Tim Iroegbunam

useless

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Yes I'm baffled by the reactions, other than mistake before he went off, I thought he had a solid game, won possession back a number of times, and at other times when he couldn't win it back, he was still making sure they couldn't pass it exactly as they wanted, kept it simple in possession, but given the circumstances was probably told to do so. Also as I've stated numerous times, he's not actually used to playing as the main DM, given it was his first start for us, and it was away to Ajax in a European Quarter-Final I thought he did okay,

He did okay, but also he was repeatedly out-muscled and ran into trouble on two occasions. He looked like someone used to playing in the Championship -- which he is. He'll grow. But in old Championship Manager ratings it was a 5 out of 10 for him tonight, imho.

• Like 1

He did ok when you consider everything. He’ll learn from it. You can tell that he has the ability. Ajax aren’t great but it was still a big stage for a rookie tonight. 

• Like 1

You want to keep the wage bill manageable,you have to carry a Tim or 2 on the roster. Definitely struggled but he harassed Ajax and allowed McGinn to ride the bench for the majority of the match. Job done, averagely. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You want to keep the wage bill manageable,you have to carry a Tim or 2 on the roster. Definitely struggled but he harassed Ajax and allowed McGinn to ride the bench for the majority of the match. Job done, averagely. 

'A Tim or two' I feel that's doing him a huge injustice and almost writing him off as a below par-to-average squad filler. He's still a kid who's barely played. We don't know how far his potential can take him.

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

'A Tim or two' I feel that's doing him a huge injustice and almost writing him off as a below par-to-average squad filler. He's still a kid who's barely played. We don't know how far his potential can take him.

I'm not saying he's the finished article but currently, until his development is complete, he is squad filler. I would much rather have Tim performing that role at a very affordable wage versus a Dendoncker or Chambers. 

• Like 3

I thought without the ball he was quite good - he made some good tackles and didn't look like a raw kid.

With the ball is a different story, but he showed glimpses of what experience will make of him. He played one awful pass 2nd half to almost let them in, but other than that I dont think he stood out as being particularly bad.

Relatively, I thought he was better than Luiz.

I don't think he's really ready tbh. I'm sure he'll be better next season but I'm not sure we can't replace him with better either. If we get CL I expect he'll make way. Not a bad player but he's got a long long way to go to be up to the standard required imo. 

• Confused 1

Need to give him time but he's going to be playing a fair bit with Kamara out for the season. Hopefully he'll learn from tonight and we've got the coach to help him improve.

54 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

As expected from a young player gaining experience at a higher level keep up the good work .

Praise be - He had a decent game, not the best, but he's turning out at the JC Arena, many seniors players shit themselves at Legia, give him some time. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, useless said:

Yes I'm baffled by the reactions, other than mistake before he went off, I thought he had a solid game, won possession back a number of times, and at other times when he couldn't win it back, he was still making sure they couldn't pass it exactly as they wanted, kept it simple in possession, but given the circumstances was probably told to do so. Also as I've stated numerous times, he's not actually used to playing as the main DM, given it was his first start for us, and it was away to Ajax in a European Quarter-Final I thought he did okay,

Was it? I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with discussing or understanding the development of younger Villa players. It's not an area where I have the depth of knowledge evident in so many others on VillaTalk. Sounds like I'm taking the piss, but no -- I know my limits.

All that said, I wasn't too impressed by Tim today, and I'm OK with saying that because it really isn't what we should be worried about. He seemed chaotic on the ball and out of his depth for the most part. Big deal. Could be my angle of view, too, but his positioning seemed problematic, like he was making it almost impossible to take passes from our centre backs. He never seemed to run into spaces to receive passes either. Maybe those weren't his instructions. But what do I know about tactics? Not much. He just often seemed knotted up with Ajax players and unable to shake them, and then standing around ineffectually at other times.

I can only go off what I saw with my own eyes on the telly. Is that really so scandalous to voice?

Please note -- I'm glad he played. Not to be too cynical, but if we don't play our younger players, we reduce their value as assets, too, and we can't afford that. I'm not even sure if the question of "Was Tim Good Or Not?" is all that relevant from this fan's perspective. Today was needs must, weren't it? Do we really want to stamp a label of GOOD or BAD on today's performance? I don't think any knows how he'll turn out yet. He's got to play. What can he learn from today? That's the question. He's got to be given a chance. And if he's given his requisite chances and doesn't progress, well, we all know what that means. We'll be better poised to move him on if he has some kind of public profile, even if it's not all highlights-reel quality.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pinebro said:

He isn't ready yet.

I'd be looking to get him a loan in the summer

He hasn’t had much chance to be ready though, hasn’t played regular football since last season. And dropped into a European fixture Ajax away for his first start under Emery. I thought he was understandably nervous, and probably stopped the flow of our play at times not offering up for the ball but it was a massive occasion 

Â