Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

I'm glad the online cesspit hasn't translated to Villa Park yet, but I think it is having an impact.

The stuff I see written about Mings (who I am happy was dropped), Targett, even Buendia is an utter disgrace. It must be hard to play with any confidence really, and if you are doing it to your captain players must be thinking "I could be next".

People need to call out these absolute w*nkers online much more than they are. So if you see outright abuse of the players, please call them out.

The players will see it, would be nice if they saw people supporting them too.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well, it works both ways. The fans could get behind the team and roar them on, you know, being the twelfth man, like the banner says. It's easy being the extra man when the team is winning. 

I'm loathe to criticise the fans too much when I couldn't be bothered to go, but to be honest, the shit, negative experience at VP is one of the reasons I don't bother going much, it's a depressing place much of the time unless the team is smashing it. People are far quicker to jeer and boo than they are to encourage and cheer. 

True, for me it was just annoying when we were down to 10 men and for a period we probably played our best stuff, or at least the likes of Marv and Watkins were busting a nut and there was barely any response.  Then a goal on the counter and everyone seemed to **** off home.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2021 at 20:37, OutByEaster? said:

Also, a mention for the minutes silence - there was a fan or two, I think outside the ground, and I think West Ham, but might have been ours - singing loudly during the silence, presumably without realising - it carried on for about thirty seconds and was a touch disappointing. A booming voice from the Upper Holte suddenly shouted "F***ing shut up!" and it was silenced.

I mean, it detracted from the occasion slightly, but it was beautifully done.

In the Lower Holte you could just hear everyone in the concourse that were still finishing their pints.  That's an issue now they've decided to not show anything on the screens there.  Nobody knew it was taking place.  

Steward's walkie talkies were going off throughout too.

• Like 2

We need another lock down to keep the prolific moaning groaning words removed out. 

Last season position behind closed doors was certainly Not a coincidence! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Kind of sad that the team need to be absolutely flying for VP to be roaring the team on. The amount of groaning etc when the team was a man down couldn't have been constructive. They want the ball forward immediately but also would groan if it's hoofed, like make up your minds. We're a man down, we're not exactly going to tiki taka our way through in 10 seconds.

I think you’re on dodgy ground when you start blaming the paying public for poor performances. Fans pay to be entertained, if the overpaid millionaires aren’t doing it then the audience will let you know. It’s been this way for thousands of years and it will never change. What’s next, blaming the throw in guy? 

On 18/10/2021 at 19:21, maqroll said:

I still think Stand By Me could work as an anthem, like our YNWA.

On 18/10/2021 at 23:14, Hornso said:

A small example

On 19/10/2021 at 06:27, maqroll said:

I knew it could sound good in a football ground! 

Too bad they they beat us to the punch. 

"Anthems" are never going to happen like this. They're not going to be thought up and then introduced into a ground.

Anthems just happen. It's spontaneous and gets adopted by fans.

Allez Allez Allez might not be liked by everyone but it's happened and it's been widely adopted. Personally I love it for that reason.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I think you’re on dodgy ground when you start blaming the paying public for poor performances. Fans pay to be entertained, if the overpaid millionaires aren’t doing it then the audience will let you know. It’s been this way for thousands of years and it will never change. What’s next, blaming the throw in guy? 

disagree

there are too many fans who have us as losing before a ball is kicked, Sunday afternoon was a prime example of that, its flatter than a witches tit before kick off and that just carries on through the game, too many fans get antsy if we're not 5-0 up with 5 minutes left, we've seen the wolves game too many times before, history is not on our side and our fans let the players know it, we have a fanbase watching a game waiting for the worst to happen, we are not a joyful bunch

and it will get worse, cold dark late afternoon kick offs...uphill battle, always has been IMO

as part of the VP redevelopment the club really need to try and get a pre game buzz around the place but i dont know what the answer is to that

edit - upcoming home games include man city at 8.15pm on a wednesday night and leicester 4.30pm on a sunday afternoon, both of them are horrible kick off times for our home crowd, we wont be up for either game

Edited by villa4europe

Absolute nonsense. Crowd was firmly behind the team on Sunday. 2-1 we showed fight Nakamba was rattling into people the crowd was backing them. They gave us something to shout about and we responded in kind.

Guess what? You start the first 20 minutes of football game like Gareth Southgate does against big boys the crowd aren't going to get excited.

We didn't engage anyone. We didn't press. There was no energy no movement no kind of enthusiasm at all from anyone on the pitch.

What do you do in that situation? We're all buzzing for the game and willing to back the lads to get back on winning ways. 

They gave us nothing.

4:30 kick off. Sunday. Pissing down all day. Absolute stinking weather....and we're supposed to provide a raucous atmosphere when players are going through the motions.

Sod off man.

• Like 1

I watched the West Ham game longingly today. The atmosphere there was totally electric. Drury said the stands were shaking. I really hoped this season was going to be like that for us. Can it still? Seems we are miles behind West Ham and now even teams like Crystal Palace FFS, who also had a rocking stadium this weekend.  Grrrrrrr.

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I watched the West Ham game longingly today. The atmosphere there was totally electric. Drury said the stands were shaking. I really hoped this season was going to be like that for us. Can it still? Seems we are miles behind West Ham and now even teams like Crystal Palace FFS, who also had a rocking stadium this weekend.  Grrrrrrr.

Palace have always put most teams to shame with their atmosphere to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Palace have always put most teams to shame with their atmosphere to be fair.

Yeah, I've always clocked that. Fair play to them. Not a whole lot to make noise about over the years but they always sell out the ground and always make a good atmosphere. 

West ham were rioting and trying to attack their own board members a couple of seasons back and the forums were full of complaints about the shit atmosphere

Shock horror its buzzing now they're doing well

Sometimes I think some contributors to this thread have never been to an english football game

Edit: lesson learned about reading posts properly before jumping to conclusions. Saw a reference to west ham and assumed someone was saying our atmosphere should be more like theirs

Edited by slowandlow
  • Like 1

Â