January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It will potentially set them back a bit but in the scheme of things it won't impact Man Utd. A year in the Championship to get their management team in place, get a Dir of Football and improve facilities could be of benefit to them. They would come up stronger and be a more appealing club to new players

Potentially, I don’t disagree on the basis that all of this is pure conjecture, but the FFP implications and then having to attract quality post-relegation does set them back years. They don’t have the recruitment of a Brentford/Southampton and they don’t have the academy prodigy that we had (and all the benefits that have come with that, both playing and FFP).

Newcastle probably lose St Maxamin if they’re relegated and then they are literally rebuilding from scratch.

Just now, KangarooVillan said:

Potentially, I don’t disagree on the basis that all of this is pure conjecture, but the FFP implications and then having to attract quality post-relegation does set them back years. They don’t have the recruitment of a Brentford/Southampton and they don’t have the academy prodigy that we had (and all the benefits that have come with that, both playing and FFP).

Newcastle probably lose St Maxamin if they’re relegated and then they are literally rebuilding from scratch.

I agree that the FFP and spending will hurt them and set them back. But the impact of that will be felt by the teams in the lower half of the PL table. It won't bother Man Utd. At some stage in the future Toon will be competitive at the top end of the table and it is just something Man u will have to live with. But those days will be quite a few years in the future imo

• Like 1

I think I’d rather we spent big on a centre back if possible this January  - I wonder if they are looking for players with prem experience as that shortens the list massively. France is the obvious place to look with their frankly ridiculous current crop of outstanding centre backs… 

• Like 1

The reason I think we'll do another deal in this window (probably going all out for Bissouma) is based on Purslows comments the other day about them treating the January window in the exact same fashion as the Summer window. A lot of clubs clearly don't, but we have our targets and we'll go after them regardless of whether it's the Summer or January. 

Brighton will sell this window, it's just whether we can match the fee and whether he wants to come to Villa. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

You’re mistaken. Some of the Athletic reporters are excellent and have the inside track. Unfortunately for us we have that pleb Gregg Evans reporting for us. 

Evans and that City reporter who threw tantrums in the summer are definitely competition winners

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why is anyone talking about FFP like it's actually a thing? city have been breaking the rules for years with zero consequence, newcastle will do the same

European FFP is more severe though. Milan teams were given a European ban

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why is anyone talking about FFP like it's actually a thing? city have been breaking the rules for years with zero consequence, newcastle will do the same

The rules have been changed since City signed their stadium, it can no longer happen. FFP is definitely a thing!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Plus as we know - they will have to recruit a team to get them promoted, then recruit another team to keep them up and then it depends on whether they just stay up or stay comfortably clear as to whether they can then attract top player or not.  Our owners bought knowing that they were buying a team in the Championship.  It will be interesting, if Newcastle do get relegated, whether the Saudis are really in it for the long term, whether they get bored or whether they start sniffing around elsewhere.  Personally I think that Newcastle would need to get promoted first season or the owners start getting itchy feet.  Just feel they are more interested in instant gratification than having to wait another 5 seasons before they can even hope to start competing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

You’re mistaken. Some of the Athletic reporters are excellent and have the inside track. Unfortunately for us we have that pleb Gregg Evans reporting for us. 

They have some excellent main article writers and central pieces, especially when they do bigger sweeping state of football style reporting 

They're then shite when they have local reporters on smaller desks scrambling for content and resorting to gossip and transfer bullshit

So in other words they're the same as everyone else... After marketing themselves on being different and not resorting to the gossip

Where is evans' monthly in depth tactical analysis of villa or even just some kind of article providing an insight that you sit there and think it's taken him a month to put it all together? Doesn't exist and that for me is disappointing

what the athletic said they would do compared to what Evans is doing deserves ridicule

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think I’d rather we spent big on a centre back if possible this January  - I wonder if they are looking for players with prem experience as that shortens the list massively. France is the obvious place to look with their frankly ridiculous current crop of outstanding centre backs… 

DCM for me is the priority over a CB but I would like to see a big spend on a CB in the summer, unless we make 2 big signings this month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Plus as we know - they will have to recruit a team to get them promoted, then recruit another team to keep them up and then it depends on whether they just stay up or stay comfortably clear as to whether they can then attract top player or not.  Our owners bought knowing that they were buying a team in the Championship.  It will be interesting, if Newcastle do get relegated, whether the Saudis are really in it for the long term, whether they get bored or whether they start sniffing around elsewhere.  Personally I think that Newcastle would need to get promoted first season or the owners start getting itchy feet.  Just feel they are more interested in instant gratification than having to wait another 5 seasons before they can even hope to start competing.

I'd love to see them relegated and sell the club back to Ashley at a massive loss and just give up on the idea of getting a PL club and go buy a club elsewhere. There would be a nice meltdown on Tyneside 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

European FFP is more severe though. Milan teams were given a European ban

Yeah they can't register new players if they're outside of the budget for the year in La Liga. That FFP with teeth. 

In Prem / CL you just break the rules and pay for lawyers instead. 

The mooted salary cap is the next evolution of FFP which means nobody new can join the party ever. The cap on salary will be 70% of revenue, so you can't grow revenue by doing what we're doing. It's just even more closed shop.

3 hours ago, Wes said:

Julian Alvarez looks like he's going to Manchester City. Or rather signed by them then loaned either back to River or somewhere to one of the City Group clubs.

I think we're going to rue the day we didn't go for him in the summer, as I had hoped back in June.

Oh my.

Well we **** that.

Wonder if it was Purslow saying no I prefer Ings?

Hope he butts out of all recruitment matters other than signing the cheque.

Looks likes it's about £17m. Ouch.

Edited by Tomaszk

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh my.

Well we **** that.

Wonder if it was Purslow saying no I prefer Ings?

Hope he butts out of all recruitment matters other than signing the cheque.

Wonder if it was the player saying no? Nice presumptions

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah they can't register new players if they're outside of the budget for the year in La Liga. That FFP with teeth. 

In Prem / CL you just break the rules and pay for lawyers instead. 

The mooted salary cap is the next evolution of FFP which means nobody new can join the party ever. The cap on salary will be 70% of revenue, so you can't grow revenue by doing what we're doing. It's just even more closed shop.

Another reason why we are probably doing what we are doing now, or at least I very much hope so