Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

22 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m sure you’re basically right but there are some differences. Look at Everton last season, their football was diabolical but still the home fans more or less carried them through.

Like us when we avoided relegation a few seasons back.

I’m not saying we aren’t struggling with atmosphere at the moment and there are certainly grounds that are less fickle than we are but I think we are probably middle of the road re atmosphere fluctuations over time.

Edited by nick76

I think that is the biggest damage Gerrard has done. The football is bad but what is worse is the general meh apathy his personality has inflicted across B6. As a fanbase we were so united under Deano and that is all gone. Smith got the fans back to Villa Park, if Gerrard carries on any longer we will be losing fans.

• Like 1

I think this needs to be discussed generally as it was raised on talksport and a villa fan that called in said the fans are a problem as we make it hard place for our own team. He gave a good example of the liverpool win with no fans.

I was on luiz instagram page where he apologised for red even though he doesnt ahve to have been retracted, leon bailey put some heart emojis then if you read beneath the baileys comments he is getting absolute dogs abuse from some "villa fans" for his performance and one even says "go with gerrard".

El ghazi had it at one point and i am pretty sure there are many more.

How much of a problem do you think this is? Is it a myth or this legs to it? I must admit i havent been villa park much this year so cant comment. But its just villa park its on social media im seeing players getting abused

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think this needs to be discussed generally as it was raised on talksport and a villa fan that called in said the fans are a problem as we make it hard place for our own team. He gave a good example of the liverpool win with no fans.

I was on luiz instagram page where he apologised for red even though he doesnt ahve to have been retracted, leon bailey put some heart emojis then if you read beneath the baileys comments he is getting absolute dogs abuse from some "villa fans" for his performance and one even says "go with gerrard".

How much of a problem do you think this is? Is it a myth or this legs to it? I must admit i havent been villa park much this year so cant comment. But its just villa park its on social media im seeing players getting abused

I think social media is awful for this but we are not unique and the majority of fans don’t do this.

At the ground, I think we are more likely to be quiet than toxic. We have watched some absolute dross under Gerrard but it only became nasty in the last week or so.

It’s what fans do, at any side. Some people get off on the idea of writing a comment to a player thinking they truly care about what they have to say. People are idiots. 

I do agree that we make it hard sometimes on match days though. As a collective we are extremely impatient and obviously frustrated. However we have been through a lot of crap these past 20 years or so. Things have to change. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Don't do social media so can't comment.

Don't go away so can't comment.

Attend most weeks at Villa Park and I've rarely seen anything other than the usual moaning at the ground. I've seen a crowd back every single manager bar cabbage man.

Only real vitriol I remember seeing in the modern era was the Birmingham Derby and that was towards the opposition and vile.

I've sat next to Bruce on his last game in the Trinity and many a manager. 99% of the crowd backed them all to the end.

We're a good fanbase , just groaners.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we are. 

But what I do think we have is an 'ageing' fan base who are fed up of years of false promises. 

My early years supporting Villa were spent watching a decent side, constantly finish towards the top of the League. We seemed to get manager appointments 'right' but since O'Neil & Lerner, it's been chaotic. The run in the Championship to win the playoffs was probably as good as it has been for a Villa fan in about 20 years. Other than that, it's been 1 failed manager after another, poor owners who promise the world and don't deliver and I think with the fact we finally have owners who have ambition, which isn't being translated onto the pitch, gives us more to scratch our heads and whinge about. 

We ain't a glamour club, that young kiddies want to go and buy the latest shirt or play with on FIFA cos' of the players we have. Briefly, when Jack was the golden boy, we were that club. Even if you tell other fans how rich our owners are, they scoff, because of our position and the fact we ain't challenging near the top. 

That's why it's easy to label us' toxic'. I think 'tired' is a better word. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think social media is awful for this but we are not unique and the majority of fans don’t do this.

At the ground, I think we are more likely to be quiet than toxic. We have watched some absolute dross under Gerrard but it only became nasty in the last week or so.

From the team i have noticed its been quiet but the main noise you hear is groaning when the ball is passed back alot. I think villa park is notorious for this compared to other teams i watch on the box.

I get we need something to cheer for but when i watch how the newcastle  fans get behind their team (they were superb vs Everton) compared to us. Villa park when we 1st came up was superb. It just seems to have detoriated alot recently. Id like to blame it all on gerrard but is it all on him? I dont likenthis social media abuse to our players. Its pathetic

In general? Don't really know tbh. On here? Quite so I'd say. I don't like the word toxic, but the attitudes here can be ruthless at times. It comes from passion and is probably a bit fuelled by entitlement feeling we are due certain things we haven't really deserved in decades. 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

the newcastle  fans get behind their team (they were superb vs Everton) compared to us. Villa park when we 1st came up was superb. It just seems to have detoriated alot recently. Id like to blame it all on gerrard but is it all on him? I dont likenthis social media abuse to our players. Its pathetic

But they were worse than us under Bruce?  

The only fans I see that get behind the team regardless are Leeds and that is only since Bielsa.  It will change soon enough.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s a problem for players some are scapegoated unfairly.  The boos and Gerrard out chants were justified. I think we were all very patient with him to be fair. 

I think it would have been very bad today if gerarrd was there. I thinknthere would have been banners.

Im hoping today the fans get behind the team they need it today

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No more toxic than any other fan base.  That fan on Talksport I just rolled my eyes at when I heard it.  It’s like it at every club, you can go through each team and see the same when they have bad times and the upside in good times.  It’s a silly discussion imo to think we are more toxic than anybody else.  We are probably middle of the range in this aspect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

The only fans I see that get behind the team regardless are Leeds and that is only since Bielsa.  It will change soon enough.

and Leeds fans were awful for decade or more before that.

• Like 1

Medium toxic. We're very demanding and appear to love in-fighting more than the average fanbase. Not just on forums - I've witnessed this at such pivotal moments as half-time at Wembley during massive games like play-off finals where it isn't really acceptable.

I think there are a few worse than us though, even in the prem.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it would have been very bad today if gerarrd was there. I thinknthere would have been banners.

Im hoping today the fans get behind the team they need it today

Win ,lose or draw the fans will be behind the team today as long as the performance is good. We don’t ask much  we just want a team that attempts to win a match in a positive manner.

12 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Bruce could make any fan base turn to be fair. We know full well of that!

Â