Austin MacPhee

Strog

15 hours ago, thunderball said:

Oops. [GOAL FLASH; Mings at 68minutes]

It's all about the timing ;).

Presumably MacPhee was responsible for both defensive and offensive set plays? If so,  it is a surprise he's still around. Our terrible defensive record from set pieces is a huge part of the reason we lost so many, and hence why Dean got sacked.

If he is only an offensive coach then it makes a bit more sense why he's still here.

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hands in his pockets in the warm up - lots of backslapping from him as the warm up ended.

Long throws gone.

Could be wrong but looked like he was saying goodbye. 

We tried a very complicated first half short corner 😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Good to see him in the back seat on the bench today and us not over complicating set pieces. He can work his magic in quiet and not take so much room.

Noticed that too. Didn't see him all game 

22 hours ago, MaVilla said:

sure i saw in the match thread, that he was standing up and shouting instructions etc, and Gerrard told him to "sit down"?

If this is based on a post I made at HT, I hadn’t seen him literally be told to sit down, I was just commenting that Gerrard had been in the technical area on his own throughout the first half. 
McPhee popped up twice during the Gamer that I saw, once during an injury break and another as we were defending a free kick from the right in the second half, he was screaming at someone, backed up by SG, (Targett possibly) to move but the players looked nonplussed as to what the instruction was.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chappy said:

he was screaming at someone, backed up by SG, (Targett possibly) to move but the players looked nonplussed as to what the instruction was.

Think he was yelling “they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!”

It aroused SJM, but the English lads weren’t impressed. 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, chappy said:

If this is based on a post I made at HT, I hadn’t seen him literally be told to sit down, I was just commenting that Gerrard had been in the technical area on his own throughout the first half. 
McPhee popped up twice during the Gamer that I saw, once during an injury break and another as we were defending a free kick from the right in the second half, he was screaming at someone, backed up by SG, (Targett possibly) to move but the players looked nonplussed as to what the instruction was.

i saw that...i think about 4 of the coaches were up in the end telling them all to move! they did in the end...brighton had a couple of men free at the back so presumably that was why

re: mcphee the pitchside coverage that came out earlier this afternoon saw him quite involved in the game i thought, making notes etc throughout and heavily involved in celebrations. didn't seem like someone that's been relegated to just putting out the cones like has been suggested.

21 hours ago, chappy said:

In all fairness Targett looks nonplussed 99% of the time.  It's his default facial expression. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i saw that...i think about 4 of the coaches were up in the end telling them all to move! they did in the end...brighton had a couple of men free at the back so presumably that was why

re: mcphee the pitchside coverage that came out earlier this afternoon saw him quite involved in the game i thought, making notes etc throughout and heavily involved in celebrations. didn't seem like someone that's been relegated to just putting out the cones like has been suggested.

I would assume Stevie Geeeee knows him/knows of him fairly well due to Scotchland. 

21 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Think he was yelling “they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!”

It aroused SJM, but the English lads weren’t impressed. 

Then Gary Mac proceeded to consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse 

• Haha 2

Austin is definitely a passionate feisty individual. I worried about this under Smith because MacPhee definitely became the loudest voice on the touchline at times during matches.

I've got no such worries with Gerard in charge, so AM's passion can hopefully be channeled in a positive way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Austin is definitely a passionate feisty individual. I worried about this under Smith because MacPhee definitely became the loudest voice on the touchline at times during matches.

I've got no such worries with Gerard in charge, so AM's passion can hopefully be channeled in a positive way.

Let's hope so, there's got to be a reason he's still in situ.

Just now, sne said:

Vindicated!

im not sure how swinging a corner in to the box can be viewed as vindication for a set piece coach.....

maybe he could take credit for player positioning and cross location?, dunno.

seemed a pretty standard corner and Targett did well in a difficult position.

• Like 1

Â