Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

I think his game is more suited to the counter attack.

He struggles when it comes to running at players who sit deep and show him onto his week foot.

I'd start him against Leeds 100% as they will leave room in behind that he can exploit and we can catch them on the transition.

On 17/09/2022 at 08:14, pete101 said:

Got bullied by a child, he physically needs to get himself together, way too easy to push him off the ball, anyone who thought he was ok is deluded

I agree - this guy is made of glass and has an overrated view of his own worth - he needs to wind his neck in, grow a pair and get on with it.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2022 at 08:17, CVByrne said:

He's had plenty of good games this season relative to others. He's allowed one bad game. The team isn't playing well in attack at the moment so our attacking players aren't going to be shining

Agree. Generally he has been better than some others. He had a stinker the other day but he looked frustrated and knew it. I'm sure he'll be desperate to make amends. Looks like our main goal threat at the moment too seeing as our "strikers" are as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

30 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

A few good games, a crap game but we scrape 3 points. All wasn't lost on the bad performance 

Can't justify his performance because we won the game, we could have been out of sight if he didn't keep losing the ball,

I've heard a lot of people say he is more suited to games like city where he is playing on counter, but in this game there was lots of moments like this. It's clear he needs to put some work in the gym to bulk a bit.

the reason he frustrates me so much is because it's clear that there is a real player in him (unlike traore who was all tricks very little end product), 

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

He's going to feast against Leeds.

Have a feeling.

Wouldn’t that be nice. A little brace out of nowhere and a performance where he’s unplayable. Its been frustrating with the stop-start nature of his time here. Cant believe we’ve only been treated to 2 goals and a few assists in that time. We might aswell have kept Grilledfish for those sort of numbers.

At least he’s kept fit and the best is yet to come, still got hopes he can find his form from Germany soon 🤞

On 20/09/2022 at 15:22, pete101 said:

Can't justify his performance because we won the game, we could have been out of sight if he didn't keep losing the ball,

I've heard a lot of people say he is more suited to games like city where he is playing on counter, but in this game there was lots of moments like this. It's clear he needs to put some work in the gym to bulk a bit.

the reason he frustrates me so much is because it's clear that there is a real player in him (unlike traore who was all tricks very little end product), 

I’d take Traore’ over him in a heart beat. I see absolutely nothing in Bailey to suggest he is a better player - as for no end products, surely you can recall his finish at West Brom.?

I still find it incredulous that Gerrard in his infinite wisdom thought it a good idea to ship him out. We are one of the most boring, uninspiring teams to watch right now - At least Bertie gave me hope and lifted my spirits.  

• Like 3

Yeah, saying Traore had no end product is very harsh and IMO simply not true. He was very clever and effective in the final third. I know it's been said a million times but 14 goal contributions in his first season supports this.

I do like Bailey though, they're just different players.

Traore was certainly more effective for us (pre injury issues) than what Bailey has been so far though.

Once we get the midfield sorted (will need Gerrard to go for that), hopefully Bailey will pick up.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

If Traore is being castigated for a lack of end product then I really do wonder what people are seeing in Bailey. I think he has the potential to be a good player, but he hasn't given us a fraction of what Traore did in his first season, and tbh given the choice between the two of them ATM I don't think I'd opt for Bailey

Bailey would of course be helped if we had a manager who believed in actually using wingers to provide width

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

On 23/09/2022 at 17:01, ChesterDad said:

I’d take Traore’ over him in a heart beat. I see absolutely nothing in Bailey to suggest he is a better player - as for no end products, surely you can recall his finish at West Brom.?

I still find it incredulous that Gerrard in his infinite wisdom thought it a good idea to ship him out. We are one of the most boring, uninspiring teams to watch right now - At least Bertie gave me hope and lifted my spirits.  

Never said no end products

Rubbish again. Far too many flashes and nowhere near enough consistency. I just dont think he's going to make it here. His footballing IQ is low too. Just tried to do the same thing all the time regardless of what or who is around him.

Â