January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

12 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

This is close to ideal for me. Do something like this and top six becomes a real possibility.

Challenging for it definitely.

id consider us to have a full squad if we did what I suggested.

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah they can't register new players if they're outside of the budget for the year in La Liga. That FFP with teeth. 

In Prem / CL you just break the rules and pay for lawyers instead. 

The mooted salary cap is the next evolution of FFP which means nobody new can join the party ever. The cap on salary will be 70% of revenue, so you can't grow revenue by doing what we're doing. It's just even more closed shop.

Prelude to a super league.

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

Edson Alvarez from Ajax could be a shout for DM as he can also play CB… Apparently wanted by Ch€$Ki, Leicester & Palace. Oh and he’s turned down Salma Hayek. 

Decision Making not one of his strong points then 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tarkowski On a free would be a sensible signing. We badly lack strength in those positions. 

Yeah but 4 CBs, Mings, Konsa, Hause, Tarkowski isn't that inspiring. We should sign someone who can go straight into the team and take on Mings / Konsa for their starting places

8 hours ago, thabucks said:

Edson Alvarez from Ajax could be a shout for DM as he can also play CB… Apparently wanted by Ch€$Ki, Leicester & Palace. Oh and he’s turned down Salma Hayek. 

...offer to join her billionaire husbands French side Rennes :D 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Yeah but 4 CBs, Mings, Konsa, Hause, Tarkowski isn't that inspiring. We should sign someone who can go straight into the team and take on Mings / Konsa for their starting places

I think Tarkowski would probably start for us in fairness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Tarkowski would probably start for us in fairness. 

Yeah, I agree he's very good. Also adds another experienced player to mix too. He's had 6 seasons in a row of regular football in the Prem? Just turned 29 so he was in his early 20s when he started playing in Prem. 

Tarkowski and Mings would make a good partnership. Tarkowski is a very good player. He does lack a bit of pace but he reads the game very well. He would also add some steel to our defence. If signing him means we have the spare money to sign a top DCM then I would be delighted.

17 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, in 10 to 20 years they will be competing with Man Utd. But next season the will not and selling players to Newcastle now won't make any difference to Man Utd. If they can screw Toon out of silly amounts of cash then they would be daft not to do so

I just think this is short sighted. Yes they have to spend it well and they may very well spend it badly, but...

Man City were bought on August 4th 2008 then they won the FA Cup in 2011, the Premier League in 2012 and their first League and League Cup double in 2014.

Took them 3 years. This idea that it'll take Newcastle a decade or two is weird. They don't have the backroom team but the people they are after from Newcastle and Brighton show they're making strides there too. 

I really don't think any clubs with their own ambition of competing should be selling them anybody and helping speed up the process.

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I hate headlines like this.

First of all, it's not possible. United, Barca, PSG, Chelsea all lose players they don't want to. City, Bayern and Real are more immune to it but they will too.

Second of all, it's presented as though Gerrard offered up this quote out of nowhere. But it's undoubtedly to a variant of the question 'will Aston Villa still be forced to be a selling club after players have signed these long term deals' to which Gerrard can only answer 'no we don't want to be a selling club'

..and then this comes out and can be held against him and the club every time we undoubtedly sell a player.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I hate headlines like this.

First of all, it's not possible. United, Barca, PSG, Chelsea all lose players they don't want to. City, Bayern and Real are more immune to it but they will too.

Second of all, it's presented as though Gerrard offered up this quote out of nowhere. But it's undoubtedly to a variant of the question 'will Aston Villa still be forced to be a selling club after players have signed these long term deals' to which Gerrard can only answer 'no we don't want to be a selling club'

..and then this comes out and can be held against him and the club every time we undoubtedly sell a player.

By our own fans, some just waiting for Gerrard to fail. 

• Like 2