Tim Iroegbunam

useless

'Tim Iroegbunam: Midfielder on academy award, Premier League involvement and signing for Aston Villa'

“There was a few of us from the youth setup that travelled down. In the morning we had a pre-match meeting where we were shown the team and I saw my name. I just started smiling,” explains Tim Iroegbunam, casting his mind back to his first inclusion in a Premier League squad.

Playing for West Bromwich Albion, a 17-year-old Tim was named among the substitutes against Leeds United on the final day of the 2020/21 season by then Baggies manager Sam Allardyce.

“Being involved, at the stadium and watching them play was great for me as a young player,” he adds.

“It was a great experience. Just seeing what they do and how they go about things before the match was eye-opening.

“There were also fans back in the stadium so to be involved with that atmosphere and everything else that came with that made it a greater experience.

That first inclusion with the senior squad came off the back of a remarkable season in the club’s academy.

After impressing in the Under-18 Premier League, the talented teenager was eventually promoted to Albion’s Premier League 2 side, where he continued to raise eyebrows.

In the FA Youth Cup, Tim scored twice and registered an assist on the Baggies’ route to the semi-finals, leading to him scooping a coveted individual award.

“I think I did well in the FA Youth Cup,” he said.

“I scored a couple of goals and as a team we did well and we were pleased to get as far as we did.

“Also, to win the club’s Academy Player of the Year award was obviously a great feeling and a real honour.

“I knew that I had played well and had a good season, but I didn’t expect to win it, so it came as a nice surprise.”

The recognition was a reflection of Tim’s importance within the academy setup but it also made other clubs further sit up and take note.

One of those interested parties came just three miles down the road in the shape of Aston Villa and, at the end of July, Tim, who comes from Great Barr, made the short trip to sign for the Premier League Villans.

Although having an eye firmly on continuing his progress towards becoming a first-team regular, the midfielder will initially be part of Villa’s impressive youth ranks.

Speaking shortly after the move, Tim, who has been described as “athletic” and “technically very good” by Academy manager Mark Harrison, explained his decision to move.

“I was drawn to Villa because it presents the opportunity for me to develop more.

“The club has a solid base and format to work with, and there are clear pathways to get to where you want to get to within the club because I want to be involved with the first team as much as possible.

“I’m settling in well and the fact I haven’t had to move far has been helpful for me there.

“I haven’t been here long but the training has been really good. It is a new challenge and something that I am very much looking forward to.”

Famed for producing recent £100 million man Jack Grealish, Tim is also joining a Villa academy full of local talent having won the FA Youth Cup last term.

The young Villans saw off Liverpool 2-1 in May to win the trophy for the first time since 2002.

“I’m looking forward to playing with a talented side to try and continue the FA Youth Cup win from last season,” said Tim.

“I think when you are around a good group of talented players you help each other and learn things from one another which will help me develop.”

As a relative unknown to Villa fans at such a young age, the midfielder is keen to get going and prove his worth to his new supporters.

“I don’t really set myself goals, but I just want to push to be the best I can be,” he said.

“Trying to make an impact is the aim, I want to show everyone that I have been signed for a reason.

“I am quite a versatile midfielder. I like to think I have got both sides to my game because I like to get forward but I also like to defend.

“I like defending most, winning the ball back and getting involved in tackles and things like that.”

Despite being confident in his capabilities on the pitch, Tim is aware of the room for improvement and highlights one particular aspect of his game as one to work on.

“I think the thing I need to improve most is my finishing.

“I have actually scored a few goals and don’t quite well in that respect, but I need to make sure I focus and do everything I need to do to improve that.

“That’s probably the last big thing because I hope one day I’ll be able to do everything needed to be that box-to-box midfielder.”

Whether it’s in the Youth Cup, Premier League 2, or training with the first-team, if the 18-year-old’s recent progress is anything to go by, we’re sure more and more Villa fans will soon know the name Tim Iroegbunam.

Omni Sports

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, useless said:

'Tim Iroegbunam: Midfielder on academy award, Premier League involvement and signing for Aston Villa'

“There was a few of us from the youth setup that travelled down. In the morning we had a pre-match meeting where we were shown the team and I saw my name. I just started smiling,” explains Tim Iroegbunam, casting his mind back to his first inclusion in a Premier League squad.

Playing for West Bromwich Albion, a 17-year-old Tim was named among the substitutes against Leeds United on the final day of the 2020/21 season by then Baggies manager Sam Allardyce.

“Being involved, at the stadium and watching them play was great for me as a young player,” he adds.

“It was a great experience. Just seeing what they do and how they go about things before the match was eye-opening.

“There were also fans back in the stadium so to be involved with that atmosphere and everything else that came with that made it a greater experience.

That first inclusion with the senior squad came off the back of a remarkable season in the club’s academy.

After impressing in the Under-18 Premier League, the talented teenager was eventually promoted to Albion’s Premier League 2 side, where he continued to raise eyebrows.

In the FA Youth Cup, Tim scored twice and registered an assist on the Baggies’ route to the semi-finals, leading to him scooping a coveted individual award.

“I think I did well in the FA Youth Cup,” he said.

“I scored a couple of goals and as a team we did well and we were pleased to get as far as we did.

“Also, to win the club’s Academy Player of the Year award was obviously a great feeling and a real honour.

“I knew that I had played well and had a good season, but I didn’t expect to win it, so it came as a nice surprise.”

The recognition was a reflection of Tim’s importance within the academy setup but it also made other clubs further sit up and take note.

One of those interested parties came just three miles down the road in the shape of Aston Villa and, at the end of July, Tim, who comes from Great Barr, made the short trip to sign for the Premier League Villans.

Although having an eye firmly on continuing his progress towards becoming a first-team regular, the midfielder will initially be part of Villa’s impressive youth ranks.

Speaking shortly after the move, Tim, who has been described as “athletic” and “technically very good” by Academy manager Mark Harrison, explained his decision to move.

“I was drawn to Villa because it presents the opportunity for me to develop more.

“The club has a solid base and format to work with, and there are clear pathways to get to where you want to get to within the club because I want to be involved with the first team as much as possible.

“I’m settling in well and the fact I haven’t had to move far has been helpful for me there.

“I haven’t been here long but the training has been really good. It is a new challenge and something that I am very much looking forward to.”

Famed for producing recent £100 million man Jack Grealish, Tim is also joining a Villa academy full of local talent having won the FA Youth Cup last term.

The young Villans saw off Liverpool 2-1 in May to win the trophy for the first time since 2002.

“I’m looking forward to playing with a talented side to try and continue the FA Youth Cup win from last season,” said Tim.

“I think when you are around a good group of talented players you help each other and learn things from one another which will help me develop.”

As a relative unknown to Villa fans at such a young age, the midfielder is keen to get going and prove his worth to his new supporters.

“I don’t really set myself goals, but I just want to push to be the best I can be,” he said.

“Trying to make an impact is the aim, I want to show everyone that I have been signed for a reason.

“I am quite a versatile midfielder. I like to think I have got both sides to my game because I like to get forward but I also like to defend.

“I like defending most, winning the ball back and getting involved in tackles and things like that.”

Despite being confident in his capabilities on the pitch, Tim is aware of the room for improvement and highlights one particular aspect of his game as one to work on.

“I think the thing I need to improve most is my finishing.

“I have actually scored a few goals and don’t quite well in that respect, but I need to make sure I focus and do everything I need to do to improve that.

“That’s probably the last big thing because I hope one day I’ll be able to do everything needed to be that box-to-box midfielder.”

Whether it’s in the Youth Cup, Premier League 2, or training with the first-team, if the 18-year-old’s recent progress is anything to go by, we’re sure more and more Villa fans will soon know the name Tim Iroegbunam.

Omni Sports

Thanks, though I wished I were Short Circuit about now..

• Haha 1

I thought he looked good against Forest, some great passing from him, I hadn't realized that he was so good at that part of the game, but looks like it might be one of his strenghs.

• Thanks 1

On 13/08/2021 at 23:30, thunderball said:

Run it past TRO first, but he seems to tick all his boxes!

Incidentally I watched the game, he had a good outing, some lovely passes. Ramsey was excellent and Young also very bright, and they had a trialist who gave a good account of himself too.

Don't worry, I have my eye on this kid.

On 18/08/2021 at 14:50, Dave-R said:

Is this another WBA guy, I can only imagine there hate for us on there forums lol.

No more than normal ;)

I did actually read a lot of their academy thread. I think their anger lies more with the management at Albion itself rather than us taking the players. Asking why are they allowing it to happen etc. 

The Baggies have had a clear run at the top local talent over the last few years as Villa haven't really taken it seriously. They are now aware we are taking it very seriously.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZL- said:

Without rehashing the beaten to death CM debates here. Now the end of the window has come without additions in CM, it becomes more clear the theory of leaving space open for the youth players is a likely tact from the villa management.

Tim was absolutely magnificent last night, took the game by the scruff the neck, showed presence and good technical skill and presence in the middle of the park but is killer weapon is unpicking defences from deep, which apart from McGinns low success high balls, don't really have.

He appears to be more of an 8, which we can't stop churning out at the moment, but think that was also due to the dominance of the performance rather than need to sit back. Do think one or two of our surplus of box to box CMs in youth will develop into holding midfielders - makes sense they develop the overall part of their game first and later on pick up the positional discipline of the 6 role.

Let's not forget Tim was in the first team for WBA end of last season, I have no doubt once he has spent adequate time in the u23s learning the way we like to play, he will be next up to break into the first team. If this guy had 10 appearances for a Ligue 1 team playing the way he does we would all be buzzing.

Yes I’ve liked him each time I’ve watched him play, to be honest I can’t think of many young Defensive Midfielder’s  in football point blank , youth level tends to play football first , I’m sure we could have and eye on moulding him into more of a DM if he makes it to the first team

2 hours ago, ZL- said:

Let's not forget Tim was in the first team for WBA end of last season

He was on the bench for the last game of the season. 

Not a negative of course, but a bit more factual. He seems very highly rated and I have only heard good things about him so far. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would I be right in saying he’s our closest youth product to the first team in that defensive midfield role? 

Do we think he can make it? 

either him or Raikhy.

Iroegbunam is 19 (20 in Aug 22), Raikhy is 18 (19 in Oct 21).

Its interesting to consider, is Raikhy further along because he is younger and is actually out on loan playing mens football?, or is Iroegbunam further along because he is a little older and is being kept around the squad rather than loaned out?

I think both look very capable, will be interesting to see if either make it.

Maybe we might even see a double pivot of Iroegbunam and Raikhy!!! 😜

Edited by MaVilla

I think Iroegbunam might be younger than our website suggests, the West Brom website had his date of birth down as 30/06/2003, which would mean he's only just turned eighteen and slightly younger than Louie Barry. The later birthdate for him that's on our website is the same date of birth that's on transfermarkt who aren't exactly reliable for dates of birth, but looks like whoever updated his page on our OS took his DOB from there.

Edit: the earlier '30/06/2003' birthdate for him is the correct one, his page on our website has been updated

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would I be right in saying he’s our closest youth product to the first team in that defensive midfield role? 

Do we think he can make it? 

I don't think he's a DM either but he is more defensive minded than Chuk.

To be honest, the sounds of it Chuk-Iroeg could be a strong midfield as they have similar attributes but focus slightly more on opposite phases of play, as long as they didn't fall into Lampard-Gerrard due to being similar but think their slight differences would help make them a decent pairing.

It's tough to say as I've only watched a couple of appearances at Villa and most of my opinion of him is forged by others' opinions of him. But he looks composed, technical and a step above everybody else in the team.some of his passing has been sublime. He did also go missing in one of the games that was on VillaTV last week and then gradually came back into it. So has some development needs.

I think he could be a League Cup player next season, maybe the odd appearance at the end of this season when we've solidified our position and have room to blood another (like Chuk & JPB last year)

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think Iroegbunam might be younger than our website suggests, the West Brom website had his date of birth down as 30/06/2003, which would mean he's only just turned eighteen and slightly younger than Louie Barry. The later birthdate for him that's on our website is the same date of birth that's on transfermarkt who aren't exactly reliable for dates of birth, but looks like whoever updated his page on our OS took his DOB from there.

Edit: the earlier '30/06/2003' birthdate for him is the correct one, his page on our website has been updated

Yeah because I'm fairly certain he can plays in the youth Cup this season. Him. And that centre back we signed I'm pretty sure were aimed at retaining the trophy. 

Â