Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

I really rate Ings. I just don't think he fits into the way Emery wants us to play from the start. He wants two very quick forwards who run between CB and FB and create space centrally for the wide midfielders who move into the space behind forwards to attack into. Ings is at his best (as we saw again against Wolves) making well timed runs between CBs. He's an excellent finisher and he always scores more than his xG. 

Question is, if he doesn't fit the way Emery wants to play we need to accept that and give the desperation of many PL clubs for prove CFs we can cash in on Ings for 15-20m. If we have Sarr and Deloufou coming in and Ings and Archer leaving surely we're all ok with that. Emery needs to be allowed make the changes he thinks are needed. The difference between when Gerrard wanted to do this and Emery is Emery is an outstanding experienced proven winning coach. He knows what he's doing.

I really rate Ings but he needs to be played the way he's best, we had moved to 4 2 3 1 against Wolves and he got the goal. We played 4 4 1 1 against Brighton and he got two. 

3 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Why do we have to put Ings and Watkins up against each other?

Both are great at their specialities, but lacks in other areas.

I hope Ings get more game time, but I still rate Watkins.

For me, I think only one of them fits into Emery's plans.  My hope is that he can utilise both as both have qualities that we need in our side.

I still think having Ings as the striker and Watkins as the wide forward could work really well - we'll see what Unai does!

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I really rate Ings. I just don't think he fits into the way Emery wants us to play from the start. He wants two very quick forwards who run between CB and FB and create space centrally for the wide midfielders who move into the space behind forwards to attack into. Ings is at his best (as we saw again against Wolves) making well timed runs between CBs. He's an excellent finisher and he always scores more than his xG. 

Question is, if he doesn't fit the way Emery wants to play we need to accept that and give the desperation of many PL clubs for prove CFs we can cash in on Ings for 15-20m. If we have Sarr and Deloufou coming in and Ings and Archer leaving surely we're all ok with that. Emery needs to be allowed make the changes he thinks are needed. The difference between when Gerrard wanted to do this and Emery is Emery is an outstanding experienced proven winning coach. He knows what he's doing.

I really rate Ings but he needs to be played the way he's best, we had moved to 4 2 3 1 against Wolves and he got the goal. We played 4 4 1 1 against Brighton and he got two. 

I think Ings does fit Emery’s systems…the key point is plural on the systems whereas you seem to be locking him down to one way of playing.  In many different ways Ings fits perfectly whereas other ways Ollie does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

You don’t sell the one man that really knows how to put the ball in the net. Insanity to even discuss selling him at that stage. Where would he go? Likely to a rival who may well leap frog us in the league. No chance. 

^^^

I’d be very reluctant to sell him in the January window, his goals to minutes ratio has been good, very good in fact. Goals in this league are priceless.

If he is indeed happy to come off the bench in a lot of games then he is definitely worth keeping - for every Spurs type performance that won’t necessarily need him, there will be a Wolves type performance that does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’d be very reluctant to sell him in the January window, his goals to minutes ratio has been good, very good in fact. Goals in this league are priceless.

If he is indeed happy to come off the bench in a lot of games then he is definitely worth keeping - for every Spurs type performance that won’t necessarily need him, there will be a Wolves type performance that does.

When we are at home against team sitting deep, Ings should be starting.  Away from home playing on the counter, start Watkins.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

When we are at home against team sitting deep, Ings should be starting.  Away from home playing on the counter, start Watkins.

Yes but that's not how football works though? Watkins starts away from home and runs his arse off, bags a goal against tough opposition, and gets dropped at home to Plymouth.

One has the shirt. At the moment it's probably Ings??

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes but that's not how football works though? Watkins starts away from home and runs his arse off, bags a goal against tough opposition, and gets dropped at home to Plymouth.

One has the shirt. At the moment it's probably Ings??

Ings scored two against Brighton and was dropped for Liverpool.  That's football, it's a squad game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

But how many teams are going to come to Villa Park and sit deep from minute 1? At present he’s more ideal to come off the bench as the game progresses and the opposition start to sit deeper imo.

Diabolical today for my money - worst player on the pitch in a game full of contenders.

I think he had about six touches of the ball throughout the game - it's hard to believe he's only 30 - he plays like a 38 year old striker who was once absolutely incredible - the instinct is there, the ability to finish remains, but he can't run and he has no mobility.

We have got real problems up front - a winger with no confidence, a player who does everything well except score goals and Ings who looks like he's in his fifties, contributes nothing but can finish. It's no sort of blend at all.

• Like 2

Other than the goal I didn't think he was very good today, which is the problem with striker like him, if they're not scoring not worth having in the team, which I think is why Watkins usually the preferred option and rightly so.

Â