Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

How was it against Brentford? As good as the Everton game?  Was it nervous energy at the start?   Lots of singing in the second half when it was quieter on the pitch? 

It was noisy at the start, then obviously the goals came quickly so everyone was jubilant then had a bit of a lull and went a bit quiet but not in a tense negative sort of way. Then just a generally happy relaxed noisy second half with    lots of individual player chants, calling for danks to give us a wave, taking the piss out Brentford and asking Toney what the score was. 
Not a frenetic passionate atmosphere because it didn’t need to be, just a happy crowd enjoying the football. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s a shame at half-time the Holte did not do the Jimmy Rimmer, Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy chant but I suppose a lot of people don’t remember

The people old enough to remember are too old to remember.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, philthevillan said:

The atmosphere was great today v Brentford. Just one question; what is the walk on music the players now come out to for the second half? 

Alan Parsons Project - Sirius

• Like 1

As football has become more and more expensive to watch , fans naturally react negatively if the product so to speak is not value for hard earned money. 

If you went to gig that cost £50 and the band were out of time and out of tune people will boo and complain loudly. 

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I have followed the whole conversation and the narrative trying to be built is that Villa is more toxic than other clubs.

Personally, I think we are.  We're like an extreme fan base - absolutely fantastic (better than lots) when things are going well and absolutely horrific (worse than lots) when things aren't.  Of course, all clubs are like this to some extent but I do think we manage to come close to both poles.

I think a lot of it is fuelled by the whole "big club" stuff.  "We" perceive ourselves as being a big club with a rich history so should be doing 'well' in whatever guise that is.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I think we are.  We're like an extreme fan base - absolutely fantastic (better than lots) when things are going well and absolutely horrific (worse than lots) when things aren't.  Of course, all clubs are like this to some extent but I do think we manage to come close to both poles.

I think a lot of it is fuelled by the whole "big club" stuff.  "We" perceive ourselves as being a big club with a rich history so should be doing 'well' in whatever guise that is.

I cant agree...yes I understand the big club stuff but fans always feel they should be at their potential.  Man U fans think they should be elite not just top club, Liverpool pre-Klopp the same, we feel we should be in scrapping into Europe or at least Top 10 just like clubs our level.  Look at Spurs at the moment, they have an elite manager and third in the league but their fans are moaning and booing, and talking about Poch coming back.  Then teams at the lower end that think they shouldnt be fighting relegation but mid table.  The same into the Championship of clubs thinking they should be PL.  If fans dont think they are where they should be and poor performances are happening they show their feelings.  I dont think we are any worse and I dont think we are extreme.  I think even when things are going well we get the Holte End rocking I still think there is more in the tank because I've seen it in the past.  I think we are mid all clubs, in fact I think most clubs are much of muchness on this topic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s a shame at half-time the Holte did not do the Jimmy Rimmer, Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy chant but I suppose a lot of people don’t remember

As the PA system was so loud by the time I realised it was Jimmy Rimmer on the pitch, he was off down the tunnel. Don't think he was at the 40th anniversary was he?

On 23/10/2022 at 11:15, Demitri_C said:

I think you have a point here. If you go on this forum for example, gerrards a bad appointment so their are posters demanding purslow and lange should be sacked.

Its crazy 

That’s not fair and a total generalisation.

I think you’ll find that that whole argument gets blown completely out of proportion when there’s a passionate conversation over something.  Nobody likes to back down over something that they have said, and things escalate quickly.

Gerrard was utter dogshit as a manager, but Purslow was refusing to act on what was obvious. Someone floats the idea that if he can’t see something as obvious as this, then he needs to go.  Someone else calls that person stupid for suggesting such a thing… and back and forth until it culminates in a full on argument about something borne out of frustration.

I think you’ll find this is human nature rather than a villa thing.  People will get more defensive about their intelligence being questioned than whatever their opinion was about in the first place.

person A: if Purslow can’t see that Gerrard isn’t going to turn this around then he needs to go too.

person B: oh my god, you want Purslow sacked because he won’t sack Gerrard? After all the good that he’s done so far? You’re so thick!

Person A: But if Gerrard takes us down, then Purslow will be at fault for not acting quicker!! You’re the thick one!

Person C,D,E : Villa Fans are toxic, they want the CEO sacked.

When actually, they’re just having an argument because they’re frustrated that the manager was utterly out of his depth and shit.

If we appoint a manager that turns things around, Purslow will be a hero again.

But If we appoint Robbie Fowler because he won the Ugandan Premier league with the second best team in the country…

25 minutes ago, Thug said:

That’s not fair and a total generalisation.

I think you’ll find that that whole argument gets blown completely out of proportion when there’s a passionate conversation over something.  Nobody likes to back down over something that they have said, and things escalate quickly.

Gerrard was utter dogshit as a manager, but Purslow was refusing to act on what was obvious. Someone floats the idea that if he can’t see something as obvious as this, then he needs to go.  Someone else calls that person stupid for suggesting such a thing… and back and forth until it culminates in a full on argument about something borne out of frustration.

I think you’ll find this is human nature rather than a villa thing.  People will get more defensive about their intelligence being questioned than whatever their opinion was about in the first place.

person A: if Purslow can’t see that Gerrard isn’t going to turn this around then he needs to go too.

person B: oh my god, you want Purslow sacked because he won’t sack Gerrard? After all the good that he’s done so far? You’re so thick!

Person A: But if Gerrard takes us down, then Purslow will be at fault for not acting quicker!! You’re the thick one!

Person C,D,E : Villa Fans are toxic, they want the CEO sacked.

When actually, they’re just having an argument because they’re frustrated that the manager was utterly out of his depth and shit.

If we appoint a manager that turns things around, Purslow will be a hero again.

But If we appoint Robbie Fowler because he won the Ugandan Premier league with the second best team in the country…

You havent been in the purslow and lange threads then clearly if you think i am exaggerating 

I dont think there in enough letters innthe alphabet for your example there thug!

He should be  criticised for errors but some of the stuff written is way OTT being labelled a man with little man syndrome and then mocking purslow for yesterday on her saying he needs to get sacked is what creates the toxic vibes

• Like 1

I think a lot of us are just jaded...  I'm sick of Aston Villa being a "sleeping giant" and being disappointed or consistently underperforming year after year.  I've been a Villa supporter since 2006 and in that time I've seen us:

• Miss out on the Champions League 3 years running under O'Neill
  • Purposefully bomb out of the UEFA Cup in our last appearance by playing kids and not prioritizing the competition
  • Lose 2 cup finals because of horrific refereeing decisions
  • Be relegated because years of poor business decisions by Lerner finally caught up with us
  • Lose a relegation play off final with one of the most expensively assembled Championship squads of all time
  • Be days away from administration because a fraud of an owner ran us even more poorly than Lerner did

I look back on the highs and there aren't many...

• Winning 10 games in a row in the Championship
  • Winning the promotion playoff Wembley
  • Landing Coutinho on loan from Barca and subsequently signing him on a permanent deal 

Being a Villa supporter means we're used to coming up short, being kicked in the teeth, and constantly being disappointed by our club over and over again.  We know how good things can be, we can see the fact that we finally have owners who not only have money, but the business savvy to realize our ambitions as well, but it really would be great to finally start showing progress toward that end again.  

Am I entitled?  Yes.  Am I toxic?  Probably.  Do I care?  Not at all...

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have no stats for this but I wouldn't be at all surprised if over last 10 years we've proportionality (allowing for 24 team leagues) lost the most games out of the 92 clubs.

More than Sunderland?  I don't think so...

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think we are mid all clubs, in fact I think most clubs are much of muchness on this topic.

Always love that phrase, "much of a muchness."

What is toxic, anyway? What actually does that mean? I'm not honestly sure. It's way overused these days, covering everything from mental illness to antisocial behavior to minor characters flaws, such as vanity. Everything's and everyone's ****ing toxic in 2022 if people don't want to deal with it, often deservedly so. "My job's toxic." "My ex-friend is toxic." "My dog is toxic." Since it gets overused, it becomes what George Orwell calls a "meaningless" word—at least that's how I see it. 

From my very unimportant perch, from afar, and a long way from Brum, I see attitude-related commonalities between club fanbases from similar cultural and geographic regions of England. Often, no one wants to hear that West Midlands fanbases share anything but the accident of birth with other West Midlands clubs, but, I do observe more commonalities than not when compared, say, with Arsenal's fan base. It gets very complicated, too.

Something I love is how a lot of Midlands fanbases seem to have big chips on their shoulders, but Villa's may possess the biggest of all. I wouldn't want it any other way. There's a certain defensiveness and (deeply hidden) need for approval, all darkly gravied over with the hope that, one day, somehow, somewhere, Villa will win the league again, and the HP Sauce factory will reopen, and Britain will right itself and King William will nod down, smiling, as we lift the cup. Toxic? Or very very very hungry for wins? I'm not sure.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You havent been in the purslow and lange threads then clearly if you think i am exaggerating 

I dont think there in enough letters innthe alphabet for your example there thug!

He should be  criticised for errors but some of the stuff written is way OTT being labelled a man with little man syndrome and then mocking purslow for yesterday on her saying he needs to get sacked is what creates the toxic vibes

Ok fair enough, I haven’t read the full thread, and I’m not sure if I want to

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

On VT?

Chris Sutton absolutely slaughtering the Villa fans tonight on BBC Radio 5 Live saying we have ideas above our station, that we got Gerrard sacked, and we won't give any time to a new manager. What a complete word removed.

• Like 2

Â