Tim Iroegbunam

useless

Cometh the moment…

Have to take the chances when they come and I hardly think we’ll see 50 pace Youri in the double pivot. 

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Doubt he’ll be starting v Ajax now, unless Luiz is getting rested, as McGinn has freed himself of league duty for a few games.

I would hope he does, Luiz looks out on his feet and the rest would do him good.

We sold off a lot of our best youngsters which we could hsve done with now. One not bu choice of course who isn't getting much game time at Chelsea.  It's a policy which has come back to bite us. A young player from the academy is far more likely to show the necessary commitment than many loanees who come on high wages. Time to give this lad a chance. 

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We sold off a lot of our best youngsters which we could hsve done with now. One not bu choice of course who isn't getting much game time at Chelsea.  It's a policy which has come back to bite us. A young player from the academy is far more likely to show the necessary commitment than many loanees who come on high wages. Time to give this lad a chance. 

It hasn’t come back to bite us though has it? Iroegbunam is building up minutes and improving just because Archer scored against us doesn’t meant it’s bitten us we had to sell to generate and income that’s how football works. 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Archer who doesn't get starts for one of the worst teams in the Premier league ?

Ramsey whose out injured 90% of the time and doesn't get starts when he is fit ? 

Azaz who isn't getting starts for Middlesbrough?

Or philongene whose playing well in the championship ?

Just wondering without hindsight of the injuries we have which we have no control over when planning players and budgets for the season, who, out of the ones we sold this season to generate players like pau coming in would be making a difference ?

9 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Archer who doesn't get starts for one of the worst teams in the Premier league ?

Ramsey whose out injured 90% of the time and doesn't get starts when he is fit ? 

Azaz who isn't getting starts for Middlesbrough?

Or philongene whose playing well in the championship ?

Just wondering without hindsight of the injuries we have which we have no control over when planning players and budgets for the season, who, out of the ones we sold this season to generate players like pau coming in would be making a difference ?

Archer is injured, that's why he's not playing. I think the last game he played he scored In the 3-1 win at Luton. I get the ffp stuff but you look at Liverpool and hoe their young players have come in and done a great job. Maybe they have better ones than us.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Our injuries are heavily tilted towards the defensive area of the pitch. Archer, Philogene and Aaron Ramsey being around still would not have actually helped that much at all, and we'd be worse off under FFP to boot.

• Like 1

Not sure what Emery didn't see in him in training that meant he didn't start him. The fact Emery would rather try a completely untested new formation, against a team that leaves themselves open at the back regularly and perfectly suited to our normal style of play,  thn give him a run out... we'll it's concerning. 

Get the feeling Emery doesn't think he's ready. But he doesn't have a choice now.  Let's hope he steps up.

• Like 1

I would go with Tim/Luiz v Ajax (Rogers left/Bailey right) with Mcginn next to Watkins as that works really well then at West Ham we bring back in Youri up top - Definitely sink or swim time now 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Archer is injured, that's why he's not playing. I think the last game he played he scored In the 3-1 win at Luton. I get the ffp stuff but you look at Liverpool and hoe their young players have come in and done a great job. Maybe they have better ones than us.

Our kids beat their kids 2-0 away from home the other day (and deserved it): https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/march/03/u21s--liverpool-0-2-aston-villa/. Including a few of theirs that featured in the League Cup Final and beat Southampton in the FA Cup. We have talent coming through our youth system, though of course there would be no shame in Liverpool having a better system than us.

Bringing it back around to Iroegbunam...I think after injury problems in 2023 he needed an extended period to recover and start training with the first team again. I'm not sure he would have been fully ready for a loan by January, so it was the right choice to keep him at Villa. Clearly we needed to reduce the wage bill, hence letting Dendoncker leave and putting more immediate trust in Tim. Of course nobody expected Kamara's ACL, so he will get more opportunities than Emery intended.

Tim showed at QPR and in youth football that he is very talented, but the position he's being asked to play is tactically very important and difficult within Emery's system. It will take him more time to adapt than your average youth player thrown into the team, told to go out and express themselves.

• Thanks 1

Just now, omariqy said:

No choice ennit. 

He won't get a bigger chance at a bigger side than this to start a run of crucial games in his career. 

I really like him, I hope he can impress. 

Can’t help but think he’s got something to him. Just needs a bit of confidence. 

Will probably be shitting it knowing that it’s now or never for him. 

We could in theory play Chambers as a DM, or play Luiz there and put Tieleman's in  Luiz's position, and then Rogers, Diaby, or Zaniolo in Tieleman's position, so we do have other choices, I think Iro will be the one to come in, but we have scope to change it during games, or if we think starting him on Thursday and then again on Sunday is asking a lot.

I'm wondering if Iroegbunam coming into the first team will make room on the first team bench for Lamare Bogarde, or maybe even Borland, that's if we wanted to replace him on the bench with another midfielder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Not sure what Emery didn't see in him in training that meant he didn't start him. The fact Emery would rather try a completely untested new formation, against a team that leaves themselves open at the back regularly and perfectly suited to our normal style of play,  thn give him a run out... we'll it's concerning. 

Get the feeling Emery doesn't think he's ready. But he doesn't have a choice now.  Let's hope he steps up.

Ummm he’s been building minutes gradually he started mid week and of top of that he’s barley played any football in the last 12 months due to injury so his workload has to be managed. The formation that everyone keeps on blabbing about is the same one we used last season to be Spur at their stadium the only difference was personnel. The idea was to nullify the attacking threat of their fullbacks and hit them on the break which we did in the first half we limited them to a single shot on target and should have capitalised on our opportunities .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think we can play Pau and Luiz in the double pivot now Carlos is back. But if it's Timmy time, sound.

Has Pau ever played in midfield? If he hasn't then I don't think the knockout stages of a European competition is the best time to start experimenting.

Â