Tim Iroegbunam

useless

I thought he did fine. He's a tidy player who needs a run to progress but we can't give him that yet unless there's more injuries.

• Like 1

I think UE showed a lot of faith in Tim to start him away in Ajax. That’s a champions league venue and they have great fans who really get behind the team. 

I thought he did what was asked of him. He sat in the middle of the park and was disciplined. He also gave McGinn a chance to get a bit of a rest. 

• Like 4

The fact Emery trusted Tim to do that job in that atmosphere in a knockout game is a really good sign for his development. That was by far the biggest game he's ever played. McGinn had a knock but even if he wasn't an option to start, Emery could still have picked Tielemans alongside Luiz in the middle with Zaniolo Bailey Kellyman options higher up the pitch. Or rewind a few weeks, at the start of February he could have registered Chambers as his backup holding midfielder after Dendoncker left (he won Fulham player of the season playing there in 2018-19).

Something that has also been overlooked - Tim has played hardly any football over the past 12 months. His last first team start was for QPR in April 2023. This season he has only played 3 games for the U21s and before last night, 37 minutes across 5 sub appearances for the first team. So he's not only inexperienced, he's rusty and hasn't been able to find a rhythm. No surprise he went down with cramp after 70 minutes.

His biggest issues appear to be those associated with most young players (concentration, fitness, positional awareness) but also confidence. If last night doesn't give him the confidence and drive to push on, nothing will.

• Like 4

It's up to him now. If he can be trusted to start at Ajax he should be trusted at West Ham and v Wolves.

He's raw and will make errors in certain parts of the pitch but we see other clubs through in young players (Mainoo at Man. United and Miley at Newcastle and they've done alright) so at worst it increases his value again ahead of the summer window...

• Like 1

Well if he doesn't start the next 3 then everything that's been said about him was bollocks. If we go with the Youri-Luiz pivot I give up. 

Truly at the bottom of the barrel looking for scraps here but looked fine and composed while he was on. Now is his moment, he needs to take it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Well if he doesn't start the next 3 then everything that's been said about him was bollocks. If we go with the Youri-Luiz pivot I give up. 

Truly at the bottom of the barrel looking for scraps here but looked fine and composed while he was on. Now is his moment, he needs to take it. 

Yeh Youri can't play there, just doesn't have the awareness at all.

If the rest of the defence and midfield is more solid and consistent I think he will be fine. Naturally when it weakens he's likely to find it harder.

Konsa-Carlos-Pau-Moreno

Bailey-Tim-Luiz-Ramsey

Doesn't look too bad if we can maintain that, as soon as Pau or Ramsey miss out it's a big drop off. 

• Like 1

I reckon we start with McGinn Tielemans in the middle against Ajax (take off Tielemans after 45 or 60 minutes), then Luiz Iroegbunam against West Ham.

Luiz was out on his feet understandably at the end today, having played 90 minutes on Thursday and again today with 10 men for a significant spell.

Don't really get the negativity.

He was playing in the prem in April 2022 so with another 40 games in the league below he's not some totally untried youngster.

People been laughing at Ten Hag and Howe all season but those managers have been brave enough to put in Mainoo and Miley and give them a run of starts. It's now time for Unai to do the same with Tim.

• Like 2

Did okay today during the period when it was still a game.

Big couple of weeks for him now - he should be starting against Ajax, West Ham, Wolves and Manchester City.

No pressure Tim!

Posted (edited)

For now just has to get the basics right, if he keeps it simple and doesn't look out of place then that will be a good sign, and then can hopefully grow and show more as he gets more game time, as happend with Ramsey when he was first breaking into the team

Edited by useless

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did okay today during the period when it was still a game.

Big couple of weeks for him now - he should be starting against Ajax, West Ham, Wolves and Manchester City.

No pressure Tim!

Doubt he’ll be starting v Ajax now, unless Luiz is getting rested, as McGinn has freed himself of league duty for a few games.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Should've started imo and gave us the extra body in midfield. Looked okay when he came on.

I agree, he looks like he had got a bit of energy in him, unlike the rest

Edited by Follyfoot

Â