Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Martinez, Mings, Kamara, Luiz IMO - not that any of them have been brilliant, but Bailey has disappeared from games regularly, and I think those 4 offer more consistency and more fight from game to game. His main attribute is that he can magic something out of nothing, but he needs to be more consistent throughout the 90 mins and offer a bit more defensively.

But I agree he's been one of our better players.

Martinez has had some absolute howlers this season by his standards.

Mings, Kamara and Luiz have been very good so far. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jim said:

Thought all the players hated Gerrard?

More interestingly just saw another clip. Check around 1:40 mark. He was asked if sometimes players need to step up, as they can tend to hide behind the Manager . He sighed and then said " The important thing, is the players actually DID what the Manager asked today " 👀

Now I know we give SG stick, but is this sort of a tell that they haven't really been doing it otherwise?

Doesn't take anything away from SGs flaws obviously, but I think SG also mentioned the same thing in one of his post match earlier!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Martinez has had some absolute howlers this season by his standards.

Mings, Kamara and Luiz have been very good so far. 

Martinez's levels have dropped, but he has also pulled off big saves in most games. It's a bit like Bailey - a mix of moments of brilliance, and some absolute shite.

I don't think anyone really stands out so far because the team has been collectively so poor. But yeah, Bailey, Martinez, Mings, Kamara, Luiz are the ones you'd fancy to start every game, and then everyone else is fighting for the shirt as I see it. Watkins has probably squeezed into that group now as well.

What makes Bailey key is we don't really have anyone else like him. Definitely a special player, but needs to bring that extra level of hussle and consistency to his game over 90 mins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

More interestingly just saw another clip. Check around 1:40 mark. He was asked if sometimes players need to step up, as they can tend to hide behind the Manager . He sighed and then said " The important thing, is the players actually DID what the Manager asked today " 👀

Now I know we give SG stick, but is this sort of a tell that they haven't really been doing it otherwise?

Doesn't take anything away from SGs flaws obviously, but I think SG also mentioned the same thing in one of his post match earlier!

Yep. It goes hand in hand with what SG said about Arsenal. In practice they gave the players specific things to do and look out for but they failed to do them during the game.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Could mean a few things. 1) SG has asked them to play a certain way, some haven't agreed with those bollocks tactics and have been trying to do their own thing, but today he changed the tactics and players finally agreed. 2) Players wanted SG sacked but learned from above that's not happening, so gave it their all yesterday

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Players often repeat what the manager says, as that's the message they receive in the dressing room after the game from him. Gerrard himself said in his interview that the players followed instructions today. It's probably just an extension of that with Bailey. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Best finisher at the club

Are you sure about this ? I would say this accolade belongs to Danny ings - sure Leon will score us some worldys from time to time, but given the right service - in my humble opinion Danny ings is our best goal poacher 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Are you sure about this ? I would say this accolade belongs to Danny ings - sure Leon will score us some worldys from time to time, but given the right service - in my humble opinion Danny ings is our best goal poacher 

Definitely. Ings or Archer.

I am genuinely excited about what Bailey could become though, I think he's got a load of talent and it's a huge season for him.

Â