Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

But they were worse than us under Bruce?  

The only fans I see that get behind the team regardless are Leeds and that is only since Bielsa.  It will change soon enough.

Exactly and Leeds fans are already turning on Marsch. I honestly don’t think we are that unusual. Everton fans were toxic under Rafa but have connected with Lampard and are much happier.

16 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

The only fans I see that get behind the team regardless are Leeds and that is only since Bielsa.  It will change soon enough.

Leeds away fans turned under their last game, started chanting about Bielsa and wanting Marsch out. Anything other than a win for them today and Marsch is gone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

They were chanting for Bielsa in their most recent match I’m led to believe. They certainly did when they lost to us last season.

To answer the OP,  Villa support is no more toxic than any other support. You can find people who are never happy even at the most successful clubs. Real Madrid supporters, they’re famously chilled out when things aren’t exactly perfect for them, aren’t they?

Man Utd supporters quickly became angry once Ferguson had gone. Arsenal supporters and Wenger…

Win some matches and things are generally chilled out. 

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Leeds away fans turned under their last game, started chanting about Bielsa and wanting Marsch out. Anything other than a win for them today and Marsch is gone.

I went to Elland Road a few times during Clough's 44 days, and they gave him dog's abuse and 'bring back Revie' chants pretty much from the off. 

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Characterising fan bases is just a nonsense. Like somehow a cast of 10s or hundreds of thousands of individuals over a long period, decades, is somehow able to be encapsulated by one word. It’s ludicrous.

If you give any ground full of football supporters an entertaining, mostly winning team to watch the atmosphere will be terrific. If you give that ground a dull mostly losing/drawing team, the atmosphere will be muffled, grumpy, quick to anger.

And the atmosphere will reflect other things too, like hope, pride, togetherness, concern, defiance, complacency, expectation…

Its absolutely universal. In terms of Villa, the club has spent the past decade bumping around the lower half of the league, getting relegated, failing to get promoted, then going up and now bumbling around the bottom again.

Giving fans “labels” is really really lazy. Ex players of whatever club will have an impression and relay it, along with their personal bias or support for whichever team. So Martin Keown will say Villa fans are quick to grumble, based on him playing for Villa in a relegation season, when the players were largely an utter disgrace. Graeme Souness will have his thoughts on Liverpool fans based on playing in a hugely successful side, but tempered a bit by managing them when they were less successful.

Villa fans are not “toxic”, nor are we “incredible” or any of the other labels that get used from time to time. It’s all bollex.

I get what your saying pete but if we look from a outside view why do ex players, pundits etc always say its a tough place to play when you a player? Keown touched on it on friday.

Can everyone else see it and we don't? Even the TS caller who is a VT season ticket holder said he is embarrassed about our fans alot of the time.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I get what your saying pete but if we look from a outside view why do ex players, pundits etc always say its a tough place to play when you a player? Keown touched on it on friday.

Can everyone else see it and we don't? Even the TS caller who is a VT season ticket holder said he is embarrassed about our fans alot of the time.

Because it’s an easy throwaway comment to make. Anywhere is a tough place to play when you aren’t winning games of football. If that’s the level of insight we get from Keown then it’s more of an indictment on the level of punditry we have than our fans.

Was Villa Park a tough place to play when we went on long winning runs under Smith and Bruce? A ground being happy when their team is generally winning and less so when their team is losing more often than not shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Keown said he came in a few years after the European Cup win, around ‘85 and was surprised how hard it was and we got relegated.  What was he expecting, we had a few years before won the European Cup and then we were in a relegation fight that we lost.  Of course fans are going to be hard to please then.  I thought it was bizarre he didn’t put two and two together.  I’m guessing Liverpool or City fans wouldn’t be happy after winning the CL that around five years later they were relegated.

1 hour ago, sne said:

No worse than any other fan base.

Agree with this

You look at the stuff with bentacur and then even last night with amorim and it's not a Villa or an English thing, even man City fans moan on blue moon

Football is still a vent and moan and let a lot of negativity out its just developed in to different ways of doing it, now with social media and forums it's 24/7, twitter is an absolute cesspit and football on Facebook is going the same way

There are some on here that I do at times wonder if they genuinely enjoy football and whether they should take a break from it because they sound like it's impacting their lives in too negative a way, I don't understand why you'd do that to yourself, the whole "thanks villa, ruined my weekend" I'm not sure some are joking

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Keown is always saying it. It’s because he played at Villa in the awful relegation season under Turner and McNeill, when the atmosphere was bad (unsurprisingly).

It depends who you listen to. Alan MacInally played in the side the year after Keown. He doesn’t think the same. Why’s that ? Maybe because he played in a better side that got promoted.
Any set of fans can turn on players or manager or whoever. Any set of fans can really get behind their team or a player or manager. Any set of fans can barely make a peep, or can be very loud.

• Thanks 3

We're not toxic but years and years of turmoil has shredded our nerves and tested our patience. It's no surprise given "The Project" is plagued by poor decisions and constant resets. We're a big club struggling to fulfil our potential so I think any unrest from the fans is understandable.

Social media intensifies the worst aspects, and I think the players do struggle at home. Gerrard was a managerial leech draining everyone around him. I expect a much better atmosphere today. Pressure and expectation are natural in football, we just have a particular cohort of mentally weak players. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

1 because the players who never had a problem have nothing to talk about.

2 they want controversial opinions or opinions that fit whatever narrative they’re trying to push at any one time.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Keown is always saying it. It’s because he played at Villa in the awful relegation season under Turner and McNeill, when the atmosphere was bad (unsurprisingly).

It depends who you listen to. Alan MacInally played in the side the year after Keown. He doesn’t think the same. Why’s that ? Maybe because he played in a better side that got promoted.
Any set of fans can turn on players or manager or whoever. Any set of fans can really get behind their team or a player or manager. Any set of fans can barely make a peep, or can be very loud.

Keown playing for us was before my time so i will take all your guys word for it back then.

It always does seem though us villa fans get labelled as being tough on our players. I do think there is a element if truth to it, but i do accept the point if your playing well and winning then usually you wont get that.

Im hoping now gerrards gone VP will get back to the place we know it can be.  Its been shocking this year in terms of atmosphere 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

No more toxic than any other fan base.  That fan on Talksport I just rolled my eyes at when I heard it.  It’s like it at every club, you can go through each team and see the same when they have bad times and the upside in good times.  It’s a silly discussion imo to think we are more toxic than anybody else.  We are probably middle of the range in this aspect.

I also bet if we didnt sack a media darling then Talksport wouldnt have cared to mention us

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, birdman said:

We're not toxic but years and years of turmoil has shredded our nerves and tested our patience. It's no surprise given "The Project" is plagued by poor decisions and constant resets. We're a big club struggling to fulfil our potential so I think any unrest from the fans is understandable.

That is something you can fairly aim at villa fans, we've seen too much shit too many times

How many mentions of Lerner has there been recently in the NSWE thread?

How many mentions of garde are there in the new manager thread?

How quickly do we fire up the relegation thread every year?

We might not be more toxic than other fans but we do seemingly have more fear and less patience meaning we are quicker to turn

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

We might not be more toxic than other fans but we do seemingly have more fear and less patience meaning we are quicker to turn

I think you have a point here. If you go on this forum for example, gerrards a bad appointment so their are posters demanding purslow and lange should be sacked.

Its crazy 

Â