Austin MacPhee

Strog

17 hours ago, penguin said:

Was a very bizarre scapegoat but with the specific shoutout today and I can’t remember us looking this dangerous from set-plays since MON, he deserves massive credit.

I would change that to since Laursen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jayEm said:

The back and forth on this guy in this thread is mental. I understand it given the performances but it's quite funny

I don't think too many people questioned his work on set pieces when we're attacking. We had a few set piece goals earlier in the season where he was rightfully praised (e.g. after Hause's winner against Man U). The question was whether he was helping us defend set pieces. We gave up quite a few goals from those late in Deano's reign.

• 4 weeks later...

This man is stealing a living.  Set pieces are getting worse and I didn’t think that was possible when he took over.  Might as well kick the ball into the stand when we get a dangerous free kick or corner.  

16 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

This man is stealing a living.  Set pieces are getting worse and I didn’t think that was possible when he took over.  Might as well kick the ball into the stand when we get a dangerous free kick or corner.  

We're 5th in the league for goals from set pieces.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Set pieces have just off the top of my head has won us 9 points for this season , it’s been set piece goals alone in some games, the “this guy is stealing a living”  thing was the flavour 2 months ago mate

6 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

bullshit meme | Dubsism

Guy is an easy target because he has a low profile compared to blaming other high profile people

• 2 weeks later...

It’s worth watching our disallowed goal against Man U closely.

If you watch Ramsey and Buendia they both positioned themselves about 5 yards offside just inside the box and don’t move through the whole set piece. Presumably they are acting out a set play and are there to attempt to block off defenders runs. 

The only thing is that is not allowed. Offside attackers should not interfere with play and should get out of the way to let the onside players play.  

It is frustrating because it seems like we’ve attempted to be too cute without actually understanding the rules.

It’s likely that had Ramsey and Buendia pushed up and kept themselves onside, like attackers normally do, Ings would have scored anyway and the goal could have stood.

2 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Seems like the 19 other teams in the Prem need to change their set pieces too. Everyone blocks runs during free kicks.

Strange that the offside rule needs to re-written when Villa play in Manchester.

Not offside players. Normally attackers stay onside.

They made it so obvious by being so far offside that all Cavani had to do was run towards one and fall down. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Not offside players. Normally attackers stay onside.

They made it so obvious by being so far offside that all Cavani had to do was run towards one and fall down. 

Yes, it was so obvious it took four minutes of reviewing slo-mo frame by frame to make a decision

• Like 2

Â