Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Ollie is a winger, not a goal scorer. Ings is just quality all over. Only needed one chance to score. 

Well, he's not though, is he? We signed him as a striker and play him as a striker.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well, he's not though, is he? We signed him as a striker and play him as a striker.

He’s a wide forward, he naturally drifts to the left side, isn’t in the centre of the box as often as a striker when chances come into the box…he’s a wide forward like (not winger).

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s a wide forward, he naturally drifts to the left side, isn’t in the centre of the box as often as a striker when chances come into the box…he’s a wide forward like (not winger).

Not for us he isn’t, he’s predominantly played as a lone striker or in a front two.

Just now, duke313 said:

Not for us he isn’t, he’s predominantly played as a lone striker or in a front two.

No I meant how he plays on the pitch, not his actual position.  He naturally drifts left.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Because he can't press and hold up the ball like Watkins.

Let Watkins tire them out then bring on Ings like last night. The perfect impact sub.

He does press though not as effective as Watkins but he does his share of pressing

• Like 1

I thought he was going to Everton, but the Goblin Danny Murphy assures me he's going to Southampton. 

These idiots actually get paid to talk utter bollocks, don't they? 

He don't talk like someone who wants to leave our club, feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, as he'll probably go to a lesser club, doubt it'll be bottom of the table Southampton, surely he'd refuse that move. He really needs to be here till the summer at least, if he goes in this window, I can only think emery has plans for a top striker.

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He don't talk like someone who wants to leave our club, feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, as he'll probably go to a lesser club, doubt it'll be bottom of the table Southampton, surely he'd refuse that move. He really needs to be here till the summer at least, if he goes in this window, I can only think emery has plans for a top striker.

Watching him coming in from training before the game yesterday, he looks really focussed, like he has a point to prove. Took his chance well when it came.

• Like 1

Ings is the best finisher in the club by an obscene distance. He's also a pretty clever player and he does work hard. Unfortunately he's not a pace monster and he's not a guy who will be able to high intensity press for 90mins, which we probably need. But we also need someone who can reliably score chances when they come... Which only Ings is capable of.

A difficult one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Have you only just started watching Villa?
I mean Watkins and Ings has been tested by Smith and Gerrard. It doesn't work. 

Even in a fading Smith team and the total shit show of a Gerrard team they looked good together in spells.  I'm sure some Emery wizardry will see them form a perfect partnership. 

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Goals win games, not pressing.

Pressing is often what gets you in positions to score goals, though.

Ings is a great goalscorer when you get him in position to score a goal, but he's too passive in certain game situations. Not through any fault of his own, but he just lacks the attributes.

We all know that in an ideal world we'd have a player with Ings's technical attributes, and Ollie's athleticism, and then we wouldn't be having the debate. The idea that one of them is head and shoulders above the other is nonsense. They're both flawed in different ways.

Ultimately, you look at 2020-21 and Watkins scored 11 in 35, and Ings scored 7 in 30. Goalscoring isn't just about finishing ability, it's about helping your team create chances through your own workrate, runs off the ball, pressing, bullying, link up play, etc. There's a reason Emery has been starting Watkins over Ings.

I really like Ings, but let's not pretend he's the answer just because he scored a good goal and nearly set up another one. He's had plenty of games for us where he's done nothing.

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Even in a fading Smith team and the total shit show of a Gerrard team they looked good together in spells.  I'm sure some Emery wizardry will see them form a perfect partnership. 

Their offspring would be the perfect striker/forward.

oh not that kind of partnership oopsie 

Â