Tim Iroegbunam

useless

I have a great feeling about this one not based on much in particular... By all accounts we seem to have taken WBA's 'Carney' albeit in a more defensively minded role.

He is apparently best mates with Barry, as they came up through Sutton Coldfields at the same time before both being picked up by WBA, which is not a bad thing given how much of villa players seem to be genuine friends which each other and I'm sure leads to a great atmosphere in the camp similar to the England squad in the Euros.

Whilst he'll be a long way off yet, he made it the matchday squad of the first team towards the end of the season and he seems to play in a role we are crying out for at the moment. Whilst there some nominal CDMs such as Raikhy and Bogarde in the wings I'm not sure either fit into the archetype destroyer whilst being comfortable on the ball that Tim has shown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do these transfers work? Do we just offer a contract and the player can choose where he wants to go?

Did he just turn 18 and is this his first proper contract.. in effect he was a free agent pending the contract bring signed?

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I hear he was a stand out player in their youth system, is that true?

I hear every youth player we sign recently is a stand out player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Crikey.  Our songs are going to have to get inventive in a few years if all these players with strange exotic names break through to the first team.

To be fair, it's about time our songs got inventive.

• Like 1

I watched him for Albion against Everton in the FA Youth Cup just before they played us and he was one of their standout players I remember thinking he was the closest thing they have to a Chukwuemeka type in midfield, not as attack minded but he did get forward well, seemed more of a box-to-box midfielder than a DM, he was also one of their better players against us in the FAYC Semi-Final. Winning their academy player of the season is not to be underestimated either, they've still got a lot of good players in their youth system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's what I said to my Albion mate. 

He's gone from bitter envy to anger to resigned depression about it all. 

Naturally I've been trolling him mercilessly.   :)

Being in heavily baggies-leaning Halesowen, this is a great time to be a Villa fan.

My Baggies mates keep saying "we might aswell close the academy". That would be the ultimate act of self immolation.

I think they're mostly just furious with their owners right now, not us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's what I said to my Albion mate. 

He's gone from bitter envy to anger to resigned depression about it all. 

Naturally I've been trolling him mercilessly.   :)

They are a little upset about things aren't they.

They've gone from Pride of the Midlands to our feeder team in three years.

Isn't it great to see the Villa acting like the biggest club in the area again at last...the last 10 years have been a gift to the Baggies but now they had their fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might seem like jumping the gun for someone we've not even kick a ball for u23 yet but I think with all this talk at the moment of a marquee signing at CDM it was acknowledging Tim.

He wouldn't have joined already broken through WBA first team for money alone, Mark Harrison is constantly harping about evidencing the pathway to youth players and I feel Tim would have been given some assurances in his chance to break into the first XI in due course / our coaching team liking his profile for us.

Given that I think his presence impacts the profile of player we go after for CDM. Papa Sarr is a good example, the same age as Tim despite accomplishing far more. I can not see us signing another 18 year old in that role for the same window. Douglas Luiz is only 23, so whilst I don't think that means we need to bring in an aging head purely for experience as we will still seek to invest in players with re-sell potential. 

I do like the profile of Cheick Doucoure and seems fairly experienced for his age but to me the age and profile of JWP (26) lends itself far more to both providing immediate impact for the first team as well as keeping the pathway for players such as Tim open (and continue to attract top level youth talent as they see evidence of this pathway).

22 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Could be perfect for the DM role.

Run it past TRO first, but he seems to tick all his boxes!

Incidentally I watched the game, he had a good outing, some lovely passes. Ramsey was excellent and Young also very bright, and they had a trialist who gave a good account of himself too.

• Haha 1

On 29/07/2021 at 14:04, ZL- said:

I have a great feeling about this one not based on much in particular... By all accounts we seem to have taken WBA's 'Carney' albeit in a more defensively minded role.

He is apparently best mates with Barry, as they came up through Sutton Coldfields at the same time before both being picked up by WBA, which is not a bad thing given how much of villa players seem to be genuine friends which each other and I'm sure leads to a great atmosphere in the camp similar to the England squad in the Euros.

Whilst he'll be a long way off yet, he made it the matchday squad of the first team towards the end of the season and he seems to play in a role we are crying out for at the moment. Whilst there some nominal CDMs such as Raikhy and Bogarde in the wings I'm not sure either fit into the archetype destroyer whilst being comfortable on the ball that Tim has shown.

You could be onto something here!

Â