Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive sat in various home ends. Arsenal, spurs chelsea and utd as a aload of may mates are ST holders at those clubs.

I have to say utd fans were actually the less toxic out if the lot followed by arsenal.

Chelsea fans were the worst. Their fans are truly awful hooligans (not all but times ive been there and the toxicity with little kids right there awful)

But i think with VP the element of pressure from the fans does take a toll. Scared to make errors and things like that 

Agree with that, I went to old Trafford last season to watch them against Southampton, they drew 1-1 in a largely uninspiring game and there wasn’t much toxicity. That said, I also think they almost certainly have the most ‘casual’ fans who don’t seem as invested as the median football fan.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I also bet if we didnt sack a media darling then Talksport wouldnt have cared to mention us

Having Gabby as a host is gold for them but a headache for us because it just gets passed off as “Mr Villa Legend says X”. 

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Keown said he came in a few years after the European Cup win, around ‘85 and was surprised how hard it was and we got relegated

The Winning side had been dismantled and the manager sacked by Ellis for finishing 8th. The best players gone, mostly and replaced by worse ones. The manager was out of his depth, we got regularly thrashed and several of the players were a disgrace. Keown was possibly the least bad, though he scored a number of own goals.  The club was a mess. Yes the fans were very, very unhappy. A lot had stopped going and the rest were true die hards. It was everything you’d get anywhere in such a mess. I remember seeing a documentary on Man City from the late 70s or early 80s when they were awful. City players saying they were jeered and abused by their own fans when they arrived before a match to get changed. So bad was it that they ended up getting changed away from the ground and getting to the ground just before kick off once everyone was inside. We’re not unique, we’re no different to anyone else in the same circumstances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Today villa park was great

Just watching spurs game and the fans have e turned on them. Dont hear any if the pundits saying spurs fans turn on their team

Sat in third place. Anyone who thinks this is an us thing is mistaken.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

I'm wondering how our toxic fans came across on TV today because it was pretty radio active in the ground today. I saw at least 3 people with their eyes popping out when the 3rd goal went in. Scared me to be honest.  

Villa park can be hard work at times. Too easily swayed with negative emotion. Things can get very heavy or toxic even and the fans can go quiet early on instead of getting behind the team. Happens at other places though. We are quite demanding in that we want to be entertained . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Villa park can be hard work at times. Too easily swayed with negative emotion. Things can get very heavy or toxic even and the fans can go quiet early on instead of getting behind the team. Happens at other places though. We are quite demanding in that we want to be entertained . 

Todays a perfect example you give villa park somwthing to shout up and they stick with you.

The only thing we need to work on is when ut dint go our way the groaning needs to be toned down and we gotta get behind them. As there was no groans today we saw less errors and the players didnt play with that added pressure

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Todays a perfect example you give villa park somwthing to shout up and they stick with you.

The only thing we need to work on is when ut dint go our way the groaning needs to be toned down and we gotta get behind them. As there was no groans today we saw less errors and the players didnt play with that added pressure

This is a weird conversation now.  When things aren’t going well over a long period fans naturally have groans and when things are good fans are louder.  It happens at every club in every stadium.  Fans tend to start positive but start groaning if things aren’t going well in a match, that will never change.  Players have to deal with crowd reaction as well because that is part of football.  We are no worse than other clubs.  It’s a discussion for sake of discussion to make an issue of something that isn’t an issue and just naturally part of football.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is a weird conversation now.  When things aren’t going well over a long period fans naturally have groans and when things are good fans are louder.  It happens at every club in every stadium.  Fans tend to start positive but start groaning if things aren’t going well in a match, that will never change.  Players have to deal with crowd reaction as well because that is part of football.  We are no worse than other clubs.  It’s a discussion for sake of discussion to make an issue of something that isn’t an issue and just naturally part of football.

It isnt wierd if you followed the conversation earlier in the thread i said i been to various grounds quite a lot as lot of my friends are ST holders and they dont groan as much as VP Does (eg utd) 

Easy to say players have ti deal with it. If only it was that simple. The modern games changed a lot. Its hard to block the noise out

Players understand they have to deliver to get the fans onside.

Managers understand this fact all to well.

This “toxic” nonsense….It’s one big wind up either by  the media to sell newspapers,get clicks or telephone calls or by fans of other teams on social media.

All fans are the same….at every club.

We are no better or worse than any other team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How much of a problem do you think this is? Is it a myth or this legs to it? I must admit i havent been villa park much this year so cant comment. But its just villa park its on social media im seeing players getting abused 

The fans don't seem especially toxic to me -- but a little benighted, for sure. I like West Midlands humour, too, so that takes away some of the toxicity. Not so much a self-pitying fan base, as sometimes a bit beaten down and dark on social media, perhaps through years of heartbreaks? I do see a lot of normal-looking happy families in the stands on TV. It seems just amazing and similar to average major sporting grounds in the States where I live.

I think sometimes when discussions on social media go around and around and around, there's a kind of toxic process that can take over and have a life of its own, so even healthy forums can get sort of poisonous, and I think the Gerrard situation was producing some toxicity. I mean, you've got a bunch of committed fans, and they feel powerless, and they feel like they know what needs to be done, and no one is really listening.

When someone at sporting events from the stands abuses players and managers, I always just think they're morons.

I've only seen Villa once in person, so I can't comment on our fans at the football grounds, apart from what I read. I know Villa Twitter pretty well, and it has some cool cats as well as the usual sick puppies and incels, etc. you find everyone on the interwebs. Villa Talk is social media that's well-moderated, and that makes all the difference, which is why I grace this place with my magnificence.  

I think some of the side discussions on football message boards are fascinating and hilarious.

I don't mean to sound bigoted, but in my experience, Albion supporters seem more into name-calling, denigrating rivals, etc. on social media, maybe due to insecurity. They seem pretty toxic to me.  

I was at Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles in August and a brawl broke out right beside me. We had to run for our safety. Security was terrible, and went in and joined the brawl. My kid kept trying to get video, and I'm like, we need to GTFO. Scary. Happens ALL THE TIME at Dodger Stadium. People get murdered in the parking lot. You want to talk toxic?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It isnt wierd if you followed the conversation earlier in the thread i said i been to various grounds quite a lot as lot of my friends are ST holders and they dont groan as much as VP Does (eg utd) 

Easy to say players have ti deal with it. If only it was that simple. The modern games changed a lot. Its hard to block the noise out

Old Trafford doesn’t groan much? Are you kidding.  Plus they have also to your point they constantly moan and protest against the owners.  They have also booed their own players.  Since Ferguson it has been not great for Man U fans and they have made their voices known inside and outside the ground.  They also have periods where the crowd is dead quiet for big parts of games.

I have followed the whole conversation and the narrative trying to be built is that Villa is more toxic than other clubs.

As for the modern game, I don’t know what that means in this context? Do you mean players are more sensitive to crowd noises?  Crowds are quieter these days around the country because it’s more family oriented and because of seating, whereas when I started to go in my younger years it was far more louder and harsher.  The reason I say harsher was….let’s say, the chants were less politically correct. The reason it was louder is the chanters could mingle together, were all standing and crowds were a lot more dominant by men than families.  

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Players understand they have to deliver to get the fans onside.

Managers understand this fact all to well.

This “toxic” nonsense….It’s one big wind up either by  the media to sell newspapers,get clicks or telephone calls or by fans of other teams on social media.

All fans are the same….at every club.

We are no better or worse than any other team.

I agree with this to a degree. Toxicity is contextual and just varies based on what a club is going through. It usually occurs after a period of apathy/disconnect from the club, so it's no wonder that things turned toxic for Gerrard the last few games when so many had mentioned that they'd been feeling that disconnect for a while.

• Like 3

Â