A year in the Championship to get their management team in place, get a Dir of Football and improve facilities could be of benefit to them. They would come up stronger and be a more appealing club to new players

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I really hope for an exciting last day of the window where we sign a surprise player that is considered a coup for Villa. Our last day of a transfer window are always boring. I want to be excited. Yes, this is very childish but I was always jealous of other clubs pulling one out of the bag just before the window closes

I think there’s every chance we end up signing Bissouma or a similar player…

I wouldn’t rule out another statement signing… transfer windows rarely “heat up” before the final day too…

• Like 1