Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Ings is the best finisher in the club by an obscene distance. He's also a pretty clever player and he does work hard. Unfortunately he's not a pace monster and he's not a guy who will be able to high intensity press for 90mins, which we probably need. But we also need someone who can reliably score chances when they come... Which only Ings is capable of.

A difficult one.

If only he had asthma

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Goals win games, not pressing.

You don't get goals if you don't have a foothold in a game. 

Football isn't as black and white as being suggested in this thread a lot. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You don't get goals if you don't have a foothold in a game. 

Football isn't as black and white as being suggested in this thread a lot. 

Good to know. Will bare that in mind when Ollie has missed a few more sitters costing us points. As long as his pressing stats are good though. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The weird idea being put forward in this thread is that being a striker is entirely about what you do in front of goal in a 1v1 with the keeper.

As if the sport doesn’t involve running, winning headers, battling for possession, etc.

It’s just madness. If that was all that counted, Ronaldo wouldn’t be moving to Saudi Arabia, because he’s still an unreal finisher. Unfortunately you do need the all round game.

Not trying to beat up on Ings here because I really rate him, but let’s not make out that if he played 90 mins every week he’d be getting 20+ goals for us purely because he’s a good finisher.

I mean he’s a better finisher than Gabriel Jesus, but who would you rather have up front?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The weird idea being put forward in this thread is that being a striker is entirely about what you do in front of goal in a 1v1 with the keeper.

As if the sport doesn’t involve running, winning headers, battling for possession, etc.

It’s just madness. If that was all that counted, Ronaldo wouldn’t be moving to Saudi Arabia, because he’s still an unreal finisher. Unfortunately you do need the all round game.

Not trying to beat up on Ings here because I really rate him, but let’s not make out that if he played 90 mins every week he’d be getting 20+ goals for us purely because he’s a good finisher.

I mean he’s a better finisher than Gabriel Jesus, but who would you rather have up front?

Where did the myth start that Ings doesn’t do any of that? Is Watkins better at it? Probably. But again, it’s pointless doing all that if you aren’t going to put the ball in the back of the net. 

Honestly - if Sa doesn't slip - I think he reaches it before Danny.

But otherwise a good finish.

I think he can play in a 2 up top even with Watkins but it would have to depend on the opponent and the rest of our available players.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Where did the myth start that Ings doesn’t do any of that? Is Watkins better at it? Probably. But again, it’s pointless doing all that if you aren’t going to put the ball in the back of the net. 

He doesn't do any of that stuff particularly well (by Premier League standards). That's why he goes missing from games.

And no it's not pointless doing that stuff if you don't score, so long as your *team* scores & wins. Football is a team sport.

I agree Watkins would be a much better player if he was a better finisher, but his goalscoring record is pretty typical of a mid-table PL striker, and was better than Ings's the one full Villa season they both played regularly.

• Like 1

I think there's definitely a place for him here with mainly sub appearances and the odd start. Whether he's happy with that is another issue, but he seems to have a massive impact off the bench that isn't quite there when he starts. Still really like him as a player though, and he's far more intelligent and classy with his link-up play and passing than I realised before he signed. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Honestly - if Sa doesn't slip - I think he reaches it before Danny.

But otherwise a good finish.

Watch the goal again, not once does he look at Sa, he is just concentrating on the finish.

I have been disappointed with Ings tbh, but i would keep him until Archer is ready

48 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Watkins runs around a lot, so that’s good apparently.

27 minutes ago, jim said:

Watkins runs around a lot, so that’s good apparently.

He was also our top scorer in our best season in recent memory, and has been superb in several of our recent wins.

He had a bad game against Wolves, and Ings came off and looked more dangerous. Doesn’t mean Watkins is useless, and nobody is saying Watkins is only good because he runs around a lot. But running is quite an important aspect of football.

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I thought he was going to Everton, but the Goblin Danny Murphy assures me he's going to Southampton. 

These idiots actually get paid to talk utter bollocks, don't they? 

Sorry, ignore the above. 

He's definitely now going to Wet Spam 

spacer.png

Â