Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Come summer time there's a decision to be made. He'll have only 1 year left on his contract and will have a remaining book amortisation value of about £8.5m. So if we sell for more than that we book a profit. I doubt at his age he'd take a 1 year extension he'd want min 2 years to take him to 34yo. 

All depends on what players we have. Hopefully we make another attacking signing 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Couldn’t disagree more with this.  He fits Emery’s style because Emery has a couple of ways of playing and while he’s not getting any younger he’s scoring and playing well under Emery.  You don’t sell strikers that are scoring, most of the PL are looking for goalscorers and some of our fans are trying to get rid of one of ours….it would be a dumb move to sell now, thankfully Emery has said he’s not spoke to Ings about moving on this month so most likely staying.  Thank god!

Exactly his contribution against Wolves should have been a goal and assist if Bailey had taken his chance at the death. All that from the bench. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Come summer time there's a decision to be made. He'll have only 1 year left on his contract and will have a remaining book amortisation value of about £8.5m. So if we sell for more than that we book a profit. I doubt at his age he'd take a 1 year extension he'd want min 2 years to take him to 34yo. 

All depends on what players we have. Hopefully we make another attacking signing 

He’s never relied on pace so he can last longer.  If he gets offered a big last contract with another club then fair enough but I hope he extends his contract with us because he’s a great back up striker and even starter in some cases.  It’s so hard to score in the PL and he can do it and has a wealth of experience that our younger players can learn from and seems a nice guy.  I wouldn’t be looking to cash in on him any time soon.

• Like 1

His average minutes this season is just over 45 mins per game so 6 goals is a good return. Different option to bring off the bench and you can actually rely on him to score goals. Would be silly to get rid.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s never relied on pace so he can last longer.  If he gets offered a big last contract with another club then fair enough but I hope he extends his contract with us because he’s a great back up striker and even starter in some cases.  It’s so hard to score in the PL and he can do it and has a wealth of experience that our younger players can learn from and seems a nice guy.  I wouldn’t be looking to cash in on him any time soon.

It's a tricky one as ideally we'd keep him for the next 18 months imo. If we did that we'd get no fee for him and he'd leave for nothing just as he turns 32. The alternative is a 2 year extension as I can't see him accepting just an additional year. If we went with a 2 year extension and dropped his wages to 100k that would drop his annual cost from ~£15m to about £8mil as the remaining year of amortisation on his contract would be spread over 3 years.

Whatever is decided it needs to be looked at this summer

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

It's a tricky one as ideally we'd keep him for the next 18 months imo. If we did that we'd get no fee for him and he'd leave for nothing just as he turns 32. The alternative is a 2 year extension as I can't see him accepting just an additional year. If we went with a 2 year extension and dropped his wages to 100k that would drop his annual cost from ~£15m to about £8mil as the remaining year of amortisation on his contract would be spread over 3 years.

Whatever is decided it needs to be looked at this summer

Yeah and I bet initial chats may have already started, maybe in the discussion where Emery spoke to him about not moving on in this window.  Who knows! It wouldn’t surprise though if he did get an extension in some form.  I guess it depends what other offers are on the table from other clubs and what role Emery sees for him based on any other transfer decisions.

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

giphy.gif

Yep shouldn't be too hasty with Ings he knows where the goal is and with ball players such as Kamara, Ramsey, Bailey he'll finish off chances. He's just not very mobile but quality backup for the time being. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, birdman said:

Yep shouldn't be too hasty with Ings he knows where the goal is and with ball players such as Kamara, Ramsey, Bailey he'll finish off chances. He's just not very mobile but quality backup for the time being. 

Edison Cavani was two or three years older than Ings now and scored almost 20 goals for Manure in 2020/21. Having an older, skilled finisher is priceless sometimes. Nicely complements the young stallions on the wings.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sell him, and if Watkins is injured, just play Bailey up front. Need to try and get some return on the daft 25m price we paid and we can’t afford to pay a player £125k a week to sit on the bench. 

So you want Guendouzi and Lo Celso, and to sell Ings.  We can’t be more opposite.  

Guendouzi I’m coming around to but certainly not based on his Arsenal stint and Lo Celso is a big no from me, I thought he was bang average at Spurs.  Fortunately for Argentina he was injured because Mac Allister was a difference maker and helped Argentina win the World Cup, with a different style of player in Lo Celso, Argentina may not be winners now.  As for Ings, I think he’s earnt his place here and playing and scoring under Emery and I hope he stays which seems very likely until the summer and I hope beyond.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sell him, and if Watkins is injured, just play Bailey up front. Need to try and get some return on the daft 25m price we paid and we can’t afford to pay a player £125k a week to sit on the bench. 

Crazy stuff. He's been here 18 months and is in his 3rd coach. Like everyone else we need to let Emery coach them to be better players and play to their best.

Ings Vs Wolves shows you what impact he has. Away to Brighton too. It's a squad game and we need two Strikers fighting it out for starting place in the team. 

Also he's 30 years old. He'll be playing in Prem and scoring goals for another 4 or 5 years. His football intelligence and his finishing are his best attributes and age won't diminish those. If he signs an extension he'll trade longer contract for a lower wage. 

I assume plans for him are fluid tbh. How Archer does, how Duran does will be key. But Ings gives you over 0.62 goals and assists per 90. That's his record in his last 4 seasons and is on 0.66 goals per 90 this season.

He is clearly a talented player and we need him in the squad. 

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Crazy stuff. He's been here 18 months and is in his 3rd coach. Like everyone else we need to let Emery coach them to be better players and play to their best.

Ings Vs Wolves shows you what impact he has. Away to Brighton too. It's a squad game and we need two Strikers fighting it out for starting place in the team. 

Also he's 30 years old. He'll be playing in Prem and scoring goals for another 4 or 5 years. His football intelligence and his finishing are his best attributes and age won't diminish those. If he signs an extension he'll trade longer contract for a lower wage. 

I assume plans for him are fluid tbh. How Archer does, how Duran does will be key. But Ings gives you over 0.62 goals and assists per 90. That's his record in his last 4 seasons and is on 0.66 goals per 90 this season.

He is clearly a talented player and we need him in the squad. 

Uh, I heavily doubt Ings will still be playing in the prem and scoring goals for another 4 or 5 years. At least, it won’t be anything close to a good level. I know we can all think of counter examples but those are very much anomalies

32 years old is about the cut off point for a good pl striker. This season we only have Welbeck and Antonio at that age. Beyond that we have Vardy(36), Aubameyang(33), Ronaldo(37) before he left and Diego Costa(34). Most of these players only have 1 league goal scored the entire season so far and some of these guys were great in their prime to say the least.

If Ings somehow breaks away from this pattern, it’ll be unexpected. We probably only have 1-2 years left of him where we can reliably expect him to maintains his former levels. After that who knows.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â