Tim Iroegbunam

useless

35 minutes ago, Thug said:

You’re not wrong in what you’re saying, and Gerrard isn’t wrong in what he did.  The clean sheet was important to us as a team, and it gives a springboard going forwards momentum wise.

but for me personally, the game didn’t need ‘seeing out’, it was well and truly won by the time Young came on.  These really are prime opportunities for the kids to come on and just get some minutes under their belt.  No pressure situations, just go enjoy yourself.

I don’t mean it as a moan, just a little disappointed by it - for the young’uns

Same, but l guess the point is that this game was a bad opportunity for him to learn the top level because it wasn’t being played out like a normal game. 

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

When do you bring them on then? Do we have to be winning 4-1 with 10 minutes left?

Depends.

Sheffield United did that around the 85th min mark when 3-0 and we drew 3-3.

It's always a risk, but like you I was hoping for a youngster.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thug said:

You’re not wrong in what you’re saying, and Gerrard isn’t wrong in what he did.  The clean sheet was important to us as a team, and it gives a springboard going forwards momentum wise.

but for me personally, the game didn’t need ‘seeing out’, it was well and truly won by the time Young came on.  These really are prime opportunities for the kids to come on and just get some minutes under their belt.  No pressure situations, just go enjoy yourself.

I was also a little disappointed not to see the kids come one,  but I suppose the message and mentality it’s not over yet be professional ect was important to get across that and the fact Ash played well last game.

44 minutes ago, Thug said:

I think we were all keen to see Iroegbunam come on instead of Young. The kid is still young though and there will be plenty of opportunities for him going forward. If his head is screwed on right he'll still just be happy that he's part of the match day squad.

a message to the players. If you play well you get picked the next game . Yes he brought Digne back in but Ash is there really as a back utility player at the age of 36 . One that earned the right against Southampton to play again. Me pesonally would have brought on Carney and Tim but thats my villa fan amateurish opinion, not my considered expert analysis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

a message to the players. If you play well you get picked the next game . Yes he brought Digne back in but Ash is there really as a back utility player at the age of 36 . One that earned the right against Southampton to play again. Me pesonally would have brought on Carney and Tim but thats my villa fan amateurish opinion, not my considered expert analysis

That's a pretty good point to be honest. Young did enough last match to deserve to keep his spot so it's probably fitting that he still got minutes. 

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Clean Sheets are gold dust.......In terms of pursuing betterment and consistency, they are hallmarked.

I don't want to sound patronising, but trust the manager.

Of course, and that’s what I said in my post.

But, Douglas Luiz is the guy that was brought off.  Now if you can’t trust a player enough to see out 4 minutes of a game where you are 3-0 up in their preferred position… when *can* you trust them?

Young has played in champions leagues, World Cup, European Championships.

I don’t think 4 minutes against Leeds is going to be particularly exciting for him.

Again, it sounds like I’m having a huge moan.. but I’m really not.  It’s a nothing thing in the scheme of things.  Just found it a little odd given these are exactly the kind of opportunities that these kids are waiting for - and through my own experiences - can be very disheartening.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thug said:

Of course, and that’s what I said in my post.

But, Douglas Luiz is the guy that was brought off.  Now if you can’t trust a player enough to see out 4 minutes of a game where you are 3-0 up in their preferred position… when *can* you trust them?

Young has played in champions leagues, World Cup, European Championships.

I don’t think 4 minutes against Leeds is going to be particularly exciting for him.

Again, it sounds like I’m having a huge moan.. but I’m really not.  It’s a nothing thing in the scheme of things.  Just found it a little odd given these are exactly the kind of opportunities that these kids are waiting for - and through my own experiences - can be very disheartening.

None of us have the full picture. Dougie could have been carrying a knock for example. The coaches see things that we don’t, both on the pitch and behind the scenes. Let’s just ride the wave and hope it continues. 

• Like 1

Strangest thing about it would be anyone thinking that bringing him or chuck on in the 80th minute could have turned the tide to the extent that we would draw that game, I know villa fans have a rough history but come on Leeds were **** terrible and dead in the water, that's as good a scenario to bring a youngster on as we will get, the game was dead, a sub wasn't going to change that 

I think Gerrard could have put me on for 10 mins and I'd have been confident of nothing changing 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thug said:

Just found it a little odd given these are exactly the kind of opportunities that these kids are waiting for - and through my own experiences - can be very disheartening.

Further to this, our stated model now is bringing through the best young players. See, eg:

It's a sensible model for a club in our position; get the best young players we can, get them through being seen to bring players through and give them more game time than other clubs would do, and then you can either sell them for pure profit (great for FFP!) or have a very promising young player you didn't pay for.

The challenge with that model, though, is that we *actually have to pick the younger players and play them in situations when other clubs might not*. If that means going from a 0.5% to a 1% chance of a draw in a fundamentally meaningless game with Leeds then 🤷‍♂️ too bad, you need to do it sometimes.

As you said @Thug, it's not a big complaint. We were still great, it was a fantastic performance to watch and everyone is rightly happy. But though this is a *minor* blip, it's still a blip.

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Further to this, our stated model now is bringing through the best young players. See, eg:

It's a sensible model for a club in our position; get the best young players we can, get them through being seen to bring players through and give them more game time than other clubs would do, and then you can either sell them for pure profit (great for FFP!) or have a very promising young player you didn't pay for.

The challenge with that model, though, is that we *actually have to pick the younger players and play them in situations when other clubs might not*. If that means going from a 0.5% to a 1% chance of a draw in a fundamentally meaningless game with Leeds then 🤷‍♂️ too bad, you need to do it sometimes.

As you said @Thug, it's not a big complaint. We were still great, it was a fantastic performance to watch and everyone is rightly happy. But though this is a *minor* blip, it's still a blip.

I'd argue that we are actually playing the young players. 

We're still very early into the youth model but you can see progression already. 

Ramsey is only 20 and has nearly 1800 minutes this season, which is up form 600 last season. 

Chuk is 18 and played 186 minutes this season across 8 different games. 

Plus some of the others who are now out on loan like Philogene-Bidace and Archer have had exposure. 

Tim has started to break through already and his minutes will increase this year and next. 

• Like 1

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Called up to the U19s along with Carney and AJ

Haha, had to double glance. I thought Teddy Sheringham was in goal for a minute.

That's great though, would be great to see them all starting together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Haha, had to double glance. I thought Teddy Sheringham was in goal for a minute.

That's great though, would be great to see them all starting together.

Haha, glad it wasn't just me. I had a double take as well. 🤣

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

New contract till 2027 and a full fledged member of the first team squad. Good to see, hopefully he gets minutes now

Also,

We broke Don Lange. SMILE AGAIN

image.jpeg.16063ef56f8d938e775e1334d27b1d8a.jpeg

Chap on the right here needs to take a shit pretty badly, is my analysis.

• Haha 1

Â